Filtration Systems for Nano Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
AquaTony
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi all,

I'm still new to this forum, but I thought I would try and start a discussion about nano tank filtration.

First, in my experience there are 3 main types of filters: internal, hang-on-back (HOB), and canister.

I have used a small internal called the Duetto DJ50. It is either by Marineland or Aquarium Systems. The really nice thing about this filter is that it has an airline in before the impeller. I use this airline for a CO2 disfuser. It also has a pre-filter sponge, this is easy to clean and keeps the biological sponge much cleaner.

I have used HOB filters for 10 gallon tanks since they are so easy to maintain. My big complaint about this type is the extra surface aggitation.

Finally, I'd love to find a small canister for nano tanks, but I think I'd have to build my own. I think a canister is ideal, nano tanks are so small, any filter is distracting. A canister can be hidden out of sight.

So what are your thoughts and favorites?

Tony
AquaTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
tylernt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I prefer to just use plants.

But if I had to, I would definitely go with HOB -- because like you say, space is at a premium in a nano. Just get a HOB with adjustable flow, dial it down to minimum, and raise the water level in the tank so it doesn't have far to drop.

Hmmm. DIY canister would be cool. Please post diagrams and pics if you do it.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've been running the Eheim Ecco 2231 on my 10-gallon and I wouldn't have it any other way. Everything is external, other than the intake and the output, which are pretty easy to hide. Unlike HOBs, the canister produces no surface agitation.
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote