Questions for those who keep neos in Fluval Spec 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Questions for those who keep neos in Fluval Spec 2


I recently had the pleasure of getting my feet wet with neos (yellow, chocolate and blue velvet) by making a trade with Soothing Shrimp. At any rate, I've had my shrimp (about 20 or so) in my 2 gallon Fluval Spec since Monday, and I have a few general questions:

1. How often should I feed my shrimp? Soothing Shrimp gave me a sample of Jake's veggie sticks and instructed me to feed one pellet per 10 shrimp every other day? Despite having 20 shrimp in my tank, I've only been dropping in one pellet every other day because not all the shrimp are adult sized. I'm wondering if I should feed only a couple of times a week so as not to pollute the water.

2. Based on whatever feeding schedule is recommended, how often and in what quantities should I be doing water changes? I've done one 20% water change so far and will probably do another one tonight. I know that w/c schedules can vary, so please try to tie it to your recommended feeding schedule.

3. For those of you who are using the stock filter on the Fluval Spec, you know that it is pretty strong for the size of the tank, which is probably a good thing for the shrimp. However, are any of you able put floaters in your tank? Duckweed won't work, but I'm wondering if any of you have had success with larger floaters like frogbit. Perhaps, I might even need to go bigger with dwarf water lettuce. I'd feel more comfortable about my water parameters if my tank had more than just moss, anubias and jungle val to suck up nitrates.

If anyone has any other tips or pointers in terms of keeping shrimp in really small tanks, then I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
tandaina
Algae Grower
 
tandaina's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 130
Default

1. My shrimp mostly feed themselves off algae. If the tank is heavily planted (I have lots of moss) and has a good algae culture (I don't clean glass, etc) you don't need to feed a ton. I drop a veggie wafer in once to twice a week. Over feeding in a small tank can lead to bad water, I err on the side of less.

2. Some will disagree but... A cycled, heavily planted tank should be very stable. I don't do water changes... I top off. I will occasionally do a 20% change, once a month maybe? I have no issues with this. Note: I have a lot of filtration and all my tanks were cycled before adding any fauna. I feed lightly.

3. I have floaters in a tank with quite a bit of surface agitation and they do just fine. Heavier things like water lettuce, I don't have any duckweed.
tandaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
1. My shrimp mostly feed themselves off algae. If the tank is heavily planted (I have lots of moss) and has a good algae culture (I don't clean glass, etc) you don't need to feed a ton. I drop a veggie wafer in once to twice a week. Over feeding in a small tank can lead to bad water, I err on the side of less.

2. Some will disagree but... A cycled, heavily planted tank should be very stable. I don't do water changes... I top off. I will occasionally do a 20% change, once a month maybe? I have no issues with this. Note: I have a lot of filtration and all my tanks were cycled before adding any fauna. I feed lightly.

3. I have floaters in a tank with quite a bit of surface agitation and they do just fine. Heavier things like water lettuce, I don't have any duckweed.
Thanks for you answers. How big is the tank that houses your shrimp? For my 2 gallon tank, I'm thinking about feeding once a week (2 tops) and doing a small (<20%) water change a couple of times a week and definitely after every feeding. I've been slowly phasing out the frogbit in my 20 gallon tank in favor of red root floaters, which I find more aesthetically pleasing. However, instead of tossing out 2-3 frogbit plants a week, I think I'll throw them into my 2 gallon tank. The more mature plants have very long roots, which I hope will help them thrive despite the fast moving current.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
tandaina
Algae Grower
 
tandaina's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 130
Default

The shrimp will actually hang out in, and feed on algae on the roots of floaters, it is fun to watch.

My shrimp colony is a 9 gallon. Have a few in a 5 gallon as well.
tandaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
The shrimp will actually hang out in, and feed on algae on the roots of floaters, it is fun to watch.

My shrimp colony is a 9 gallon. Have a few in a 5 gallon as well.
Nice. I got some plants in an RAOK that I'm going to plant in my 20 gallon tonight. While I'm at it, I think I'm going to pull out several frogbit plants with long roots and throw them in my 2 gallon shrimp tank.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Axelrod12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 631
Default

I keep CRS in a spec 2. I don't have a solid answer for the feeding question as I don't really have a schedule. I just feed small amounts of various jake's food maybe 2-3 times a week. My tank is very well established and planted with lots of moss and other plants so the shrimp have plenty to feed off of.

People argue against larger water changes in shrimp tanks because shrimp like consistent parameters, large changes can alter these parameters suddenly. I've seen 20% changes recommended and this is what I perform weekly, and I've even gone two weeks with no problems. I'm not sure if changing too often can effect the shrimp similarly to changing too much at once. Perhaps someone more experienced with shrimp can chime in on that.

As for the floaters/flow, I currently don't have anything in my spec besides a little duckweed that snuck in. I do this so more light gets to the other plants. However, I have successfully kept salvinia, water lettuce, amazon frogbit, and duckweed in the tank.

