Fluval Spec V my frist planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
maux
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Spec V my frist planted tank

Outside of an Amazon sword I have in my 29 gallon at home this is my first planted tank.

It's now been set up on my desk at work for two weeks and I'm really enjoying having some fauna in the office.

I started the setup about two months ago and had kept it at my house for setup and cycling.

Cover and decor is mopani wood and mixed medium natural gravel.

It has two anubis nana, some wendentii, a little hairgras, and mondo grass. Aside from some transplant shock in the mondo grass everything went great. The dwarf hairgrass has a hard time rooting in the mopani wood. The hairgrass that I've tried to get to root into the gravel cannot get it's little roots around the largish pebbles and when I tried to sink it with a pebble and fishing line it gradually came apart. I'm working on rooting some in foam and I'll see how that goes.

Livestock is 22 yellow cherry shrimp and 4 horned nerite snails from Alpha Pro Breeders. They all acclimated great and have settled in well. I made a mistake in selecting this gravel. It's the darkest natural gravel I could find but the shrimp blend it a bit when they're crawling around on it, more than I would like. In retrospect I should probably have just gone with black gravel or ordered something natural but darker.

I prepared the tank for shrimp by getting shop-vac prefilter and cutting it to cover the slotted filter intake and the small auxiliary drain lower on the divider wall and hot gluing them in place. This seems to have worked out well, although when I'm trying to count them I can only ever find 20 or so of the shrimp when I'm quite certain there are 22 in there. I'm sure I'm just overlooking some. The foam is black and blends in with the divider.

I've got the heater stuck in the pump side of the filter area (is it technically a refugium?) and the light is facing out so I can see it through the frosted glass. It comes on once an hour or so and it keeps the want right around 77*F which is nice because it's not an adjustable heater. I've been adjusting the pump output nozzle once a week or so just so that the plants get varying flow and detritus doesn't always drift into the same areas. I like that the pump output is adjustable and have been taking advantage of it.

The tank was 25% off because it was returned by someone but the sticker said everything worked. They didn't have another one at the store, or that's what they said. I just e-mailed a lady at Fluval pictures of the receipt and they shipped another right out. Totally happy with that.

OK, time for pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0434small.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	213809  

Name:	CIMG0431small.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	213817  

Name:	CIMG0426small.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	213825  

Name:	CIMG0432small.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	213833  

Name:	CIMG0435small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	213841  

Last edited by maux; 09-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: more info
maux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
maux
Algae Grower

So I think I've decided on redoing this in Floramax midnight gravel.

Two things effect this. I saw it for >$7 / 12Lb bag up at the LFS (will look into this more but I double checked the tag) and also I want to use a darker, finer, substrate to let the shrimp be more visible and maybe darken up more while they mature.

In other news one of the little females had started carrying a tiny little clutch of eggs! She had less than 8 and ended up losing them two days later. She was literally too small to hold more and ended up dropping the few she had. I was a bit disappointed but it's a great sign, and I'll expect to see more holding eggs successfully as they get more room on their bellies after growing a bit.

The dwarf hairgrass probably isn't going to make it through the change over. I think I'll go with more of this smaller cover I have already. Corysponium wendenii or whatever, since that's held up great.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
maux
Algae Grower

Yep, I was right. The LPS had 12lb bags of Floramax at $6.77. So I got all three. I would have liked 5 or 6 but I'm pretty happy with this medium as it is.

Right now I've got enough to redo both of my tanks but I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to go about it. The SpecV is easy enough since I think I can replace the substrate without killing the biofilter. So that's basically getting all the shrimp and snails out and holding them while I make the new arrangement. The 29 gallon is more complex because I also intend to replace the filter too so I want to have time for the filter to get cycled before I replace the substrate.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
maux
Algae Grower

Default Shrimp proofing SpecV not 100%

So I had covered the filter inlets on the SpecV and as my shrimp have been having babies I've realized that they crawl through the material and find their way to the inside of the filter.
I initially tried getting a spoon and ladling them out but that was really slow going. I've got a turkey baster now and vacuuming them up is actually kind of fun. It doesn't seem to harm them and gives a sort of "alien abduction" feel to the feat.
I kept moving them out to just find more in there, feasting away on the detritus on the filter. I don't want them staying back there because they would invariably find their way into the pump and end up ground to pulp.
So I set up a fine threaded net and have it as a baby holding area for the time being.
The laying female this time around is still not done hatching hers and another just started carrying. I set it up this morning and have so far apprehended about 10 babies.
As I vacuum them out I also get the detritus from the filter and that is very fine and seems to be their preferred food so they'll have plenty to eat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140522_163941.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	323986  

Name:	IMG_20140522_163951.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	323994  

Tags
fluval, nerite, rcs, spec v, yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.