looking for some crazy freakin fish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
caliguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looking for some crazy freakin fish!

As stated above, looking for crazy fish. Im talking squirrels on rockstar, a group of three year olds after 3 gallons of coffee or women at the running of the brides kind of hyperactive insane aka flat out nuts!
Currently have tiger barbs and danios.
Specs= planted 92 gal freshwater paludarium but 45 total H20 gallons. prefer smaller fish. they will have only a cleaning crew for tank mates.
any ideas folks?
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

hmm, will water be heated? Will reptiles/trachemys elegans/Red Ear Sliders be present???

Cardinals, Rummy Nose Tetrasm, Rasboras (I like Harlequins myself) guppys,it really depends on temp of water and what else you have in the tank. A Water Basilisk (Jesus Christ Lizzard) and a turtle would be pretty cool along with some aquatic frogs, other than ADF's of ACF, as they are too common and lack color; newts would be cool.

Just brain storming
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Brian041
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
prefer smaller fish. they will have only a cleaning crew for tank mates.
any ideas folks?
Awww, I was gonna say a Senegal bichir, but they'd eat small fish in a heartbeat. Poor eyesight but bottomless pit stomach fish. Plus they get crazy huge and cool looking when full grown. Almost like a dragon.
Brian041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
caliguy
Algae Grower

I have no tank mates planned as of yet.
I have had rummys and guppies, not exactly my idea of hyperactive fish ya know?
Turtles, (while cool) dont strike me as hyped up crazy either.
I know my sliders are pretty lazy. Basically i am looking for the craziest freakin fish i can find and will adjust the tank to fit the fish.

In terms of a paludarium, i have two. So I have been looking at newts/salamanders, turtles, herps you name it. But it seems every newt/salamander has WAY lower temperature needs then almost any reptile and thus extraordinarily difficult at best to co-habitate them. Turtles and larger frogs/toads eat everything smaller then them and the only lizards that would utilize the water and land are basilisks and Chinese water dragons both of which get 3` long or so. The only smallish type herp would be a chinese crocodile skink but i have yet to find anyone who has them for sale.
Not to mention like every other toad, tree frog and salamander can drown in just a few inchs of water, so im kind of dragging my feet on stocking my larger paludarium. Which is why for now, i am planning on just stocking my new smaller plant heavy paludarium and why i am looking for crazy exciting fish!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
liljaime
Algae Grower

roseline sharks!! , Harlequin rasboras, african cichlids, bleeding heart tetras, congo tetras, serpae tetras, just about any rainbow fish ie. Boesemani Rainbow, Praecox Rainbow(dwarf rainbows)
liljaime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I second congo tetras. I had to return mine cause they were too crazy. Feeding time was similar to a piranha. They were out eating my boesmani, and Cories at the same time. I was also afraid how much more food I would go through. They are a beautiful fish but ar voracious eaters.
I would compare them more to a bunch of women storming a clearance sale on Black Friday at a fashion store.

Last edited by jeepguy; 10-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Merge
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Rainbows are super hyperactive
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

How many tiger barbs do you have? They are very hyper in a large shoal with their daily mock battles for supremacy are fun to watch. I would avoid turtles if you want to keep fish.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (16/100%)

Zebra danios, they are like ping pong balls or tiger barbs.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
Kaede
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wrestling halfbeaks?
Kaede is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

columbian tetra. they get bigger, have good color, you can even see teeth when they get larger. and feeding time is like feeding piranhas. i loved mine. i had a school of 15 in my 55 and they were cool. when they are in breeding mood the edges of the fins will get black stripe on them. mine breed a couple times for me. mine always like to photo bomb my angel pics. the blue is much better in person almost like a neon's blue

did i mention they like attention lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
I second congo tetras. I had to return mine cause they were too crazy. Feeding time was similar to a piranha. They were out eating my boesmani, and Cories at the same time. I was also afraid how much more food I would go through. They are a beautiful fish but ar voracious eaters.
I would compare them more to a bunch of women storming a clearance sale on Black Friday at a fashion store.
Hah, someone understands me! i love it!
They sure are pretty! I def need to find a source for those and check them out! Thank you very much Jeepguy!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
Zebra danios, they are like ping pong balls or tiger barbs.
i had similier ideas. I have danios and tiger barbs. Danios are always crazy, when its feeding time they like mob my fingers! But ya I love tiger barbs.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
How many tiger barbs do you have? They are very hyper in a large shoal with their daily mock battles for supremacy are fun to watch. I would avoid turtles if you want to keep fish.
In my 75 gal i have a school of 15. it was 16 but one just would not stop attacking everything in sight. He would literally torture my bristle nose pleco! i put him on timeout in a different tank like 4 or 5 times, nothing seemed to help
eventually the rest ganged up on him and tore him up so i gave to back to LFS.
Ya no turtles for me,(except my pond) though stinkpots turtles seem to ignore the larger fish in my pond.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
caliguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljaime View Post
roseline sharks!! , Harlequin rasboras, african cichlids, bleeding heart tetras, congo tetras, serpae tetras, just about any rainbow fish ie. Boesemani Rainbow, Praecox Rainbow(dwarf rainbows)
i was looking at electric blue jack dempseys, but they wernt very active (in relation to what im looking for)
And alot of the other cichlids get a big on the large side for what i am looking for. I have serpae tetras, pretty boring albeit pretty.
Def going to have to check out the congos though! Thanks for your help!

Tags
hyper crazy insane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.