Bathtub Pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Bathtub Pond

So, for my birthday my girlfriend surprised me by buying me a pond. The catch, it's a bathtub! This will be a work in process but I'm looking for advice and suggestions along the way. This will be by far the most ambitious fish related thing I've ever attempted. The closest I have gotten is a 40 gallon. The tub holds about 53 gallons. I'm still in the planning/ cleaning and repairing the tub stage. I will have to paint the bottom and reattach some of the legs. I know how to do that. My first question is hooking up filters/ pumps. I was hoping to open the drain as the in for the pump and use the faucet or the other whole toward the top for the out. If anyone has suggestions that would be great.

Also, I have no idea what will be living in this pond. I live in Austin so it is mostly hot but in the winter at night it can get to 39 degrees. The spot it is going in will be shaded except for maybe one hour in the afternoon.

Last edited by Fishumms; 05-12-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
HSA1255
Algae Grower

I like that! It's unique. Do you have any concerns about metals leaching? I'm sure you can seal it if needed. Will check back on this thread to see how the bathtub pond turns out.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

would look better if u dig a hole and submerge the tub
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Fishumms
Planted Member

On the inside it is just clean white so I think it is still fine and sealed.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

A buddy of mine used the same thing except he dug the tub into a hole because it didn't have any legs. About half a foot of it was exposed to avoid any unwanted pests getting inside but he just used the small tetra fountain filter and it gets the job done.

The filter is rated for ponds 50 gallons to 250 gallons and cost about $85 at our LFS.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I did this- exact same thing.

Get some Great Stuff 'Pond and Stone' to seal the drain. You can also coat the inside with this.

I partially sunk mine in a brick patio based with sand, leveled it. I surrounded it with older, half cut railroad ties about 12-14 inches from the side that were stacked as high as the rim. This made a planter all the way around when filled in with topsoil and potting soil. I placed flat stones on the rim all the way around to hide it. I built some of these up and sealed them together to make a waterfall at the back left 'corner' of the tub that was fed from a large pond sponge filter at the bottom.

I left a few 'gaps' in the sides of the stacked RR Ties to plant mosses and trailing plants in.

I stacked a few ceramic bricks around the inside wall of the tub to grow marsh marigolds, siberian iris and a few other bog type plants- taller ones toward the back. I grew the marsh marigolds right over the rim and into the planter area.

Inside the tub I dropped in a bag of very plain topsoil- capped with dark pea gravel. I planted a couple of dwarf water lilies and horsetail in that.

I had three Shurunkin/Shubunkin.

In the planter part- between the tub and the RR Ties- I planted a few different colors of Columbine, Dwarf bearded Iris, Alstromeria, Dogtooth violets, Wild violets, Lady Slipper, Coltsfoot, wild buttercups and a Clematis vine that I let grow and meander around the RR ties. I dotted in a few different annuals every year too, and always grew old fashioned alyssum and Stock- the combo smelled sooo good.

I then wound a long mini white christmas light strand around it.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Fishumms
Planted Member

I don't think I'll be burying it. I like the idea of not having to get on my hands and knees to do stuff in it. Also, I think it will "fit" in our yard since it is just mostly gravel.

@luminescent I'd love to see some pics of that thing. What do you use for filtration?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

If metal I'd worry about it getting REALLY hot. Burying might be the best bet.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Fishumms
Planted Member

Does anyone have suggestions on filtration? Is there like a canister filter specifically for outdoors?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
I don't think I'll be burying it. I like the idea of not having to get on my hands and knees to do stuff in it. Also, I think it will "fit" in our yard since it is just mostly gravel.

@luminescent I'd love to see some pics of that thing. What do you use for filtration?

very cool! don't bury it! that would be a shame. use the drain as the OUT, it will keep the bottom clean and make it easy to clean out when you need to. I would make the retun the facet !
gravity feed from the drain to your filter which you can hid anywhere as long as it is lower than the water level in the tub. put the pump after the filter and pump water to the facet.
a DIY sand and gravel filter is all you need, here is a link on how to build one, just use a smaller barrel. maybe a 20-30 gallon brute trash can
http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...-Gravel-Filter
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Fishumms
Planted Member

use the drain as the OUT, it will keep the bottom clean and make it easy to clean out when you need to. I would make the retun the facet !

