kep's 9g Ember Tetra Nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
kep
crazy fish lady

PTrader: (7/100%)
Arrow

kep's 9g Ember Tetra Nano

I started this tank to have something in my office to stare at all day and mess with to avoid working. It's currently at my house until I get it stable and then will move it to my office. I also seem to be coming down with the early stages of MTS.

Started February 9, 2015

Equipment:
  • 2-23w 6500k CFL bulbs in a ZooMed dual bulb hanger thing
  • Pressurized CO2 using 20oz paintball tank and Aquamaxx Nano Regulator 2 bps 5lb cylinder with Concoa 312, Burkert 0200A Solenoid and Hoke 1300 series needle valves at 1-2 bps
  • Fluval diffuser that came with 88g kit (scrapped kit) Small glass diffuser
  • Do Aqua inline glass diffuser
  • Flourite Black Sand substrate
  • Eheim Ecco 2234
  • Eheim Jager 50w heater hydor 200w inline heater
  • Do Aqua glass inlet and outlet pipes
  • Small airstone running on opposite schedule as CO2

Flora:
  • Brazillian Pennywort, hydrocotyle leucocephela
  • Marimo moss balls
  • Java moss
  • Glossostigma
  • Monte Carlo, Micranthemum
  • Corkscrew val Vallisneria spiralis var. tortissima
  • Rotala Nanjenshan
  • Rotala wallachii
  • Water wisteria, hygrophila difformis

Fauna:
  • 3 2 False Corydoras, Aspidoras pauciradiatus (added 2/27/15)
  • 12 Ember Tetras, Hyphessobrycon amandae (3/28/15)
  • 2 Bumble Bee Gobies, Brachygobius doriae (3/28/15)
  • Small colony of Red Cherry Shimp, Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (3/28/15)
  • 1 Tomato/Tiger Nerite snail, Neritina natalensis (3/28/15)
  • 1 Horned nerite

EI daily dosing

Constructive criticism absolutely welcome. I'm flying by the seat of my pants!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8184.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	437985  

Name:	IMG_8215.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	437993  

Name:	IMG_8286.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	438001  

Name:	IMG_8300.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	438009  

Name:	IMG_8323.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	438017  

Name:	IMG_8344.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	438025  

Name:	IMG_8345.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	438033  

Last edited by kep; 05-22-2015 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Update flora, fauna, and equipment list
kep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
kep
crazy fish lady

Default Eheim Aquastyle Hi-Tech 9g Nano Planted *Pic Heavy

This tank hasn't had a lot of maintenance lately. It's looking a bit crazy and overgrown and is yellowed due to tannins. I'm thinking about a rescape to something more simple. This pic is from a couple weeks ago. I had to cut the lights in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Mitashade
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade

Great little setup. Planning on any more fauna in there? Would probably be a shrimp paradise.

I notice your glossostigma is growing up a bit. It looks like you should replant it much more deeply. That stuff LOVES to be buried. Basically cover it with substrate and brush off until you see the leaves. It will thank you by growing outward like an adorable little weed (no really, it's totally the best kind of weed). And when you replant, spread them out a lot. Like one or two stems every quarter inch or so. It's more work initially, but you'll get a great carpet very quickly. Basically any stem plants, you don't want to see roots.

AND I meant to go on! Oops. So I see quite a number of plants in here. The cool snowflake looking one is probably water sprite. The tall stem plants with green leaves and redish tops are rotala rotundifolia. I THINK I see some staurogyne s. repens in the back left of the tank, and if so, it's another carpeting/foreground plant, and doesn't grow very tall, so would do better in the open. The tall, cute little wonky round leafed one I also have in my tank, and I'm pretty sure is called lindernia rotundifolia. And I can't tell for sure, but the long grass like one is either a narrow leaf java fern or a val of some kind The narrow pine needle-y ones are likely ceratophyllum demursum (Hornwort). Those are the ones I spotted. Not 100% I'm right with all of them.

Last edited by Mitashade; 03-21-2015 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot some stuff.
Mitashade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
kep
crazy fish lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitashade View Post
Great little setup. Planning on any more fauna in there? Would probably be a shrimp paradise.

I notice your glossostigma is growing up a bit. It looks like you should replant it much more deeply. That stuff LOVES to be buried. Basically cover it with substrate and brush off until you see the leaves. It will thank you by growing outward like an adorable little weed (no really, it's totally the best kind of weed). And when you replant, spread them out a lot. Like one or two stems every quarter inch or so. It's more work initially, but you'll get a great carpet very quickly. Basically any stem plants, you don't want to see roots.

