Algae problem need filter recommendation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
magnetpest2k5

PTrader: (0/0%)

Algae problem need filter recommendation

I have a 3 gallon nano betta tank. My plants are growing reasonably well. I have taken all measures to promote plant growth and reduce algae, but I still can't overcome the algae problem.
1. I don't keep the light on for more than 6 hours
2. I add a couple of drops of tetra algae control fluid after every water change
3. I make 50% water change after every week.
4. The tank is not placed under direct sunlight

The only thing I suspect is the water flow/ current in my tank. I have a tetra mini 3i filter that is powered using a 77851 10 gallon pump. However, I don't think there is enough water flow in my tank since my co2 does not get dispersed. The co2 bubbles form some sort of cloudy layer above the water. So, my questions are as follows:

1. From my description do you think the water flow is the problem?
2. If yes, then can some one recommend a mini power head/ or any system that can promote a mild current? (without taking much space in my nano aquarium)

I am tired of trying out many things!. I have crypts, needle leaf ludwigia, and dwarf hair grass in my tank. My ludwigia gets constantly affected by green algae and it looks like that stops it's growth. It's the same with dwarf hair grass. For some reason the crypts are doing reasonably well even though they get affected by algae.

Thank You
Vineeth
magnetpest2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

What's the light?
houseofcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
magnetpest2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
What's the light?
It's a LED light system that came along with the tank. Sorry I don't know the wattage.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
ccar2000
Planted Member

I have had algae problems plenty of times. I am not certain what works because I try so many different things. I used Algae Fix but it did not work well for me. Does your water have a film on top of it or something? I wonder what the cloudy layer is? In my case I test the water parameters. Check to see that you pH and Alkalinity are in range. Do you add a water conditioner when you do your change? I do not have the answers but maybe some questions will help you to consider other things. Good luck, algae is a fight for everyone.
ccar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
magnetpest2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
I have had algae problems plenty of times. I am not certain what works because I try so many different things. I used Algae Fix but it did not work well for me. Does your water have a film on top of it or something? I wonder what the cloudy layer is? In my case I test the water parameters. Check to see that you pH and Alkalinity are in range. Do you add a water conditioner when you do your change? I do not have the answers but maybe some questions will help you to consider other things. Good luck, algae is a fight for everyone.
Yes, I do add water conditioner. Ya, may be I should measure the water parameters, I have not done it so far. However, when I turn the co2 off, the white layer disappears. I tried buying a nano hydro korailia water circulator 450gph from Amazon, but it turned out to be too powerful for my mini tank. I strongly suspect the water flow to be one of the prime reasons. Do you use any power heads to circulate the water?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
ccar2000
Planted Member

I do not use a powerhead but I have a turn over ratio of about 14x/hr. I also know that the bigger my plants get, the less algae I have since they are all competing for the nutrients available. I believe that warmer water temps also promote algae growth. In the summer I really do not have control of the temp since I do not use a chiller and it does get up into the mid 80's. I try to use the magnet class cleaners often as possible to knock down the algae on the aquarium walls.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
ccar2000
Planted Member

Sorry, its a glass cleaner, not a class cleaner.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Stone454
Planted Member

You should find a small internal or hang on back filter, lets says 45 gph or less, even better if its adjustable, otherwise you can baffle the outflow, it's hard in small tanks to find a decent filter that doe not take up much room
Stone454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
mark546
Algae Grower

A Toms rapids mini or zoomed 501 are inexpensive and you can use bulk media making it cheap to continue running long term. Another good option is the red sea nano.

I finally got my algae under control. I took anything and everything that could be removed out and bleach dipped it in a 20:1 mixture. Manually removed what I could. I started using Flourish Excel. Changed my lighting schedule to a split 4 hours on 4 hours off four hours on. I switched to pressurized Co2 instead of the excel.

Im down to algae growing on my terra cotta pots which looks neat and my plecos dont mind it.

http://www.bigalspets.com/rapids-min...lter-c-80.html
Link to the toms rapids mini.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

How do you fertilize?

How about plumbing the CO2 into the filter you have turning it into a CO2 reactor.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
magnetpest2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
How do you fertilize?

How about plumbing the CO2 into the filter you have turning it into a CO2 reactor.
For the plants, I just add the plant food by aquaeon after weekly water change. The co2 is a basic DIY system.

So how does this CO2 reactor work?. Sorry I have no idea about this. Also, for now I have removed all my fishes and treated my tank with excess dose of algae control liquid, and I have turned off the light. However, the co2 diffuser is still on, do I have to cut off the CO2?.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I would keep CO2 running. When I had DIY yeast CO2, I placed the tubing at the inlet of the filter so the bubbles get mixed with the water to better dissolve CO2. I looked up your filter and since it's driven by an air pump, you may be losing your CO2 before it can do anything for your plants. Take a look at this filter, I have one and feel its a bit too much flow, however you can place tubing from your CO2 into the filer and attach the sponge to the outside of the outlet nozzle in order to slow the flow and increase CO2 diffusion.

Also, what type of algae do you have. There are informative threads in the algae section of this forum which will help you identify the algae. You may be battling blue-green algae which is actually a bacteria. This can be treated with erythromycin, an anti-bacterial. Hair algae responds well to anti-algae treatments.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

don't forget: be careful with current for your betta!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
ccar2000
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
How do you fertilize?

I drilled into the top of my HOB Marineland Magnum and used a barbed bulkhead fitting. The filter media and pump impeller mix up the co2 pretty well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO2 injection 001.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	214777

Name:	CO2 injection 002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	214785

Name:	CO2 injection 004.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	214793
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Zer
Algae Grower

I'm guessing that you maybe be over dosing your fertilizers/plant food.

I'm not a fan at all of the 3i filter, so I would suggest getting rid of it entirely (after appropriately cycling a replacement). I have heard good things about the Azoo palm filter if you like a hang on back design. Internal designs like the TOM Mini Internal or Hagen Elite or a canister design such as the ones mentioned above should all work.

When I did DIY CO2, I was using an internal/underwater filter as a diffusor. I drilled an airline sized hole in the bottom of the filter (where the sponge sits) and cut the sponge so an airstone could be placed inside of it. The CO2 would be diffused by the airstone, then sponge, and the impeller. It seemed to be pretty effective though I never used a drop checker.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote