looking for some crazy freakin fish! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #31
caliguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: martinez, ca
Posts: 22
Default

neons are cool, but more feeders then fun to watch fish! not really what id call crazy :P
I really like endlers, but not so crazy either
never even seen the humphead glass fish, are those guys nutz?
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #32
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru
 
wicca27's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dewey
Posts: 4,811
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
Default

i stick by my answer of columbian tetra, although bleeding heart tetras are awesome when breeding they swim in a circle and will tilt in ward and quiver as they swim and there color will go almost black some times. they are another larger tetra
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #33
caliguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: martinez, ca
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i stick by my answer of columbian tetra, although bleeding heart tetras are awesome when breeding they swim in a circle and will tilt in ward and quiver as they swim and there color will go almost black some times. they are another larger tetra
i really like the columbian tetra, they look like piranna!
atm i am debating these guys, congo tetras, columbian tetra, Aphyosemion australe and the various smaller barbs (ie tigers) i would love African clawed frogs, but those are illegal in this state and not a great idea for a buisness ya know?

alot of other great fish were suggested, but i eliminated them from the current list for 1 too big, 2 brackish water 3 boring. But i really thank everyone who replied! Ive discovered a bunch of new fish id never heard of, and cant wait for more suggestions!!
also included is the tank i am using.
102 gallon bowfront paludarium, approx 45-55 galons of water. 370 gpm canister filter,1 teramega autoswitch heater, 1 custom built humidifier(fogger) and 1 reptiking automatic spray system, 1 epic waterfall, 2 directional flow pumps and 2 "current satalite" LED lights (48'' and 22'').


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-9.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	219433  

caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #34
caliguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: martinez, ca
Posts: 22
Default

this pic is a little tilted, but the tank is 1/2 water 1/2 land, the water looks a bit lower then it is.

Last edited by caliguy; 10-10-2013 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: typo
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #35
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philly
Posts: 131
Default

Yeah it's def a cool fish that is ok for community. Congos and Colombians also very cool but much more common. You'll be the only one with hump heads


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
__________________
Check out my 150 gallon planted discus tank!
http://barrywhitefish.imgur.com/
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #36
HSA1255
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 106
Default

Loaches are some of the nuttiest fish I have seen. They are spastic and I like how you can drop MTS in and watch them attack. I have had too many MTS before and the lfs feeds them to the loaches... it was so entertaining for my toddlers; so that would meet your requirements I suspect. They are best in groups of 6 and are said to be ornery, another mark in their favor. I have no clue if they work with your current inhabitants but they are considered not to be aggressive on most fish sales sites.
Several people feel otherwise. I'd be cautious of them being nocturnal... they are active in the day for sure but I've read their nocturnal nature may lead to night feedings on unsuspecting tank mates. Maybe they deserve a chance... they certainly are the some interesting fish. Perhaps certain kinds are less likely to be aggressive.

Last edited by HSA1255; 10-10-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: editing, repeated the same word @5Xs there, fixed it.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
caliguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: martinez, ca
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA1255 View Post
Loaches are some of the nuttiest fish I have seen. They are spastic and I like how you can drop MTS in and watch them attack. I have had too many MTS before and the lfs feeds them to the loaches... it was so entertaining for my toddlers; so that would meet your requirements I suspect. They are best in groups of 6 and are said to be ornery, another mark in their favor. I have no clue if they work with your current inhabitants but they are considered not to be aggressive on most fish sales sites.
Several people feel otherwise. I'd be cautious of them being nocturnal... they are active in the day for sure but I've read their nocturnal nature may lead to night feedings on unsuspecting tank mates. Maybe they deserve a chance... they certainly are the some interesting fish. Perhaps certain kinds are less likely to be aggressive.
I def dig loaches,
i have a few zebras and a chinese algea eater (loach familiy) and they are active, but outside of one situation where my zebras were all in one big fishball fight one time (DEF crazy to watch) they seem to hide alot and just chill around the tank scrounging food. The butterfly type loaches are pretty badass though! i just havnt found any info on the smaller type loaches being nutz ya know?
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
thedudeabides
Planted Member
 
thedudeabides's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
Aphyosemion australe Lyretail Killi ??

Is that the same thing your referring too?
They look crazy! and they do have some crazy peck fins!

But 50-60mm is what i see for max size online, thats not too big! I mean seems to be about the same size as tiger barbs ya?
Thanks for the insight on these, ill def look up more vids!
Yup thats the one. They don't get too big about 2 - 2.5 inches but they can hold their own with most community fishes as long as they can't eat them.
__________________
Well that's just like.........your opinion man.
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #39
caliguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: martinez, ca
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Yup thats the one. They don't get too big about 2 - 2.5 inches but they can hold their own with most community fishes as long as they can't eat them.
how many do you need for them to feel cozy?
Oh and to your knowledge are they aggressive towards other species? like equal or larger sized toads/frogs?
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hyper crazy insane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012