fish with funny spot gets laughed at by other fish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
Mori
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

My fishy has a weird condition. Have you seen anything like this?

The subject is a pink gourami. He's about 8" long and seems healthy. About 3 months ago, he and his cohabitants were thrown in a bucket so their tank could be moved, and shortly after being in their new location, a flat black spot was noticed on his forehead. The spot was about 1.5mm (yes, I like mixing metric and English units!). We figured he'd get over it. He probably got spiked in the face from being in a small tub with some other fish we thought. In fact, another fish had a similar-looking black spot on her body for a bit, but it went away.

But no. About a month ago the gourami's spot turned green and erupted. There is this little puff of green fuzz sticking out. He doesn't appear to care. No rubbing or flashing or odd behavior.

I can't convince my spouse to hold the fish while I pull it out with some tweezers, so I can't get a sample of it. The other fish are still unaffected. Actually, the fish with the thing on his head doesn't seem to be affected either, except cosmetically.

Any ideas what this could be? A parasite? Acne?
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Can you post a pic? Turned green and erupted... puff of green fuzz... sounds like fungus or bacterial infection rather than a parasite, could be brought on by the bucket treatment, maybe he scratched himself?
Do you have another small tank to do some treatment? Maybe something mild like Melafix or even salt, and see if it disappears?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Mori
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, I tried to get a picture but he refused to cooperate. I did get some nice shots of his rear. I don't have anywhere to isolate him so I melafixed the whole gang. They needed it anyway; a pleco scratched himself going over a tank divider. (I saw it happen and still don't know how he did it.)

I guess the green poof is most likely some sort of secondary infection from whatever the first thing was...and it certainly could have been from rough-housing in the bucket. His mate made ME bleed.

I will try to sneak up on him tonight and have another photo shoot when he's sleepy (or when the lighting is such that he can't see me coming). Bahh. It's not horrible. It just looks bad on a white fish. Maybe I could dye the fish.
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote