Which tank to buy? 12 gal long 12" cube - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Not knowing your setup, well I know what tanks you have but haven't seen them, I am kind of guessing your 29 is your main tank.

I really struggled over and over trying to do something cool with a 29, I feel I did one as well as I could ever do it, I have only seen a few I really like. I know you haven't been at it long but if you haven't invested significant money into anything specific to the 29 (stand/lighting), I would consider moving away from it. I really wish someone made a rimless 20L as I love the size, probably better than my 60P in dimensions, but I cannot find anything outside of custom made.

On the flip side, my wife likes the 60P much better. It has enough "presence" in the room without being over the top. My house is small though.

I think tanks like the 60F are good if you either don't have room for bigger, or you have other tanks. I have considered a 60F for my 3rd tank (I am trying to limit my tanks now, I used to have up to 6 and it gets to be too much work) instead for a cube.

Between all the tanks you have thrown out...I am thinking 90P haha. I know that is probably doesn't seem like a straight line thought process but it is relatively wide, not that tall for the size, and deeper than other ADA offerings. You could start with a 40B or 50 and upgrade the tank later to save some money.

That said, if you ever want to come by and see my 60P, let me know. At our next meet, if you can make it, you can see a 12 long in person if you haven't seen either setup.

My thoughts are ditch the 29 and get something around the same size, 60P or bigger. Get your kids into that tank and replace the spec with a 12 long or cube (with approval from them). Or keep the spec, let them control that and have 3 tanks. I don't know how old your kids are but I know my friends daughter (4 years) has a good idea of what she would change about my tanks, haha.
This is actually my master plan haha. I am eventually going to replace the 29 once I get a better handle on these planted tanks with a 90P (or something like this) is my secret goal.

So right I am going to replace the spec with either a 12 gal long or something smaller. I'm just replacing the spec first.

Do you think a 60p and a 29gal will be too redundant?

When laying out the 29 it did feel a weird dimension.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I think so... especially if you're planning a 90p in the future. Go with the 12L or 60F for now.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #18
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
This is actually my master plan haha. I am eventually going to replace the 29 once I get a better handle on these planted tanks with a 90P (or something like this) is my secret goal.

So right I am going to replace the spec with either a 12 gal long or something smaller. I'm just replacing the spec first.

Do you think a 60p and a 29gal will be too redundant?

When laying out the 29 it did feel a weird dimension.
The top sounds like a plan. And again, you can spend about 1/10 of the cost in the short run and get a 40b, everything else can swap over to the 90P once you are ready.

As for the 60P and a 29 being too redundant...if you keep both, probably. I will be honest and say that the 60P is probably the worst dimensions from ADA in terms of a natural style tank. I was planning on doing a dutch tank before I got mine and was not sure if I was going to keep the 20 long I had or get another 29. Picture the 60p as similar to the 29 but add 3in more depth. Then they would almost be the same tank, the 29 being scaled up 1.25x. The extra 3 inch would do a lot for a 29, so the 60P is perfect for what I am doing. But, I think it would be a more "universal" tank at 24x12x12 or even better at 24x14x14.

I would say the 60P is a good replacement for the 29 though, if you don't mind going down. It's dimensions are better, it's a better tank, etc.

As per replacing the spec, it's actually not a bad size IMO but if you really want something different, a 12 long give you many options. There are other options that are closer to the dimensions of the spec to consider as well, just more high end. I think a Truaqua 8.6 would work, not sure if I have seen one in person. I am wondering if All About Fish may be able to order. Off the top of my head, almost seems like a small 60P just visualizing the dimensions. But, if you want to go with something more unique, the 12 gallon long is a size that works very well and can look way bigger than it is.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

There are multiple reasons why 60P is ADA's most popular tank. You can get the same size tank from Mr Aqua and, I believe, from AquaTop. I personally think that cubes and shallow longs are specialty tanks.

40B type tanks are best all around scaping tanks. If the budget is of concern, then get it. If not, then 90P or its clones from Mr Aqua or AquaTop.

If you do get a 40B now, your next tank is unlikely to be a 90P-type, they are just too similar. Your tank after that will be of different footprint. Yes, I can predict the future

Back to OP, take into consideration that long tanks are more expensive overall: lights, substrate, filtration will be more expensive then for a cube.

v3
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default 60F vs 12gal long

Thanks for all the responses!

Well I know what my main tank will eventually turn into now :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
There are multiple reasons why 60P is ADA's most popular tank. You can get the same size tank from Mr Aqua and, I believe, from AquaTop. I personally think that cubes and shallow longs are specialty tanks.

40B type tanks are best all around scaping tanks. If the budget is of concern, then get it. If not, then 90P or its clones from Mr Aqua or AquaTop.

If you do get a 40B now, your next tank is unlikely to be a 90P-type, they are just too similar. Your tank after that will be of different footprint. Yes, I can predict the future

Back to OP, take into consideration that long tanks are more expensive overall: lights, substrate, filtration will be more expensive then for a cube.

v3
That is a good point OVT about the accessories will cost more on the long tanks than a cube that is something to consider. I'll have to think about that.

I'm leaning towards the 60F or 12gal long at this point, as the spot I have it at now is a little big for a cube (Unless its one of those huge cubes that OVT has).

Any opinions between these two tanks? They both seem specialty and unique to me which I like. I might have to go to AFA to see if they have a 60F they can show me so I can compare.

The goal for the new tank is low iron, rimless, and hopefully use some nice RGB LED lights(current/finnex) to get good color and effects.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
OVT
Carpe Diem

You are always welcome to stop by and check out the 12long with water.

The regular ones already went up in price. I wonder what the low iron premium is going to be and would it be worth it.

v3
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You are always welcome to stop by and check out the 12long with water.

