Boraras Briggittae or Cardinal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
loveflying
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Boraras Briggittae or Cardinal

Trying to decide if I should get more boraras briggittae or get some cardinal tetras. I already have boraras in a tank, bought ten and was given 11, but 4 jumped and so 7 left. That's the reason for conundrum. It seems at least in my limited experiece, had them for 2 weeks, that they are really jumpy little guys and I have a rimless aquarium... not the best combination. Right now the school looks pretty darn thin with just 7 left and I want to either fill it out with some more boraras, or get some cardinals, which from my experience and searches on the forum seem to support are less jumpy. Actualy never had one jump on me. The thing is that would leave me with a small school of boraras and cardinals. so...

What do you guys think is a good solution? Get cardinals? Boraras? By the way these guys would go into a 11.4 gallon mr aqua with a pair of blue rams. The rams leave the boraras i have completely alone.

Also, if I go with cardinal how many do you think I can get? I have eyeing msjinkzed cardinals for $2 a pop at 1".
loveflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (62/100%)

Go with the brigittae and get the cardinals their own tank. Both are my favorites!
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
daylily
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Maybe you need more Chilis for them to be comfortable? I have 16 or so in my 15 gal. that I got from her, with 7 CPD, and none of them are jumpy. There are a lot of plants, and water lettuce floating, so that might help make them more comfortable.

I had a 10 neons in it previous to that, and seemed like they wanted a bigger tank to zoom around in, so I rehomed them, and got the Chilis and CPD.

Before the neons I tried 6 cherry barbs, but they really zoomed around, a couple were very territorial. A friend took them for a 40 breeder where they are very happy.

The CPDs and Chilis seem perfectly happy in the 15. I also have Cherry shrimp.

Last edited by daylily; 09-25-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
loveflying
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
Maybe you need more Chilis for them to be comfortable? I have 16 or so in my 15 gal. that I got from her, with 7 CPD, and none of them are jumpy. There are a lot of plants, and water lettuce floating, so that might help make them more comfortable.

I had a 10 neons in it previous to that, and seemed like they wanted a bigger tank to zoom around in, so I rehomed them, and got the Chilis and CPD.

Before the neons I tried 6 cherry barbs, but they really zoomed around, a couple were very territorial. A friend took them for a 40 breeder where they are very happy.

The CPDs and Chilis seem perfectly happy in the 15. I also have Cherry shrimp.
thanks for the advice. I am ordering 10 more which should give me 17 total. Hopefully that helps make them feel more at home
loveflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I find cardinals to jump as much as anything else so I don't think it will be the solution you are looking for. Cardinals can also get quite big, rarely do you see them very large for sale but they can get over 2 inches with a long, healthy life. I would say get some more boraras briggittae myself. I have also found some fish are less likely to jump when they have fish around that have a pretty "I don't care what's going on around me behavior. Guppies for example, they just do there thing, don't really pay much attention to you, other fish, etc. Not always the solution but that can help with jumpers that get spoked easily and jump.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
daylily
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I should have noted that in addition to maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the surface covered by floating plants, I do have a glass canopy. But, the front and back 3" are open. I have had a couple Endlers jump out, and found a couple shrimp dried up on top of the canopy, but as far as I know, all the Chilis, CPD have stayed put.

My Chilis don't swim around that much. They stay in the top half of the tank, looking here and there in the water lettuce roots or other plants for bits of food, or maybe for baby shrimp. They loosely group together, but I would not say they swim in a school. Maybe if they were in a bigger tank they would.

Cool little fish! They go nicely with the CPDs too.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.