Which tank to buy? 12 gal long 12" cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Which tank to buy? 12 gal long 12" cube


I'm debating which tank I should buy next.

12 gal long or 12" cube. Since mr aqua announced a new low iron 12 gal long, I'm debating between that tank or an aquatop 12" cube.

They are very different tanks and there is already a place to put them. The only thing is I can't buy both as I don't have room for both.

Since some of you have a lot of tanks which would you say would be a good tank to buy? Would be mainly for plants and scraping.

Thanks!
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
carpalstunna's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: canton, ohio
Posts: 481
Default

ive always wanted a cube. just so classy looking in my opinion.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 486
Default

I adore my 12g long, but I think your choice really depends on what kind of plant care you enjoy. Cubes are great for letting stem plants really show off their full growth without crazy trimming demands on you. Stems in shallower tanks take A LOT of maintenance, or planning for them to bend at the surface.

I think the long tanks let you set up a great panorama, with a definite right/center/left division. Creating depth in them is a struggle.

Cubes are great for making a really deep, developed scape, but one that is viewed more as a single scene.

I say move some stuff around and get both, lol!
__________________
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,298
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

As you said, they are both very different so it's hard to just say. I think the 12 gallon long makes a very good divider type tank. For me, the 12 long has never been on my radar as if you don't have a unique place to put it that fits your home, it can take up as much room as a much bigger tank and since I don't absolutely love it, not for me. It is great for a collectoritis type tank as you can have a ton of plants in a small space. Not that you can't do a bunch of other things with it, just saying it's great for that.

I feel like the cube is the exact opposite. It's easy to pack a lot of life into a small footprint. Cubes can be hard to scape and I haven't done one myself but I am going to get a cube in a similar size once we redo our kitchen.

So yeah, to me, I think the 12 long is a great tank if you have a unique place for it, the cube is a great tank if you don't have a lot of space.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
DBL TAP
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 182
Default

If you ever plan to add fish I would have to suggest a cube. I have a 12 Long and I had to remove my fish out because they kept jumping out.
__________________

DBL TAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru
 
xmas_one's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,250
Default

I'd go with the 12 long. Cubes are near impossible to scape, better for reefs imho.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I think the long tanks let you set up a great panorama, with a definite right/center/left division. Creating depth in them is a struggle.

Cubes are great for making a really deep, developed scape, but one that is viewed more as a single scene.
I think you're right and this is what I'm currently struggling with. The cube scape is nice and has good depth, while the 12gal long is shallow and longer. If only there was a tank that would give both aspects nicely. Maybe an ADA 60-F is a good compromise? Depth and semi-panorama, just very short.

I wish I could get both lol. Well maybe in time, just basically trying to see which one I should get first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
As you said, they are both very different so it's hard to just say. I think the 12 gallon long makes a very good divider type tank. For me, the 12 long has never been on my radar as if you don't have a unique place to put it that fits your home, it can take up as much room as a much bigger tank and since I don't absolutely love it, not for me. It is great for a collectoritis type tank as you can have a ton of plants in a small space. Not that you can't do a bunch of other things with it, just saying it's great for that.
The statement of where to put it brings up a good point. This will most likely be viewed from the front and one of the side, so kind of like a corner thing.

It will be going on an expedit IKEA stand 4x2 squares. So there is space for either the cube or the 12 gal long (maybe ADA 60-F).

If I threw ADA 60F into the mix, would that change anyone's opinion?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (27/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 703
Default

I own both a 12 long and 12" cube. The long hands down! You have so much more room in the long to make the scape. This is my most recent scape i am doing dsm on now.

I could not have even done half of that in my cube. The long just looks so much larger than it really is.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 486
Default

Why not go with a Mr. Aqua 6g long, and a cube?
__________________
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,366
Default

What other tanks do you have in the arsenal? I have a 60F and really like it, but it has limited options to scape. Although playing with semi emersed is fun, I must say. These longer shallower tanks really can deliver the illusion of being much bigger than they are with the right scape in mind.

Cubes are okay, but I'd go with Pico cubes for shrimp tanks. Rectangular tanks for scapes that have taller stem plants.

A 12L that's high clarity would be nice! It's about time Mr. Aqua decided to make one. Especially with a Sat+, just look how nice zodduska's is.
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
lipadj46's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL TAP View Post
If you ever plan to add fish I would have to suggest a cube. I have a 12 Long and I had to remove my fish out because they kept jumping out.
I have endlers, a betta and otos in mine and none jump. Depends on the type of fish.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

I dont have a ton yet, I have a regular 29gal and a fluval spec 5.6 gal. Which I imagine would be like a mr aqua 6gal long (similar dimensions and all). When I get a new tank the fluval will come with me to work to keep the tank count at home to 2.

My other concern is I have a little one so the wife is a little worried about them putting their hands into the tank if it is shallow (which is a shame as I love the look of F series shallow tanks).

zodduska's journal is very nice and I also was talking to them on this subject.

Maybe a 60P then instead of a 60F? Gives the same footprint just a double the height.

I should really just change the title to this thread "Which tank to buy next" As it keeps on changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
What other tanks do you have in the arsenal? I have a 60F and really like it, but it has limited options to scape. Although playing with semi emersed is fun, I must say. These longer shallower tanks really can deliver the illusion of being much bigger than they are with the right scape in mind.

Cubes are okay, but I'd go with Pico cubes for shrimp tanks. Rectangular tanks for scapes that have taller stem plants.

A 12L that's high clarity would be nice! It's about time Mr. Aqua decided to make one. Especially with a Sat+, just look how nice zodduska's is.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
I own both a 12 long and 12" cube. The long hands down! You have so much more room in the long to make the scape. This is my most recent scape i am doing dsm on now.

I could not have even done half of that in my cube. The long just looks so much larger than it really is.
This looks really good!

It has similar aspects to what I would want my next tank to look like, I'll be following your journal to see how it works out for you.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post

Maybe a 60P then instead of a 60F? Gives the same footprint just a double the height.

I should really just change the title to this thread "Which tank to buy next" As it keeps on changing.
Yes! Join the 60p club! Haha... the 60p is my latest acquisition and I'm really enjoying mine. It's very versatile in scaping. The Ikea besta stand fits perfectly!

You can go ADA, or if you want to save some cash, go with the Mr. Aqua high clarity version like AnotherHobby's. I also know that CAD Lights has a Zen tank that's also high clarity that's a 23g.. CAD adds 2" to height and depth over other 60p's.

Like this one here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ld-279045.html
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,298
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
I dont have a ton yet, I have a regular 29gal and a fluval spec 5.6 gal. Which I imagine would be like a mr aqua 6gal long (similar dimensions and all). When I get a new tank the fluval will come with me to work to keep the tank count at home to 2.

My other concern is I have a little one so the wife is a little worried about them putting their hands into the tank if it is shallow (which is a shame as I love the look of F series shallow tanks).

zodduska's journal is very nice and I also was talking to them on this subject.

Maybe a 60P then instead of a 60F? Gives the same footprint just a double the height.

I should really just change the title to this thread "Which tank to buy next" As it keeps on changing.
Not knowing your setup, well I know what tanks you have but haven't seen them, I am kind of guessing your 29 is your main tank.

I really struggled over and over trying to do something cool with a 29, I feel I did one as well as I could ever do it, I have only seen a few I really like. I know you haven't been at it long but if you haven't invested significant money into anything specific to the 29 (stand/lighting), I would consider moving away from it. I really wish someone made a rimless 20L as I love the size, probably better than my 60P in dimensions, but I cannot find anything outside of custom made.

On the flip side, my wife likes the 60P much better. It has enough "presence" in the room without being over the top. My house is small though.

I think tanks like the 60F are good if you either don't have room for bigger, or you have other tanks. I have considered a 60F for my 3rd tank (I am trying to limit my tanks now, I used to have up to 6 and it gets to be too much work) instead for a cube.

Between all the tanks you have thrown out...I am thinking 90P haha. I know that is probably doesn't seem like a straight line thought process but it is relatively wide, not that tall for the size, and deeper than other ADA offerings. You could start with a 40B or 50 and upgrade the tank later to save some money.


That said, if you ever want to come by and see my 60P, let me know. At our next meet, if you can make it, you can see a 12 long in person if you haven't seen either setup.

My thoughts are ditch the 29 and get something around the same size, 60P or bigger. Get your kids into that tank and replace the spec with a 12 long or cube (with approval from them). Or keep the spec, let them control that and have 3 tanks. I don't know how old your kids are but I know my friends daughter (4 years) has a good idea of what she would change about my tanks, haha.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012