Rasboras are here!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-22-2002, 09:28 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just went to my LFS today and got a dozen rasboras (but he gave me 13) for my 55 gallon planted tank. I am quarantining them in my 10 gallon for now. They cost $1.49 each and I used their 20% off holiday coupon, so it cost about $15 after everything.

Are rasboras like neons where they die a lot? I hope not, but tell me your experiences!

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Wow, that's an AWESOME price for Rasbora Heteromorpha! I just bought some at Wal-Mart for $1.66 and they are eating after only a few hours in my 15 gal quarantine tank. Harlequins aren't nearly as sensitive as neons, but most stores sell very young juvenile specimens that can be somewhat sensitive to change. The key to keeping these fish is the acclimation. As long as they are acclimated to the water well (15 minute float, add cup of tank water to bag every five minutes) they should adapt well. They can be slightly more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than most other fish, but with your planted tank well established, they'll be fine there. How long as your quarantine tank been set up?

They do grow fast, though, so feed them well in your 10 gallon and they might even grow out to full size (1 1/2" to 2") by the time they're ready for your display tank!

Hmm, this is getting weird, now. Both Tim and I just bought pressurized CO2 setups and we both just bought Rasboras.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My quarantine tank has been set up for months, and has a very very calm pair of german blue rams in it, they show no signs of territorial cichlids, it's weird! I figured if I put rams in it, that would make sure I kept the water in it clean, and it has worked. I also let any algae grow in it too, since it helps to keep water parameters in check.

That is good to know rasboras aren't as sensitive as neons! I had bought 11 neons one time expecting about 5 to live, and they all died within a month, still to mystery why the died! I have to give credit to the neon though, for it is the fish I saw at my friend's house, which convinced me to get a fish tank.

Hmmmm... this is wierd, hope your rasboras are getting along well!

-Tim
Old 12-23-2002, 07:06 PM   #4
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't understand why you guys have problems with neons. I've always had fantastic success raising them. I have a school of 18 neons in my 42 hex right now. I love watching them school around the tank. :hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:16 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Neons are just very sensitive to new tanks and any trace of ammonia or nitrite. I have kept them successfuly in the past, but even though they thrived in my water conditions, larger fish made a habit of eating them. I'd love to keep a tank with only smaller fish or discus, to keep the neons from getting eaten, but I'm not allowed to start any more tanks (says the wife!).

So far, the Rasboras are doing very well, Tim. I'm going to get about 6-8 more soon and add them to my main planted tank. I'm taking two of the four angels out to offset the bioload.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:22 AM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right now all I have in my 55 gallon are 6 angels, a bushynose pleco and an oto (lonely little guy!). The angels aren't fully grown yet, but I am hoping the rasboars will add some "flash" to the tank. I am also looking to place a plant order from florida driftwood once CO2 gets set up.

When I got my neons, I'm not surprised they died after I look back at that first tank, I should try them again sometime. I might actually try them for my 10 gallon that I is going to become planted. I just have to get a bright kit from AHSupply and make a hood. I nice school of neons with some guppies would make for a simple tank.

-Tim
Old 12-24-2002, 03:49 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have always liked the White Cloud Minnows for flash also.
I have lowered my tank to 74 degrees and the colors of all my tetra's and white clouds seem more brilliant...
and as for the White Cloud Minnows... the gold colored flash with red accents looks awesome schooling around the plants !
These fish are very, very hardy also... they usually end up dying a ripe old age in my tank.. :hehe::hehe:
I have always wanted to do a tank with just a large school (30 or more) of the w.c. minnows... that would truly be a sight !
Old 12-24-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have heard of tanks with HUGE schools of fish, like 100-200 neon-sized schooling fish! Think about feeding time, it would look awesome!

-Tim
Old 12-24-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

That would be cool. I'm trying to get a school of 30 Harlequin Rasbora's in my 135 Gallon, but I think that may be too many fish.

Right now I have a school of 12 Harlequins and school of 11 Green Eyed Rasbora's in there. Its neat, the two schools dont intermix, so I get a different school at different depths of the tank.

Its neat seeing htem move when the bala sharks get frisky.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:57 PM   #10
Skysong
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Skysong Send a message via Yahoo to Skysong

How many razboras would anyone reccommend for a 29 with 4 cories, 4 SAEs, 1 Cl. Loach, and 5 danios? I might be getting rid of the danios though, so, what does everyone think?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

GDominy, you're right about the rasbora's schooling - particularly when they feel threatened. Such as when your bala sharks become agitated.

Skysong, I think a school of 8-10 Harlequin Rasboras would fill out that tank nicely.