When I set the tank up for shrimp I looked into methods of reducing the flow from the filter. I wanted the shrimp to be able to move freely about the tank. Two suggestions I found were cutting a couple holes in the output tube in the back of the tank. This allows water the escape the tube similar to a spray bar. I believe this would work fine. However, rather than alter the filtration system I opted for a small cut up piece of aquaclear sponge over the output nozzle. This reduces the flow considerably but still allows for some slight surface movement. Perfect in my opinion. Some people would consider the sponge to be a bit of an eyesore but it doesn't bother me one bit. You can see it here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...874&highlight=
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GreenBliss's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WCH Ohio
Posts: 518
Default

I don't have a Spec tank, but I do have a 3.2g tank with Pumpkin Neos and I thought I would comment anyways.

1. I have over 30 shrimp in that tank and feed them three times a week (M,W,F). I give them organic veggies or Jake's foods. Enough food to last two hours. If the food stays in there over two hours, next time, I cut back the amount.

Sometimes I put in powder food for the babies, but I have a lot of algae on the glass and the babies seem to love it.

2. I do 10% water changes in all my tanks weekly or every 10 days. Haven't had a problem yet with that amount.

I know a lot of people on here do water changes at different amounts or they just do top offs. Whatever works for you and your shrimp.

3. Floaters can adapt to the flow most of the time. I have a tank with a lot of flow and I have a ton of floaters.
__________________
18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
I don't have a Spec tank, but I do have a 3.2g tank with Pumpkin Neos and I thought I would comment anyways.

1. I have over 30 shrimp in that tank and feed them three times a week (M,W,F). I give them organic veggies or Jake's foods. Enough food to last two hours. If the food stays in there over two hours, next time, I cut back the amount.

Sometimes I put in powder food for the babies, but I have a lot of algae on the glass and the babies seem to love it.

2. I do 10% water changes in all my tanks weekly or every 10 days. Haven't had a problem yet with that amount.

I know a lot of people on here do water changes at different amounts or they just do top offs. Whatever works for you and your shrimp.

3. Floaters can adapt to the flow most of the time. I have a tank with a lot of flow and I have a ton of floaters.
Are you really only supposed to leave the food there for 2 hours? Both times I fed my shrimp, I left it there for a whole day before vacuuming what was left and doing a water change. Can anyone else comment on how long they leave food in the water for their shrimp to feed on?
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 599
Default

Are you aware these shrimp will interbreed and have wild type offspring?
CheyLillymama22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GreenBliss's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WCH Ohio
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
Are you really only supposed to leave the food there for 2 hours? Both times I fed my shrimp, I left it there for a whole day before vacuuming what was left and doing a water change. Can anyone else comment on how long they leave food in the water for their shrimp to feed on?
If you go to the "Shrimp & Other Invertebrates" forum and search on feeding shrimp, you will see other opinions. Most will say 2-4 hours.

Too much food can foul the water, cause TDS to raise, and other issues. You can get Planaria which is a nasty worm that kills shrimp.

If you have food a day later in your tank, you are feeding too much for sure.
__________________
18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyLillymama22 View Post
Are you aware these shrimp will interbreed and have wild type offspring?
Yes, I'm aware. This is my first foray into keeping neos, so I wanted to try a few out and see how well I like them in my 2 gallon tank. I'm going to roll with what I have right now, but going forward, I think I'm going to try to go with regular old red cherries (perhaps fire red). Of the ones I got from Soothing Shrimp, the yellows stand out the most. The chocolates aren't too difficult to spot in my tank, but it can be difficult to find the blue velvets and malawas.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
If you go to the "Shrimp & Other Invertebrates" forum and search on feeding shrimp, you will see other opinions. Most will say 2-4 hours.

Too much food can foul the water, cause TDS to raise, and other issues. You can get Planaria which is a nasty worm that kills shrimp.

If you have food a day later in your tank, you are feeding too much for sure.
Good to know. I think I'll go with the 2-4 hour rule. I'll feed when I get home from work, and remove the food before I go to bed.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Default

Over the weekend, I went ahead and threw a whole bunch of frogbit in my Spec 2. With enough of them in there (especially ones with longer roots), they don't get pushed around by the current at all. My shrimp seem to love it. It's easier to spot them now because they like to hang on to the roots. However, the lighting is very subdued, which isn't a bad thing I guess since nothing I have planted in my tank needs a ton of light. I'm hoping the frogbit will help to keep my water parameters more stable. I think I'll throw a couple of newborn guppy fry in there whenever my females pop out their next batch. It'll make the tank more interesting to look at with the fry swimming threw the jungle of roots. I won't be feeding them, so we'll see how they do in there. If they grow to a large enough size to pose a danger to the shrimp, then I'll move them out and replace them with smaller fry.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012