Sick discus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
ruckus78

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sick discus

ok I need help,I went to local breader and got four 2.5" discus....They have been sick from Day 1..the tank is my oldest one ..been set up for years...Im now down to two fish from the four...no other fish in tank
PH 6.5
no3 less than 10
no2 0
kh 0
gh 0
ammonia 0
temp 84 deg
well water
one fish is healthy eater
one i havent seen eat
ive tried a assortment of foods no luck
if this keeps up i will be down to 1 fish
there fins are up healthy fish color good the other is a little dark
tank has been treated with maracyn for the fungal infection that the fish had day one for a week
then had ick outbreak week two and treated with coppersafe then temp and salt ..where that came from I dont know havent had ick in a tank for years
Now week four lost 2nd fish yesterday his fins were up color good BUT never saw him eat....
yes tank was cycled ..yes water changes daily ....using stageing take for water temp set
Is this just a simple case of ph shock ...not shure what breaders ph was but he had said he always had a high ph from city water
or am I overlooking something
ruckus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Based on my experience, I would suspect the one that is not eating to have some sort of internal parasite, maybe flagellates. Have you tried feeding live blackworms? Nothing entices fish to eat more than live foods (other than Seachem Entice maybe haha). If the discus still won't eat, then I'd lean towards internal parasites.
Discus do take a little longer to acclimate to their new surroundings compared to other fish that I have kept. I have read before that they can go several days without eating while they are still adjusting to their new surroundings. But then again, a month is a little long.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

ruckus, something seems amiss here.
How do you know the fish were sick and had a fungal infection from day 1 ? - did the breeder tell you that ? If he did, why did you buy them ? I wouldn't expect that any honest, reliable breeder would sell anyone sick fish. And being a breeder, he should know whether his fish are sick or not. So I don't think the fish were sick when you got them.
And in my experience, it's quite unusual for discus to get ich - however it could be that your tank had live ich in it from previous fish that you had been keeping in the tank up until the time you got the discus.
You've treated with maracyn and coppersafe from the get-go, perhaps uneccessarily, and that could have created a health problem for the fish.
I suspect something else is at play here - you use well water, and perhaps water quality has been an issue here, that has caused your discus stress developing into ill health.

We know very little about your tank set-up, e.g. whether planted or not, how heavily, what were any previous inhabitants in the tank, pH of your well water vs. how the pH settles in within your tank on an ongoing basis, etc. There could be mineral issues in your well water which could have affected the discus.
Have you ensured your water's pH from the well is closely in line with what's in your tank on an ongoing basis - are your wc's also of similar temp to the water in your tank ?

If they are, continue with large, frequent wcs and maintain a good tank & filter cleansing routine, and see how things develop. And don't do any more medicating.
2.5" discus are quite young fish, with still undeveloped immune systems, and need superior care and attention in high quality water conditions to remain healthy.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
j03yYunG
Planted Member

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
ruckus, something seems amiss here.
How do you know the fish were sick and had a fungal infection from day 1 ? - did the breeder tell you that ? If he did, why did you buy them ? I wouldn't expect that any honest, reliable breeder would sell anyone sick fish. And being a breeder, he should know whether his fish are sick or not. So I don't think the fish were sick when you got them.
And in my experience, it's quite unusual for discus to get ich - however it could be that your tank had live ich in it from previous fish that you had been keeping in the tank up until the time you got the discus.
You've treated with maracyn and coppersafe from the get-go, perhaps uneccessarily, and that could have created a health problem for the fish.
I suspect something else is at play here - you use well water, and perhaps water quality has been an issue here, that has caused your discus stress developing into ill health.

We know very little about your tank set-up, e.g. whether planted or not, how heavily, what were any previous inhabitants in the tank, pH of your well water vs. how the pH settles in within your tank on an ongoing basis, etc. There could be mineral issues in your well water which could have affected the discus.
Have you ensured your water's pH from the well is closely in line with what's in your tank on an ongoing basis - are your wc's also of similar temp to the water in your tank ?

If they are, continue with large, frequent wcs and maintain a good tank & filter cleansing routine, and see how things develop. And don't do any more medicating.
2.5" discus are quite young fish, with still undeveloped immune systems, and need superior care and attention in high quality water conditions to remain healthy.
Well said. Smaller discus trend to get sick easier due to lower immune system. So any stress to the fish can lead to sickness.

First bump the temp to 86-89 F. This will help fight off ich and get them wanting to eat.

It takes awhile for the discus to start eating. Try blackworms, that 99% always works.
j03yYunG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
macquisition76
Algae Grower

I've read that finely diced garlic will.get their appetite up, and helps with other issues. I don't think it could hurt to try it.
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discus