12G Mr Aqua w/Finnex Ray2 LED System?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
rupertoooo

PTrader: (0/0%)

12G Mr Aqua w/Finnex Ray2 LED System?

First time post but a long time hobbyist. I currently am running two Mr Aqua 7.5G tanks, one without Co2 the other a DIY system. I was running two each Fluval CFL's on each and recently purchased a Finnex FugeRay-R to check one out. Its to early in the game to see the results but let me get back on track.

I will be purchasing the 12G Mr Aqua and was wondering for the lighting experts out there if the Finnex Ray2 LED would be ideal for this tank. It will be a planted tank with a shoal of 15 Jelly Bean Tetras. I am not sure if I want to go with a high tech Co2 or a basic system.

What are some thoughts in regards to the Finnex Ray2.

Regards,

Craig
rupertoooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
kruzerman
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Check out the par data in the finnex forum. The Ray2 on a 12 long will be very high light. If you decide to go high tech it should be fine but the Ray might be better. It is a shallow tank.
kruzerman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

i would recommend a fugeray or fugeray plant_. the rayII will be extreme at the rim unless you intend to raise it above the tank.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Zer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm planning a 12g long as well and have been perplexed by the challenge of lighting this tank appropriately. Since I don't plan to do CO2, it is especially challenging.

I have found two LEDs that seem appropriate: FugeRay and MarineLand Double Bright LED. The Current Satelite Freshwater LED+ would probably work as well, but for the price it doesn't produce much light (iirc ~30 PAR at 12"). On such a shallow tank it would probably be fine, especially if you like the remote control and all of the features.

I am curious if a 24 or 30 inch fixture would adequately light the tank, as they are significantly less expensive than the 36 inch fixture. A 30 inch fixture would be missing 3 inches on each side, while the 24 would miss six inches. I could see the 30" ray being pretty acceptable, especially with reflection off of the glass. On the other hand, the marineland seems to place the LEDs about 6" apart anyway, so I wonder if the 24" wouldn't actually be adequate for medium light.

Another good option is 1-2 T5NO bulbs. In the end for a budget medium light setup, this is probably wiser than trying to stretch a too short LED fixture.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.