aquarium pump
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

aquarium pump

dumb question..

I been trying to figure out a way to pump water up to my tank on a rack without overkill the tank with massive water.

The tanks are nano and I need to control the water flow very slow and not something like 100gph rater... more like 1 cup per minute or such

I been putting a bucket full of water in the top shelf and letting the water fill the tank below slowing but I need something easier..

So the question is wat happen if I attach a stop valve to a aquarium pump while it's on and stop the flow of water while I switch to another tank to refill.?

any recommend for a small/nano inline water pump that I can control the flow slowly and be able to turn It off while switching to another tank?
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

you can buy a water pump for like $8 at harbor freight. I use it once in a while when I don't feel like using strength to pour the water.
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The only downside to stopping the flow is the pressure builds in the tubing used. One simple way to stop the flow is to keep a fold in the tubing and when you want to move, crimp it tight with your hand. No harm done to a mag drive type pump but if the tubing is not well attached at the pump, it may fly off and douse everything nearby!
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

You probably want a dosing pump for that application. I had a similar need and tried one of the Tom's Lift pumps. Don't bother with that, It won't work for you either. For a dosing pump depending on how much $$ you are willing to spend, or how handy you are with DIY, you can adjust the flow as required.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this for topping up your tank with new water or a sump?
If you just need an Auto Top Up just search google for DIY auto top up.
you will find what ya need. If its a sump or something search ebay for "mini water pump" you will find a small black 2.5w pump 100 Liters per hour with an adjustable flow for about $5/$10.00
boxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
You probably want a dosing pump for that application. I had a similar need and tried one of the Tom's Lift pumps. Don't bother with that, It won't work for you either. For a dosing pump depending on how much $$ you are willing to spend, or how handy you are with DIY, you can adjust the flow as required.
i just receive my mini dc 9v water pump and it couldn't even lift water pass 12 inch high...so now it's in the garage... gotat find smoething else that will work or so I would have to buy a small aquarium pump and try to work something out

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy View Post
Is this for topping up your tank with new water or a sump?
If you just need an Auto Top Up just search google for DIY auto top up.
you will find what ya need. If its a sump or something search ebay for "mini water pump" you will find a small black 2.5w pump 100 Liters per hour with an adjustable flow for about $5/$10.00
it's to refill maybe half a gallon back into a 2.5g tank...because that all I have on my rack
Eheim Pimp Club #506

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-26-2014 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
rezco
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Try a peristaltic pump. On Ebay you can find a small motor with pump+head assemblies (12V - 6V DC). For your purpose you could probably just run it with a battery and save on the expense of a power adapter. Anyway the flow rate is fairly small and if you place a valve on the end it will not damage the pump.
rezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #8
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezco View Post
Try a peristaltic pump. On Ebay you can find a small motor with pump+head assemblies (12V - 6V DC). For your purpose you could probably just run it with a battery and save on the expense of a power adapter. Anyway the flow rate is fairly small and if you place a valve on the end it will not damage the pump.
thanks to Bandit, I found what I am looking for...he mention it in his post..

I already post about receiving a pump like you mention..a 9v mini pump that run on a battery...it can't lift water much less than 10inch.. worthless....
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
rezco
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
thanks to Bandit, I found what I am looking for...he mention it in his post..

I already post about receiving a pump like you mention..a 9v mini pump that run on a battery...it can't lift water much less than 10inch.. worthless....
I understand but research what you are going to buy and look at the pump flow vs head chart - do not buy based on GPM alone. Most peristaltic pumps will lift to +6 ft or more with no change in flow. There are some centrifugal pumps that will lift very high and at higher flow rates- I am using one now to lift water 16 ft from basement to the living room (its a 24 V model DC brushless motor from China $20) at 3 GPM.

PM me if you want more details.
rezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

Airlift
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote