Whats wrong with my WATER / TANK?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
noch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Whats wrong with my WATER / TANK?

I have a 20L with Eco-complete that's been up for about 2 months now. The only thing that I'm currently stocking in there are 5 shrimps. I have 3 pieces of cholla wood, 2 IAL, 1 moss ball, a tad of Wisteria and Java Moss. That is it.

Noticed the past two weeks there has been crazy algae starting up and now this week the little parasites on the glass. From my research they are harmless but def. annoying. Also my ECO has a light layer of clearish green/white fuzz. I usually have the light (Finnex Fugeray) on for 7 hrs a day but have changed it down to 3-4, but now my moss seems to be suffering. Not running any Co2 but started dosing with Excel Flourish, 2 cap fulls every 5 days. The bioload should be next to nothing with only 5 lil guys in there and I'm running a Eheim 2215. Thought lighting might be the issue here but would def. like some help as how to get rid of these issues. *most of the parasites seem to be on the side of the glass by the wisteria* Could this be NTS? Shrimp seem okay at the moment and still molting, but tank just looks nasty now.

Water Pram is as follows:

Amonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
KH - 71.6
GH - 89.5
PH - 7.0
TDS- 124
TEMP- 72.5F/22.5C

here are a few pictures:

noch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I get that on my glass where the sun hits the tank all day. Could be the light. I just brush it off.

I'm wondering if you have enough plants to out compete the algae. I know my 10g does not, so I get the spots.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
noch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
I'm wondering if you have enough plants to out compete the algae. I know my 10g does not, so I get the spots.
This is a shot of the full tank...

Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
CHOMPPPPP
Algae Grower

Planaria? I've noticed them on my glass as well, after I fed frozen bloodworms and forgot to remove uneaten food....stupid me. Fro the little research I've done I believe that they live in the substrate and climb on the glass when oxygen levels get low. They will kill your shrimp, but are harmless to other flora/fauna. Green leaf aquariums sells a chemical to kill them. No planaria. I've also read of other people using a dog dewormer. fenben...something. they haven't caused any problems in my aquarium so I haven't tried either. I've cut back on feeding the fish to once a week in an attempt to starve them. Not sure if that approach is working yet although I have only seen two since the first appearance a few weeks ago.

Last edited by CHOMPPPPP; 09-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
CHOMPPPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
noch
Algae Grower

I was thinking Planaria, but now the more I google it the less it seems cause these are much smaller. Anyhow, I don't really feed these guys anything since they scavenge the entire tank, but the other week I did leave one crab pellet over the weekend and came home and found nothing left. Could that have been enough to spark the outburst of parasites?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Fugeray on a 20L is quite a bit of light. I moved from a single bulb t5no on mine to a fugeray, and now I'm fighting thread algae. You may want to suspend or shade that light, at least until things settle down. I had those little white guys on my glass when the tank was new, as well. They disappeared on their own and haven't seen them in ages.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would just add that Flourish Excel really needs to be dosed daily if you're going to bother. Its half-life is about 12 hrs.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/
Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
noch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Fugeray on a 20L is quite a bit of light. I moved from a single bulb t5no on mine to a fugeray, and now I'm fighting thread algae. You may want to suspend or shade that light, at least until things settle down. I had those little white guys on my glass when the tank was new, as well. They disappeared on their own and haven't seen them in ages.
Thx, I'm thinking that also...will address that asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
I would just add that Flourish Excel really needs to be dosed daily if you're going to bother. Its half-life is about 12 hrs.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/
appreciate that, I did not know that. Adjusting my excel dosing

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-26-2013 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner