regulators
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Doogy262
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

regulators

Well here is another regulator post but need some advice.Frst I have a 40g. heavily planted tank.I am new to co2 so when setting this up in April my budget was getting close to the limit so bought a cheap Milwaukee regulator.It works to some extent but is impossible to fine tune for exact bubble count.I can get 1 bubble an hour or 1000 a second but really have to work to get it in between.The worst part is it won't hold at a certain setting so have to turn down manually each night so that when it turns on in the morning my tank is not gassed.So losing some time while at work{three days a week}.So now I am in the process of slowly setting up a 90g.tank and need some advice.Is there a decent regulator that can be fine tuned and will hold the setting?,also is there any type of fix for the Milwaukee or should i just get another one??I have seen maby threads for the build your own but am not very good at such thins being 66 yrs.old and not the best eye site.Thanks
Doogy262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Which milwaukee regulator do you have?
The regulator controls pressure, the needle valve controls the flow. You could try and replace the neddle valve with a better one.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Doogy262
Algae Grower

It is a Milwaukee Co2 Ma957.Changing the needle valve sounds good but don't know where to begin.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On second though, is the pressure out of the regulator changing or just the bubble count? Without a steady pressure I'm not sure the needle valve can hold a steady setting. A better needle valve may give you better control of the setting though.

For needle valve replacement see the build thread for good needle vavles.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...245&highlight= by betatail
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...669&highlight= by bettatail
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...509&highlight= by oldpunk78
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312 by darkblade48

This might take a few weeks(years for myself) to digest. But check out these threads.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Doogy262
Algae Grower

The guages don't change just the bubble count as well as the size of the bubbles.The faster they come out the bigger they are,will check out the build thread and see what happens.thanks for your help.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Darkblade48

I would try to change your needle valve first; it is cheaper than trying to buy a new setup (though this is an option too, particularly if you want to upgrade your regulator).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I know that a few people have replaced the needle valve and their experience is much better. I am by no means a expert on this but the cheapest replacement that is considered to be of quality is a Fabco needle valve. GLA uses them on there regulators, not that I would buy a GLA regulator but many are happy. I would decide how much you want to spend but this is what I have, I am happy with it, but never had anything better than this either:
http://store.fabco-air.com/proddetai...-55-18&cat=112
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I agree with Darkblade that just replacing the needle valve could be all you need. That also would be a good incremental approach if you decide to change other parts of the system.

I have used a number of valves and decided for myself that Ideal needle valve is a good cost vs performance value. You can look for them on eBay, but I personally call the manufacturer directly.
www.idealvalve.com.

If you need model numbers or a walk-through assistance, either post or PM me directly.

v3