ADA Mini-S, the black rock [Lesson Learned]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA Mini-S, the black rock [Lesson Learned]

Well, after much hard work, plus a lot of trial and error, I've finally reached a point where I'm ready to show you guys my tank. So with allow me to present my tank, named after a great O.A.R. song, Black Rock.

Tank: ADA mini-s
Lighting: ADA mini solar
Filter: Eheim Ecco 2232
Substrate: Aquasoil w/ powersand
Ferts: ADA step 1, Brighty K, Fleet, and stumpremover
Flora: HC, dwarf hairgrass, crypto wendtti, rotala rotundifolia (indica?)
Fauna: 1 lone bee shrimp, couple cherries, pond snails and a juvi SAE on a BBA cleaning mission.

I'm really proud to say that this is how my tank looks with all the equipment in the tank. Only lilies, that's it. I just got done with the first trim and hope to bring you all along as it grows out. Hopefully what I have envisioned in my mind will surface.

I have the Co2 limewood diffuser and heater located under the table in what I call the G.C.O.O.T.T. (get crap out of the tank). Thanks to Snazzy for getting me started on his DIY inline heater: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ghlight=heater

Co2 misting is delivered by the output lily via a limewood diffuser located slightly in front of and under the output of the pvc T.

I am also very proud of my HC lawn. This started out as a dime size ROAK from JenthePlantGeek, so a big thank you goes to her. In my experience, hc loves excel. So the tank gets .3ml daily and 2.5 for a big boost at water changes.

There is some pesky BBA that appeared during my Co2 experimentation. Excel is keeping it a bay until my Co2 solenoid comes in next week. But other than that, no real algae issues exist.

So there you have it, a year after my first nano. When you look back on things, it becomes apparent how far you’ve come. Just wanted to post a pic of my first nano as a thank you to TPT and APC as a thank you for the advice and source of growth (no pun intended).

Last edited by Yzmxer99; 04-16-2007 at 12:48 AM..
Yzmxer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Thanks for the link...great looking HC lawn. How long did it take to grow? And how many watts is the Mini Solar?
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
dipan
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thumbs up

That's are really cool tank and DIY inline setup! I really like the black rock. I was looking for some pieces just like it but came up empty handed. Do you mind telling me what it is and where it came from?
dipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Black onyx rock from a landscape supplier in Southern California.

I just asked him the same thing. =P
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

That tank looks AWESOME! I don't think I've ever seen such an impressive, simple hardscape! That rock is perfect! I'm really liking the tank, a group of bee shrimp would look stunning in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Black onyx rock from a landscape supplier in Southern California.

I just asked him the same thing. =P
I was just about to ask the same thing

Keep up the good work!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
dufus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus

Wow, now i see why the redsea went down!
It looks awesome!
Some advise i have for you- Don't add more bee's.
the single one adds a kind of solitary, simplistic feeling to the tank.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

Thanks for all the great comments there guys. It means a lot.

epicfish - the lawn took about 2-3 months to grow. I didn't have much to start out, only the amount of my old .75g. I would grow a patch and replant. 2 weeks ago it really filled out and went boom. As for the light it's 27w 8000k. That light amount works great for the approx 2.5g I got here.

dipan - Thanks for the comp on the black onyx. Epicfish is right, I got it from a building supply store for about a buck. I just wanted to do something different with the hardscape, but keep it traditional at the same time. The black rock really makes the HC color pop.

epicfish - thanks for helpin with that one

Fish Newb - Thank's! I agree that bee's would be cool. Right now my cherries are breeding like mad and I'm trying to get a colony going in my 29g. So for now they stay, but later who knows. I think I'm leaning towards bees or natural cherries.

As for the hardscape, I remember reading a post by Steven Chong that you kinda have to go bigger with the hardscape or it gets lost with these iwagumi style layouts. I just wanted to see how big I could take it.lol

dufus - yup that's why she went down. Had to be sacraficed for the good of the cause.

Quick update. Don't put your check valve on backwards after taking your reactor apart to take pictures. Then don't crank up the co2 wondering why it wont bubble. Lol kinda had my bubble counter give me a shower.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
sNApple
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to sNApple

sweeet tank
sNApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 AM   #9
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice! Great tank! I love the lone crypt in there! I love how your HC grows way faster than mine lol. Guess I have to replant it more. Never have... I'll get to it next week.

And I'd love to see the tank from the front. And I also adore how the tank looks to be able to be photgraphed whenever. No need to take any equipment out.

BTW, how much did it all cost?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #10
Yzmxer99
Planted Member

Default ADA paintball mission

Snapple Thanks man, means a lot from yah

sandiegoryu Thanks, I wanted this tank to look great all the time as it is in my living room. I enjoy showing off what a planted tank looks like and spreading the hobby. As for the HC try giving yours an excel kick. I was dosing a HUGE amount in the beginning. I don't recommend it but it was 2.5ml at water changes and .75ml daily. Which equates to 3-4 x reco dosage. The crypt was actually a hitchhiker. I have really enjoyed rasing it from a bud.

I have started a new project and that is to get my ADA system 74/version 2 hooked up to a paintball system.

Now I know there are those who say why not get a 5lb tank with a normal regulator. But you have to remember, this is a nano, and a space is of the essence.

So the challenge begins

Here is what I have so far........

The ADA regulator and tank are manufactured by Leland
according to this chart:
http://www.lelandltd.com/Leland%20Ga...0Cylinders.pdf

The ADA tank is a Ref#8 with diameter of 1.5" length of 4.5"-5.5" and a volume of 74 (thus the 74 notation)

Also according to the chart the "special" thread is a 5/8"-18 UNF

I haven't confirmed this, but I'm fairly certain this is correct.

The key rest in converting this 5/8" -18 UNF female to a 1/4" NPT left handed thread. That will allow this piece to be screwed in.

http://www.octopustap.com/cart/produ...products_id=59

The hunt is on......
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 AM   #11
Badcopnofishtank
Got wood???

PTrader: (208/100%)

You have done very well with this tank. Good luck with the nano CO2 set-up. I run a 20 lb tank and a spliter for my three ten gallon tanks, but it sits in my home office not work

Keep us updated.

Hit Rex Grigg up for some manifold info, he is a wealth of knowledge.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
melbourne
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice tank - I like the HC lawn also. How do you like the Mini Solar fixture? I'm thinking about getting a setup like that for my office.
melbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
FelixAvery
Planted Tank Obsessed

NICE!
im thinking BLACKROCK = LOST!
really love it, but do you know what, maybe think of putting a little bit of elocharis a. towards the right hand edge of the rock just to blend it into the ground a bit more!
top job looks really lovely
Y.A.A - proud member!
Wabi-Kusa Guide
FelixAvery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
natx
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx

Was one of the 3-liter bags enough substrate for that setup? I'm considering doing basically the same thing for my desk at work.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #15
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hey Yzmxer99, I saw an ADA regulator for the ADA "Tower" CO2 system. I believe it is standard CGA 320 fitting. If you can just get that "Tower" fitting, then I bet you'll be all set. Just need to get an on/off valve and you'd be set. If someone has more information on the product then please add. I can only find information the ADA catalog.

And natx, I bet the 3 liter bag was enough substrate. It was enough for my 2 gallon cube AND a 2.5 gallon tank.