looking for some crazy freakin fish! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
caliguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaede View Post
Wrestling halfbeaks?
These guys look exciting! Can anyone else comment on their behavior? Are these guys exciting crazy dang fish??
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
starthief
Algae Grower

If you hadn't said "smaller fish" I'd suggest pictus. Every time I see them in the store they're like an unstoppable tornado of fishy activity.
starthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
These guys look exciting! Can anyone else comment on their behavior? Are these guys exciting crazy dang fish??
Not the ones I've been around - cool looking fish, but shy and peaceful (albeit very skittish and fast when so motivated).
JustJen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
thedudeabides
Planted Member

+1 on the congos. But as a killie guy i have to suggest A. australes their pectoral fins go a mile a minute and they are very fun to watch. Think there are some good youtube vids that show this.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
+1 on the congos. But as a killie guy i have to suggest A. australes their pectoral fins go a mile a minute and they are very fun to watch. Think there are some good youtube vids that show this.
Aphyosemion australe Lyretail Killi ??

Is that the same thing your referring too?
They look crazy! and they do have some crazy peck fins!

But 50-60mm is what i see for max size online, thats not too big! I mean seems to be about the same size as tiger barbs ya?
Thanks for the insight on these, ill def look up more vids!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #21
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
Not the ones I've been around - cool looking fish, but shy and peaceful (albeit very skittish and fast when so motivated).
ya, def super cool looking! aww well back to the drawing board! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

There are actually a couple cool videos of congos feeding on youtube. One of them are congos attacking its owners finger thinking it is food, although I think he made his finger look like food, IMO. Any fish that can outcompete a rainbow fish IMO is crazy.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Cypranid Kid
Algae Grower

If you are not going to have any plants in the aquarium itself I recommend Filament Barbs. Medium size ( 6 -8 inches or so) active, attractive, robust, schooling, tolerate cooler temps..but they will eat most plants.
Cypranid Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
mark546
Algae Grower

If you wanted a frog African clawed frogs are purely aquatic absolutely nuts, but they will eat anything smaller than them. If its not smaller than them they will still try.

As for fish Exodons are a favorite. EXTREMELY active. Only downside is it would NEED to be a species specific tank. Stock heavily helps downplay aggression. If you wanna see them go nuts feed them live once in a while or drop a shelled mussel or shrimp in there. They attack it as a group and tear small chunks off.

There are more than a few cichlids that fit your description. Each has a different behaviour. Research and find one that matches yours. My blood parrots are nuts and love wreaking havoc. I have one that likes to push my eclipse catfish out of their cave 2-3 times a day just for the hell of it.

Pictus catfish any variety that strikes your fancy are nuts. They are ALWAYs active.

Dojo loaches are very active and gorgeous. They are also a coldwater species.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Denison barbs AKA roseline sharks? They are very active and need to be in school.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #26
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypranid Kid View Post
If you are not going to have any plants in the aquarium itself I recommend Filament Barbs. Medium size ( 6 -8 inches or so) active, attractive, robust, schooling, tolerate cooler temps..but they will eat most plants.
Tank is heavily planted, mostly durable type plants IE. java fern, java moss anubias ect
6 to 8 inchs a bit too big, im thinking under approx. 3 inchs (8cm)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #27
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark546 View Post
If you wanted a frog African clawed frogs are purely aquatic absolutely nuts, but they will eat anything smaller than them. If its not smaller than them they will still try.

As for fish Exodons are a favorite. EXTREMELY active. Only downside is it would NEED to be a species specific tank. Stock heavily helps downplay aggression. If you wanna see them go nuts feed them live once in a while or drop a shelled mussel or shrimp in there. They attack it as a group and tear small chunks off.

There are more than a few cichlids that fit your description. Each has a different behaviour. Research and find one that matches yours. My blood parrots are nuts and love wreaking havoc. I have one that likes to push my eclipse catfish out of their cave 2-3 times a day just for the hell of it.

Pictus catfish any variety that strikes your fancy are nuts. They are ALWAYs active.

Dojo loaches are very active and gorgeous. They are also a coldwater species.
I love dojo loaches, but i have a feeling they would be more of a nuisance via my plants (my Gf has a few and they uproot all her plants looking for snails i think, but not sure) but also a bit bigger then what i want.
Ive def checked out all the cichlids, i like the electric blue rams among others, but my GF has a 220 gal cichlid tank and i dunno, kind of board of them ya know? Dont get me wrong, i think they are awesome, but im really looking to do something different.
It will probably be just a 1 species show, and those exodons sound great, look pretty cool too!
i guess you cant do any kind of cleanup crew with them?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #28
Jmyers2019
Algae Grower

im throwin this out there there not crazy fish but im in love with them neon tetras! a little school of them swimming around is BEUTIFUL! and there really cheap get them onsale 1$
Jmyers2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #29
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Might be the girly answer, but I enjoy the antics of the male endlers.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #30
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Ahhh I have a good group!!!

Humphead glass fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tags
hyper crazy insane