The regular ones already went up in price. I wonder what the low iron premium is going to be and would it be worth it.

v3
Yea that's the other thing I'm a little worried about. I don't know how much it will be. That and you mentioned that the regular one already looks clear.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

The 12g does require a longer, and therefore, more expensive light. However, I get great results from something like a Current Satellite Freshwater+ because of the shallow depth. What would might be too low powered on a cube is fantastic on a shallow tank.

Just more food for thought.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
The 12g does require a longer, and therefore, more expensive light. However, I get great results from something like a Current Satellite Freshwater+ because of the shallow depth. What would might be too low powered on a cube is fantastic on a shallow tank.

Just more food for thought.
Yea that's the light I want to use.

I think I'm moving away from the cube idea at this point.

I'm just now debating 60F vs 12 gal long :P 60F I think I'd have to suspend the light though to get coverage vs 12 gal long I could just set it on top.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Any opinions between these two tanks? They both seem specialty and unique to me which I like. I might have to go to AFA to see if they have a 60F they can show me so I can compare.

The goal for the new tank is low iron, rimless, and hopefully use some nice RGB LED lights(current/finnex) to get good color and effects.
AFA almost always has a 45 F or a 60 F setup, if not both. Usually they have most popular sizes setup, the only ones I don't see are the H's. Having them in stock is a different story but usually if they have things online, they have them in stock in the store, if they are out online, it's safe to assume they don't have it in stock. You can always call first.

I am actually surprised the old 12 longs are not high clarity, they look like they are to me.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I have both 12g and 12" cube.

the cube is actually less than 8 gallons but allow plants to grow taller which translates to less trim maintenance.

the 12g is better when fish are present as there's more horizontal surface area but the short height only allows for a few inches of stem growth before a trim is needed.

Go with whichever suits your long term goals. the 60F would be my choice if space allows.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
OVT
Carpe Diem

60F is 1/2 of 60P for $20 less. Why not get a taller, larger tank of the same footprint?

v3
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I love my 60F, but we only got one as a "specialty" tank because we have others... There's just something to be said about a shallow tank. It's just interesting and provides more places for the eyes to wander. Having emergent growth or hardscape protruding out of the water is simply cool, IMO.

Be inspired! Take a look at "Crimson Sky" by TGM. It's obviously on the larger scale than the 60F, but playing with "scale" is part of the challenge and what makes the hobby fun.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd
AFA almost always has a 45 F or a 60 F setup, if not both. Usually they have most popular sizes setup, the only ones I don't see are the H's. Having them in stock is a different story but usually if they have things online, they have them in stock in the store, if they are out online, it's safe to assume they don't have it in stock. You can always call first.
I think I saw the 45F setup at AFA and I instantly fell in love with the tank size and how they had it. I would have actually bought it on the spot had they had it in stock at the time but they didn't.

I dont think I have seen a 12gal long setup in person and may have to take OVT up on his offer sometime as it may sway me in one direction or the other.

Quote:
60F is 1/2 of 60P for $20 less. Why not get a taller, larger tank of the same footprint?

v3
This makes sense as well. I wish I didnt do the 29 and just got a 60P instead. But I cant go back in time. I can see why the 60P is a popular tank there is a lot of scapes that can be done with the size. I just have to think if I would buy the 60P now since I have a 29gal already that I just set up (people said the sizes were semi-redundant). They could be two entirely different scapes though which is also an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
I love my 60F, but we only got one as a "specialty" tank because we have others... There's just something to be said about a shallow tank. It's just interesting and provides more places for the eyes to wander. Having emergent growth or hardscape protruding out of the water is simply cool, IMO.

Be inspired! Take a look at "Crimson Sky" by TGM. It's obviously on the larger scale than the 60F, but playing with "scale" is part of the challenge and what makes the hobby fun.

Thats nice! I agree with hardscape sticking out but I dont know how sold I am on emergent growth just yet. The scale factor is the neat part in these small shallow tanks.

I think I've seen more striking scapes in the F series tank than the 12gal long tanks, but then again just because I've seen them isnt going to make mine better by default if I buy the 60F haha.

I'm sure I'll be happy with any of the tanks listed. It'd be great if I could buy all the tanks listed :P (well this might eventually happen, just deciding on which to get first).
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I was going to add one last thing. If you really love a certain footprint, sometimes it's just best to go with the size that can be redundant. I stuck with the 30inx12in. A 29 and 20L are similar enough in volume and size to where you can basically just swap the tank out without new lighting, new filter, new co2 system, etc. Stands will obviously not need replacing. So when you just have to buy the tank, it's pretty cool when you want to switch up.

That's why I like the 60CMx30CM. My long term goal is to move my little nano to my wife's office, setup the 60P in the bedroom and set up a 90P in the living room. My nano is 45CM so I could go with more than a few options. I could swap out a 60P for a 60F and just keep one in the garage, depending on what I want. The 90P would never get changed out because that is my ideal size tank, can't go bigger than that and I think the size is perfect.

Just something to consider. If you got a 12 long, you would not likely find a way to use the equipment you buy for it on a different tank. Lighting would be swapped out, filter would be swapped out, etc.

Not to complicate the matter, I just think it could simplify the decision for you.

I would visit OVT's to check out not only the 12 long but also his other sizes. Unfortunately he doesn't have his 60P anymore (was my favorite tank of his). He has a good variety of sizes going, not exactly what you are looking for outside the 12 long but you can compare a shallow tank to a not so shallow tank with the same footprint, among others.

Again, if you want to swing buy and see my 60P, call or text me. Not just for the tank but I can show you ways to get a 60P or 60F setup more cheaply as I did a lot of research before I started it up.