ADA Mini-S, the black rock [Lesson Learned] - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-31-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Badcopnofishtank Thanks! Yeah, a 20# canister under the sofa is a no go with the fiance lol. Don't blame her though. But, I have been eyeing a couple things on Rex's website. Well se though

melbourneThe hc lawn is my favorite part. As for the solar fixture, I love the complete look it gives the tank. But, it has one downfall. The bulb placement gives a 2" "dead" spot at the left of the tank where the crypt is. It has been a royal pain to get the HC to fill in there. The price is high, but I would recommend it if your going for a nice look.

FelixAvery I haven't seen lost, but I'm glad you like the "black rock" The HC is where I want it, the rotala needs to fill in.The rotala is kept over there for a reason that is really hard to capture with the camera. From where I sit on the couch and relax, the hc "field" gives a curious feel. I see a shrimp disappear around the bend and wonder what he's doing. Plus, I can just imagine the field/river bed sweeping around the rock/cliff. Hope that explains the look im going for a bit more, but like I said it's hard when your photo skills are just developing

natx No problem with the 3liter bag. I got the 9 liter and more than 6 liters got scaped into my 29g. I'll tell yah, if I had this thing set up at work, I would be one unproductive person! lol

sandiegoryu Thanks for the lead! I emailed some companys with no response. I will give the guys over at ADG a call and see what they can get me.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 04:13 AM   #17
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

Default Weekly Update

Well it's a week out from my first trim with the stems and I'm learning it really is an art. I trimmed the rotala in the shape that I wanted about 1"-2" up. I then replanted some of the tips that were the same height as the trim.

The tips have grown much faster than the trims and floped over, I'm planning on thimming them later. The trimmed stems have produced 2 stems from the cut part of the stem. Kinda like new growth from the soil, but at the tip. They are also smaller and bushier at this stage of the growth. Only the tips show the coloration. Hopefully as the growth matures, the color will come out.

I also got my Co2 solenoid today. Very happy about that, since the Co2 stabilty should be the key to my BBA battle, along with reducing the stress on fauna.

Here is an updated pic and a frontal view that sandiegoryu asked for. I'm learning a lot with the camera settings, so hopefully I can begin to produce some better pics over time. This is a really interesting hobby in that it requires art skills to make scape and art skills to show others what you are trying to accomplish. lol

P.s. you can really see where the light sits over the tank due to the swivel and light bulb plug. Way Right, which makes growth and photos challenging.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #18
RESGuy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to RESGuy Send a message via MSN to RESGuy
Cool

I think your tank and scape is amazing. Thank you for sharing it is beautiful. How much did the whole thing cost you?
20 Gallon Tall
Tank Paradise <- My site
I have both AIM and MSN so message me when you like, I love talking with people that share the hobby!
RESGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM   #19
Kathryn002
Algae Grower

Stunning nano. Beautiful tank. Really it is. Simple, but sweet. Great job!
Kathryn002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Love the look, mechanics and minimalism of your work. Thanks for sharing the heater/CO2 manifold. Great idea.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #21
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

RESGuy Thanks for the complament. I really don't know the cost, I got lucky and my family banded together and got the pieces as a christmas present.

Kathryn002 K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid), comming from my engineering background it had to be done.

Betowess Glad you liked the reactor/mainifold. With these nanos, its hard to get everything you need in there for a stabile environment without making it clutterd.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

Default Update 4.8.07

Well, everything has been growing pretty good and the bba seems to be halting due to the up'd/stabile Co2. I trimmed the HC today due to a thickness of about approx 1.5". I took it down an 3/4" because I worry about the bottom rotting. How thick have people had there HC lawn and are you trimming the top? :Mowing" it down with my scissors seems to be working fine in my case with the top growth returning in a couple of days.

Ill tell you, stem trimming really amazes me. It is a whole new learning process and right now I'm at "trim here and hope it grows in right". Plus, as I trim, the coloration of the rotala is going and I can't figure out how to get the pinks back. Suggestions?

The Co2 adaptor hasn't surfaced yet. I have to give the guys over at ADG a call to see if they can get me the ADA tower adaptor that sandiegoryu mentioned.

Happy Easter all and here's two updated pictures

Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #23
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

That first picture is awesome!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #24
bullhead
Algae Grower

Beautiful and I like the diy also.
bullhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Tanks alot YZmxer. I so want to do a lil mini like this now and I know I should NOT spend any more bread or time on tanks. LOL This such a cool gem!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
rnakas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Love the HC, and the tank looks good!
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #27
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

eklikewhoa Thanks buddy, it's one of my favorites too.

bullheadThanks, glad you liked the DIY. I found that misting improves as you increase the flow. Kinda interesting trade off.

Betowess I justified the expense/christmas present due to this is my baby now. The 29g has become a very low tech grow out. When you focus on one tank, it becomes a lot more enjoyable in my opinion.

rnakas Thanks, that trim kinda stunted it for a bit, but its bouncing back
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #28
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

Default Lesson Learned

Well, I was going to hold off on an update until I got into my tank maintance. I have been trying to get that crypt wendtii up out of the water in the hope it wouldn't melt partially emmeresed. No dice. So I trimmed it down, still wasn't happy with it. I took a while, but I finally accepted that the crypt was to big and it had to be ejected to the 29g. Was I surprised when this came out!

Look at that root system. That is after 4 months of growth. I have dug up a picture of the tank when I first planted it on Jan 15, 2007. Notice the cute little crypt in the back. Well... hoping it stays small and denial didn't keep that thing little.

Lesson Learned, there is not enough room in a mini-s for a crypt. Out with the crypt, back in with the Ludwigia.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #29
D.gilly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

lol now your going to have 20 small crypts. i can see from the pic that a few roots broke off chances are small crypts will start to grow from the roots i found that every time i moved my crypts aroung and a few roots ripped alot of new ones grew there. Good luck removing any traces i tried in my 75 g but the odd one still pops up everyonce and a while.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #30
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
I really like the black rock. I was looking for some pieces just like it but came up empty handed. Do you mind telling me what it is and where it came from?
Looks like Obsidian too me. There's a whole mountian of it just east of Mono Lake. I've collected a couple hundred ponds of it over the years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.