Oxygen?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
PlantedFishTank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oxygen?

In a planted tank, with plants to supply oxygen, is there a need for the use of air bubbles?
PlantedFishTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

As long as there is some surface movement u should not need an air bubbler. That being said. For your plants to provide enough oxygen depends on the amount of fish depleting the oxygen present, and how quickly your plants are growing. To rely solely on plants would mean your plants must be growing well, which means some source of co2 and fertilization.
So, unless your plants are growing fast then they are not providing sufficient oxygen for your fish, imo.
Additionally, plants only produce oxygen during photosynthesis, or during photo period, and produce co2 at night.
Best thing for a planted tank is adequate current, minor surface movement, no air bubbler. It will only off gas the limited amount of co2 u have in your water column already assuming u r not dosing co2.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the need for a bubbler may be misunderstood in many areas. It is an old standard that is still quite good. I gets water moving from bottom to topp and there has to be a certain amount of O2 into the tank water as the bubbles rise. But then the water is exposed to much more air at the surface than the bubble surface provides. This is where most of the gas exchange takes place.
Checking around, you will find many, many tanks will no bubbles but they do have filters set to move water from bottom to top. No bubbles needed but that does not mean that plants alone will get the job done. In tanks with no means to move the water, there is a good chance that it will pool in layers and spots in the tank may become useless for any fish.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Need? probably not...but no harm if you happen to like the aesthetics of the bubblers.

I too find it a dangerous assumption that photosynthesis will provide enough though to last through the "night" periods without some sort of induced gas exchange occurring. Your fish/plants/nitrifying bacteria all need O2 and I'd personally hate to wake up and find out that I assumed wrong...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
PlantedFishTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'd personally hate to wake up and find out that I assumed wrong...
That is my fear...

The only reason I ask is because I hear that the surface agitation of the bubble increases the loss of CO2, so I was wondering about conservation.
PlantedFishTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedFishTank View Post
That is my fear...

The only reason I ask is because I hear that the surface agitation of the bubble increases the loss of CO2, so I was wondering about conservation.
I don't inject with CO2 but it seems that most who do still tend to allow for some slight agitation (rippling) for gas exchange and then crank up the CO2 to the desired levels. Circulation is also a key issue within the water column. Might be a bit "wasteful" but you certainly want to make sure there is enough oxygen present too. With pressurized systems you're able to do so more easily. And with the levels we're concerned about in the aquarium, CO2 and O2 are pretty much independent...thus you can have high concentrations of CO2 and high enough O2 as well. Hopefully I'm not completely off on this, but this is what I've gathered from all the people here injecting CO2. A completely stagnant tank probably isn't the best way to go with a normal level of fish...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Have used no surface agitation or air bubblers with no issues for years for many CO2 planted tanks. Fish load generally low/moderate though. Air pumps do ensure against possible failures though; i.e. whole batches of plants dying off and decomposing due to whatever reason, lights failing etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.