@meganne That was exactly what I was thinking of doing! Thanks for the link. I was hoping to use this... http://www.123ponds.com/05405-9.html for the filter. I am just not feeling like adding the extra step of building my own filter.

I am not burying it. The whole point was for it to be a bath tub pond. I don't think it will get too hot. It will never get direct sunlight.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
use the drain as the OUT, it will keep the bottom clean and make it easy to clean out when you need to. I would make the retun the facet !

@meganne That was exactly what I was thinking of doing! Thanks for the link. I was hoping to use this... http://www.123ponds.com/05405-9.html for the filter. I am just not feeling like adding the extra step of building my own filter.

I am not burying it. The whole point was for it to be a bath tub pond. I don't think it will get too hot. It will never get direct sunlight.

What about burying it 1/2 way than surrounding the tub with plants , etc.

I mention burying it half way because I use stock tanks in the yard and the ground is amazing as far as controlling temp if hot or cool spells.

If it is not partially buried whatever the air temp is the temp your water will be .

If you are not going to bury it , consider endlers livebearers or guppy endlers hybrids which are pretty and take low and high temps.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #13
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lia I think he wants to see the cool old school footed tub, going for that "look"

Fishumms, I don't know how many gallons a tub hold, the filter you looking at handles 100 gallons so it says, but I find that they tend to over exaggerate. I suppose it is cheap enough to try but building a s&g filter is pretty darn easy. shoot, up flow it through a 75 gallon kitchen trash can of lava rock is uncomplicated and for sure enough filtration to handle that tub.
this was utilitarian so not even tried to hid the can but you get the idea...you could run tubing to and from the tub to anywhere
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Fishumms
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
Lia I think he wants to see the cool old school footed tub, going for that "look"

Fishumms, I don't know how many gallons a tub hold, the filter you looking at handles 100 gallons so it says, but I find that they tend to over exaggerate. I suppose it is cheap enough to try but building a s&g filter is pretty darn easy. shoot, up flow it through a 75 gallon kitchen trash can of lava rock is uncomplicated and for sure enough filtration to handle that tub.
this was utilitarian so not even tried to hid the can but you get the idea...you could run tubing to and from the tub to anywhere

Haha. Yes. Going for that look. Also I have 2 dogs and many un-welcomed animals in my yard and I want it to be rather inaccessible. I'm hoping even the raccoons will have a hard time getting up the sloped sides.

The tub only holds about 53-55 gallons. They sell some larger filters of the same design so I guess I can go bigger. I had a 500+ gallon aquaponic system when I lived in CA but I really don't want to do more work than I have to. As it is I have to run all the electrical as well as build some sort of base for the tub. Otherwise it will eventually start to sink into the ground. On top of preparing the tub itself. So I think I am going to go this route.

It poured all weekend, it hasn't rained almost a year, so of course as soon as I'm ready to paint it starts to pour. But I think tomorrow things will be dry enough.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Haha. Yes. Going for that look. Also I have 2 dogs and many un-welcomed animals in my yard and I want it to be rather inaccessible. I'm hoping even the raccoons will have a hard time getting up the sloped sides.

The tub only holds about 53-55 gallons. They sell some larger filters of the same design so I guess I can go bigger. I had a 500+ gallon aquaponic system when I lived in CA but I really don't want to do more work than I have to. As it is I have to run all the electrical as well as build some sort of base for the tub. Otherwise it will eventually start to sink into the ground. On top of preparing the tub itself. So I think I am going to go this route.

It poured all weekend, it hasn't rained almost a year, so of course as soon as I'm ready to paint it starts to pour. But I think tomorrow things will be dry enough.

Even if the raccoons get up it is to deep for them to catch anything , I have much shallower stock tans even a 50 gallon Rubbermaid , lots raccoons , opposums in area and it has never been an issue .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote