dirt questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

dirt questions

I'm going to switch my breeding tank over to dirt, and well I was curious if anybody has ever used the moisture control formula, instead of the organic potting mix.

I have a bag of the stuff already from a left over planting project, and I was thinking it might be able to hold nutrients longer or better, well any info will surely help.

I'm so tempted to just try it, but I would hate to kill off all my babies in the process.
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

They identify osmacote as the fertilizer source.Formulation of the fertilizer as listed on packaging is .12 percent ammoniacal nitrogen, .09 percent nitrate nitrogen, .07 percent available phosphate, .14 percent soluble potassium oxide and .10 percent water-soluble iron.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Scyry
Planted Member

You're going to get a huge ammonia spike. I fought getting everything under control for a month on both of my tanks. I have the organic miracle grow for mine.

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I always go here for my organic topsoil

http://cityfloralgreenhouse.com/

Great low price, and located at 1440 Kearney St. Denver, CO 80220. (303)399-1177
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyry View Post
You're going to get a huge ammonia spike. I fought getting everything under control for a month on both of my tanks. I have the organic miracle grow for mine.

So you're saying not to switch over to dirt?

The only reason I want to switch over to dirt is because people always go on and on and on about how great it is, and I want to find out for myself. Also because I only set the tank up with larger gravel at the time, but I want to set it up better now.

If this is going to take for ever to be able to put the fish back in im just going to fill it with Flora maxx like my other tanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I always go here for my organic topsoil

http://cityfloralgreenhouse.com/

Great low price, and located at 1440 Kearney St. Denver, CO 80220. (303)399-1177
Is there a reason why you go there or why you use that?

How is it different? being curious not douchie.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I would think the moisture control stuff would have that polymer they use in diapers in it. I am not sure you would want that in your tank. I user potting soils and dirt from my yard all the time. I don't really see there is much problem. I usually run a new planted tank for a month or two without fish anyway. I don't really see that as a long time.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I would think the moisture control stuff would have that polymer they use in diapers in it. I am not sure you would want that in your tank. I user potting soils and dirt from my yard all the time. I don't really see there is much problem. I usually run a new planted tank for a month or two without fish anyway. I don't really see that as a long time.
Ok yeah it did mention some clear balls for time release so I guess there goes that.

I wouldn't have a problem leaving it there for a month but I got all the babies to deal with, and I cant put them in any of my other tanks because they will get eaten.

So I guess Flora maxx is the answer then, well I love that stuff anyways.
I might just get some clay to supply some iron, and make another DIY CO2 for it and call it good.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Angry

So far what I'm getting from the responders is that dirt is not a fast
re-scaping kind of material.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo028 View Post
So far what I'm getting from the responders is that dirt is not a fast
re-scaping kind of material.
Yes it can get messy when rescaping with dirt. However, it can be done, slowly and carefully. With stems, I try to pull up gently until I can feel some resistance then start to wiggle it slowly while pulling up. The roots eventually come up and some dirt attached to it. It would be best to turn off your filters when doing this. With heavy root plants such as crypts and swords is somewhat similar but requires a bit more finesse, otherwise you will end up pulling up a large ball of mess. As always, follow up with a siphon and water change clear up the mess and top of your cap where you pulled the plants from.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Yes it can get messy when rescaping with dirt. However, it can be done, slowly and carefully. With stems, I try to pull up gently until I can feel some resistance then start to wiggle it slowly while pulling up. The roots eventually come up and some dirt attached to it. It would be best to turn off your filters when doing this. With heavy root plants such as crypts and swords is somewhat similar but requires a bit more finesse, otherwise you will end up pulling up a large ball of mess. As always, follow up with a siphon and water change clear up the mess and top of your cap where you pulled the plants from.
Sorry I meant Switching from X to Dirt and then putting everything back the way they were.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo028 View Post
Is there a reason why you go there or why you use that?

How is it different? being curious not douchie.

First time I decided to do a mineralized topsoil tank, I dropped by there because it's down the street from me, the price was more than fair, and when I sifted through the organic topsoil I barely got any debris and lots of topsoil. So I was just amazed how much dirt I got, and very little debris out of it. The brands name is Earth Essentials Topsoil.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
First time I decided to do a mineralized topsoil tank, I dropped by there because it's down the street from me, the price was more than fair, and when I sifted through the organic topsoil I barely got any debris and lots of topsoil. So I was just amazed how much dirt I got, and very little debris out of it. The brands name is Earth Essentials Topsoil.

Sweet thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
Kayvon

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just started my dirt tank, and I used the exact same bag o dirt! The initial aquascape on my dirt tank was pretty standard operation. The messy part comes with having to redo your dirt aquascape once its already been established.
Kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Planning helps, that way you don't have to move very often. In small tanks I just remove all the water. Placing the fish in a bucket with the old tank water. In larger tanks it seems best to turn off the pumps and filters, remove half the water or so and then pull up the rooted plants slowly and carefully. Letting things settle down before refilling the tank. I use sand and often add more when I am done. Poring the sand through a tube you can guide it fairly well.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote