Just built me a new canopy!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #1
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey everyone
I havent been on this board in a while but Im coming back with a vengence hehe. Anyhow I thought Id share my hastily built canopy for my 20 gallon long. If you remember a while back I tried starting a planted tank with a 40 gallon breeder but eventually tore it down. Ive transplanted the 2x55watt ah supply power compact kit into this new canopy for the 20 gallon. Dont mind whats in the tank currently as Im planning a complete redesign!
Oh by the way the table that im using is el cheapo ikea table in birch. The canopy was made with poplar which is the cheapest wood that matches the birch.
Ptahkeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

another shot
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

and another
Old 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM   #4
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Welcome back... I really like the top, looks good. What ya got in the tank fish and plant wise :?:

Jason
Old 01-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Hey Welbiz
currently i have some random fish in there.
2 bolivian rams, 2 small convict cichlids(ill be taking these guys out), 1 SAE, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 clown pleco
plant-wise im planning on also changing almost all of these out but i have the following currently
dwarf lily, lutea?, ludwigia repens?, bacopa?, and some random swords
haha i know that i cant really remember the exact names of these plants i just bought them at the lfs to fill the tank for now until i can get the plants that i really want
Old 01-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #6
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptahkeem
Hey Welbiz
currently i have some random fish in there.
2 bolivian rams, 2 small convict cichlids(ill be taking these guys out), 1 SAE, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 clown pleco
plant-wise im planning on also changing almost all of these out but i have the following currently
dwarf lily, lutea?, ludwigia repens?, bacopa?, and some random swords
haha i know that i cant really remember the exact names of these plants i just bought them at the lfs to fill the tank for now until i can get the plants that i really want
I used to keep convicts all the time. They are a great little fish with lots of personality and a breeze to breed... I bet the rams will be keepers. Might want to keep an eye on that clown too... Heard a few people mention they like to dine at the salad bar(plants)... :shock:

Also like the lillys.. Nice color and leaf size...

Keep us posted on how it takes shape

Jason
Old 01-21-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful job on the hood, I like the way you matched its style to the table.

Nice piece of driftwood there, its got some good potential, a black background and you will be in business. With that light set up you should be able to grow some "nasty" red plants. Look for Gomer's threads, his 29 gallon tank will give you some inspiration. I'll just give you the link:

This Tank

Are you going to grow a carpet? I sure hope so with those lights.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Hi murphy
thanks for the kind complement. im actually gonna be redoing the netire plant layout going for some nice greens and maybe a couple red plants as highlights. yes i will be attempting a glosso carpet along with some lobelia, and some dwarf hairgrass. ive chosen some other plants as well for the upcoming redesign and those are didplis diandra, heteranthera, a dwarf lily which i will be trimming to keep small, and maybe some others i havent yet thought of.
haha if you have any of these avaliable as extra cuttings id be willing to pay you for them hehe. anyhow thats what i have planned so far.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Didplis diandra is really a cool water plant, I grow mine in a tank without a heater. In a warm tank the bottom half seems to rot away on people. In the photogallery look for my "Little Ten Gallon" post to see some nice red Dd.

Where are you located? I'm going to have extra plants soon.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2004, 01:04 AM   #10
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

hey murphy
im located in sunny san diego california. how soon do you think youll be getting some cuttings? i was gonna place a plant order soon but would much rather buy plants off of other hobbiests. anyhow let me know when you think your next cutting will be.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
jart
Wannabe Guru

that is a fine bit of woodworking, good attention to detail.

as for the table, may i make a suggestion. you could look around for some premade cabinet doors. if you could find some the right size, you could perhaps stain them and use them to fashion an enclosure to hide all your paraphernalia under the tank.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2004, 10:52 PM   #12
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

hi jart
thanks for the complements. actually i think im just gonna keep the table that way because if i ever make a true matching stand for the 20 gallon i can use the table for other uses but if i ever decide to get lazy then ill definitely take you up on your suggestion. good tip and thanks for the kind words.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.