Do I really need Osmocote plus?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Arv
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do I really need Osmocote plus?

apparently O Plus is getting harder to find, unless someone wants to buy a bag and re-sell.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=349113

So I have eco complete and underneath is a layer of laterite and peat. I also dose modified EI. In a 38G I do have 5 amazon swords and DHG on the substrate, with the anubais roots growing into the eco since they are just on small slate rocks, and tons of java fern on driftwood.

Since I dose micros anyway, do I really need O Plus?

Aside from the micros in O Plus, what's the diff between regular O and O Plus?

Thx!

EDIT: I guess I was not clear on the thread title. I'm making some DIY root tabs and I already have the super sized gel capsules. Considering my set-up do I really need to use O Plus or regular O will do?

Last edited by Arv; 10-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: clarification
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

I know people here sitting on TONS of the stuff. itll be around here for a while I bet before everyone switches over. And I know at least 3 people selling it now here

I am new to using O+ and only dosed liquid nutes, had no problems except with needle leaf java fern... my amazon sword seemed fine, but wanted to add o+ anyway.

Errr, I think there might be some nutes in my substrate though so that could make this whole post useless except that first sentence... Ill go check that out
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

No you do not need root tabs. It helps and is a nice source of nutrients for root heavy plants when the water column runs out. You can also find people on the forums selling the tabs, but no you do need them. This is why you can grow plants in inert substrates.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Before I got some O+ tabs off of here I used to just use Jobe's fertilizer sticks from the hardware store. Works just as well as long as you don't accidentally pull one up.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
bud29
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)

You can also make your own clay root tabs, those are pretty effective as well. This is a good recipe, (although he did mess it up in the video, he says in the comments that it should be 1 cup clay, 1 cup csm+b, 1/4 cup dolomite 1/4 cup KNO3, 2 tablespoons kh2po4, 1 tablespoon k2so4)

^Click banner to view group!

The few. The proud. The shrimpkeepers
RAOK Club Member #82

"Adding aquarium salt to improve slime coat is like pouring lemon juice in your eye to make it water."
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
I know people here sitting on TONS of the stuff. itll be around here for a while I bet before everyone switches over. And I know at least 3 people selling it now here

I am new to using O+ and only dosed liquid nutes, had no problems except with needle leaf java fern... my amazon sword seemed fine, but wanted to add o+ anyway.

Errr, I think there might be some nutes in my substrate though so that could make this whole post useless except that first sentence... Ill go check that out
Can you tell me who's selling the O Plus?
thx!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
No you do not need root tabs. It helps and is a nice source of nutrients for root heavy plants when the water column runs out. You can also find people on the forums selling the tabs, but no you do need them. This is why you can grow plants in inert substrates.
I'm not sure if I should agree or disagree with you. It's either my growth spurts just happen a week or so after I put new root tabs in or they really work. I'm don't even dose N and P since the tank is pretty well stocked and I feed a lot so there's my N and P supply. It might be pretty lean but it looks like its enough per tests.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
Before I got some O+ tabs off of here I used to just use Jobe's fertilizer sticks from the hardware store. Works just as well as long as you don't accidentally pull one up.
Awesome Avatar!
Heard about those too! But I already purchased some giant gel capsules so might as well go through what I started.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Arv
Planted Member

Default Clarification: O plus or O?

I guess I was not clear on the thread title. I'm making some DIY root tabs and I already have the super sized gel capsules. Considering my set-up do I really need to use O Plus or regular O will do?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Well, depends on the plants you are growing. Take for instance heavy root feeders like Swords. They will benefit trmendously from substrate fertilization. But plants like rotalas, try uprooting some. You will notice the root system is very thin. They can feed from the substrate but mainly the roots anchor them down. They will find most of their nutrients from the water column. Since we don't know if you use co2 or how much light you are using, hard to say where the spurts come from. Could be due to a water change when you replace the tabs. Now that you have clarified ur initial question, i have no idea about the difference between O and O+.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Well, depends on the plants you are growing. Take for instance heavy root feeders like Swords. They will benefit trmendously from substrate fertilization. But plants like rotalas, try uprooting some. You will notice the root system is very thin. They can feed from the substrate but mainly the roots anchor them down. They will find most of their nutrients from the water column. Since we don't know if you use co2 or how much light you are using, hard to say where the spurts come from. Could be due to a water change when you replace the tabs. Now that you have clarified ur initial question, i have no idea about the difference between O and O+.
I did specify the plants on the OP and as for lighting 2xT5HOs and press. CO2 via TB reactor.

NP, I'm sure someone will clarify the diff between them.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
bud29
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)

As for actually buying O+, the cheap 4.5 pound jugs have been discontinued, so now you have to buy the $125 50 pound bags. I have quite a bit of O+ though, I could sell you a small flat rate box of it if you're interested.

^Click banner to view group!

The few. The proud. The shrimpkeepers
RAOK Club Member #82

"Adding aquarium salt to improve slime coat is like pouring lemon juice in your eye to make it water."
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Osmocote+ has micros as well as macros. Osmocote just primarily macros. Osmocote+ also has a 6-9 month time release vice 3-6 months I think.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Osmocote+ has micros as well as macros. Osmocote just primarily macros. Osmocote+ also has a 6-9 month time release vice 3-6 months I think.
The micro part I knew. But someone made a post once about the difference in the marcro part too. something to do with ammonium and ammonia content differences among others.

Thx!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #15
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Just a warning. Be careful how many of those tabs you add to your substrate. Too many and your battling super high nitrates for months. I suggest maybe adding no more than 1-2 tablets a sq. foot.

I went crazy and battled 100+ppm nitrates for months...
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote