Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp

Is anyone keeping them? How much harder are they then OEBT?
greenteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (75/100%)

Lex inverts has them for sale. They are pretty much the same as OEBT as far as difficulty and care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Tanman19az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

AFAIK they are a wee bit more difficult than OEBT because they came from BTOE, not blue tigers and black tigers and allegedly more delicate/sensitive than OEBT. So I would gather Royals would be the same as blacks, not blues.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have royals, have found them to be much much more sensitive to water conditions than my oebt. I just moved across the country and the tank i set up hardness ended up higher than i would want. All my royals started to get the clear split carapise, oebt have been unfazed. I got the params back in check and all who have molted since are fine now. That being said I had berried mommas survive a plane ride across the country and give birth in the new tank. Have some 3 week old babies and some 2 week, all seem to be doing good.
Forumsnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So if what happens if I buy a few and place them into OEBT tank? Will they just breed into some mix and not stay true?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteam View Post
So if what happens if I buy a few and place them into OEBT tank? Will they just breed into some mix and not stay true?
You'd probably have some mix (possibly some OEBT, some Royals, some BTOE in there, not sure). I remember asking Speedie about it and he told me not to mix them with OEBT, either keep them with other Royals only or put them with BTOE. At the time I had just assumed they were from OEBT since they were blue. Oops! Since OEBT don't even breed true I'd keep them with black tigers only if you are wanting to keep mostly royals. If you don't care then slap them in with anything

I'm just going off of info that was given to me. Just checked Alpha Pro Breeders description and it said they were developed form crossing black tigers and OEBT. When I inquired to purchase from Nick last year he told me they were developed from BTOE and that he would recommend against putting them in with anything but other royals or BTOE.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can not give you a definitive answer just yet as the babies are far to small to know for sure. But i had 2 females get berried the first a possible oebt for a father as they were still in the tank(royals breed way earlier than expected). And then one with a royal as the father for sure.
Even at birth i believe i could tell the difference. The oebt cross came out looking like a darker oebt, where as the pure royals are very blue from right out the egg. I will post some pics after, and i could have sworn Nick had a pic of a cross.
They are still very small so alot could change still. Also it was both their first berries so i did not get a ton of babies out of them.
I would definitely advise keeping them seperate as the royals are down right amazing and pretty expensive compared to oebt. It would be crumby for the royal trait to slowly fade out.
Another question is how long have you had your oebt? Are you getting good baby survival? I would not try royals unless you are getting atleast 20 surviving oebt per brood to ensure your conditions are good enough for royals.
What are your parameters by the way? I have been having great success with ph7.4 kh 2-3 gh 6 tds 200-220 AND MOST IMPORTANT TEMP CONSTANT 68.5! Temp is crucial, make sure well ahead of time you can keep them under 70 at all times. I use our cemtral air in combination with 2 clip fans controlled by a reefkeeper lite. The rkl turns the fans on and off to keep temp at 68.5.
Parameters are very important but if you cant keep temps down they will not matter.

Sorry for the rambling but i absolutely love my royals and love sharing about them.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not the greatest quality, shrimp would cooperate lol.

First is royal/royal. Only a week or so old and already very very blue. Really stunning how blue they already are. No oebt baby ever starts that blue.

Royal/oebt. 2 weeks older and no where near as blue. Pic doesn't show it but it does have a blue tinge.
Little eye candy. The mother of the royal/royals.

She has the most amazing blue on her cheeks. Looks just like the blue on blue shadow mosuras. (As a side note I read in Breeders and Keepers, the blue shadow mosura was created by crossing a royal with a k14cbs. I will be trying this once I get my CBS/TB tank set up. That is if i can get any royals to live in the lower ph softer water.)

Last edited by Forumsnow; 09-25-2013 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: Added pics
Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man the temp I have mine at is 73, but spending 100+ to lower 2-3 degrees seem so much. Is there anyone else figured out a way to keep temp down? Does anyone have any other controls that can turn on and off a fan when temps change in tank??
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteam View Post
Man the temp I have mine at is 73, but spending 100+ to lower 2-3 degrees seem so much. Is there anyone else figured out a way to keep temp down? Does anyone have any other controls that can turn on and off a fan when temps change in tank??

LED lighting and clip fans are what I use and my tanks with OEBT stay between 68-74. Look at it this way, you're going to fuss about keeping the water temp down for $100 but you know you can only buy like 4 Royals plus shipping for $100 right? If temps are too high you risk bacterial infection and losing the shrimp, its just that simple. If you really want to try to keep such a sensitive shrimp you should get the tank as perfect as you can and then hope for the best. No need of throwing good money after bad.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jamie,

I do agree with trying to get the best setup thats why I'm here asking for advice. I just didn't know IF there are other controllers that do the same job as the reeflite and don't cost so much. The other problem is I just purchased new T5HO lights and eheim 2213 so it be silly of me to get another light. Plus lights I got on craigslist so can't return lol.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Oh I got ya! You are just looking for something cheaper than Forumsnow setup? I thought you just didn't want to spend money on fans/general type situation. Heck, my LED hood was the biggest way to get temps down, took it from 80 degrees to 72 in a day. I don't even run a fan on that tank. I don't know how much heat your bulbs will put off, raising them can help, keeping them off can help, a clip fan from walmart for $10 can help (and what I use on my other tank, keeps it at 68-70). There are a myriad of ways to drop temps a couple of degrees without buying fancy stuff and chillers.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

at my old place i was lucky to have central heat and air. i kept the temp about 70 year round in the house. all my tanks stayed about that temp or a bit lower. i also used air stones/sponge filters in my tanks for surface movement and didnt use tops on my tanks. yes there was a fair bit of evap but it kept the tanks cool
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have not seen forumsnow's setup I will try and find it to check it out
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
larns576
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)

A cheapy option would be to run a small fan across the top the tank. Amazon has the ARCTIC Breeze USB Fan for $8. If you find that the tank gets too cold, you can opt to use a timer to turn it on/off at certain times of the day or just have your heater heat the tank back to a set temperature. Just be sure to top off the tank with new water every so often.
larns576 is offline   Reply With Quote