AND I meant to go on! Oops. So I see quite a number of plants in here. The cool snowflake looking one is probably water sprite. The tall stem plants with green leaves and redish tops are rotala rotundifolia. I THINK I see some staurogyne s. repens in the back left of the tank, and if so, it's another carpeting/foreground plant, and doesn't grow very tall, so would do better in the open. The tall, cute little wonky round leafed one I also have in my tank, and I'm pretty sure is called lindernia rotundifolia. And I can't tell for sure, but the long grass like one is either a narrow leaf java fern or a val of some kind The narrow pine needle-y ones are likely ceratophyllum demursum (Hornwort). Those are the ones I spotted. Not 100% I'm right with all of them.

The glosso is even taller now. I wasn't sure what to do with it - thanks for the tip! I do want it to be a carpet so burying it a little sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure if it would grow that way.

I do plan to add some more fauna. I hadn't considered shrimp, but I am seeing so many shrimps on the forum that is is making me consider it. They are just cute little colorful things that seem like they would add some entertainment. Almost like having an ant farm when you were a kid!

You can see in the pic the tank has turned into a jungle. I've not done much maintenance on the plants at all lately. My focus has been on my big tank that has had some problems, then I got horribly sick for a week and then went away for the weekend lol So it's all added up.

There's quite a bit of tannins yellowing the water. The moneywort (I believe the lily pad looking plant is called) is going crazy and there are several pads floating that I really like. Also the water sprite as I believe you correctly identified is also quite happy in there. The short plant in the back left is actually a corkscrew grasslike plant. When I first put them in the tank they all melted and I was left with a couple sprigs that are starting to come back.

I took out one of the lights because the Java moss was growing hair algae (you can see some in the pic). It's slowed with the decreased light but it hasn't stopped. I think I'll swap the 23w for two 13w bulbs. The glosso seems to have suffered slightly at the light change.

I am planning to take the tank apart tomorrow and rescape the whole thing. My plan for this tank was to have it in my office and I think the current setup will be more maintenance than I'll want to keep up with in the long run. So I bought some rocks tonight and I'm gonna try my hand at the tried and true iwagumi style and simplify it a little. It's just so busy right now and I'm thinking that a more simple landscape might do my eyes some good.

I may leave the lights alone in this case because the Java moss will likely be removed and that was my only issue with algae.

Simple is hard for me as I love to cram stuff in and make it all fit because I WANT IT ALL, so this will be a fun challenge for me.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Mitashade
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kep View Post
Simple is hard for me as I love to cram stuff in and make it all fit because I WANT IT ALL, so this will be a fun challenge for me.
You said it. I'm the same way.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
kep
crazy fish lady

Well I had to learn another lesson the hard way today. Took the tank apart to do the rescape and most of the fish are gone. I'm left with two dwarf cats. I tested the water and the nitrates were really high and there was a slight tinge of ammonia. The ammonia I'm guessing was from the dead fish and the nitrates, well that was all my fault. I have been adding a liquid stock of EI ferts for a few weeks and hadn't tested the water. The KNO3 level is way too much for my tank. I'm going to reevaluate the ferts and cut them back.

I did finish the rescape and buried the glosso as was suggested and broke it up. I'm really pleased with the outcome. I removed most of the plants except for about five types.

I had cut the lights back to one 23w and decided that since the Java moss is gone that I could add another. So now there is a 23w and a 13w.

Here's the new scape.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #7
Mitashade
Planted Member

Wow, looks great! Beautiful stones, and that glosso will look fantastic once it's filled in. Sorry about your fish, been there before.

All the plants in there are fast growing, but the plant volume is still relatively low, so you probably don't need to go overboard on ferts for a while. Unless of course you're cranking the CO2 (glosso DOES love that).

Bump: Bump: Oh and I think java moss would suit the stones over the marimba. You can also tear the marimba balls open and lay them how you want. If you can tuck them lightly into something, they should stay put. I made a carpet like that once.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
kep
crazy fish lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitashade View Post
Wow, looks great! Beautiful stones, and that glosso will look fantastic once it's filled in. Sorry about your fish, been there before.

All the plants in there are fast growing, but the plant volume is still relatively low, so you probably don't need to go overboard on ferts for a while. Unless of course you're cranking the CO2 (glosso DOES love that).

Bump: Bump: Oh and I think java moss would suit the stones over the marimba. You can also tear the marimba balls open and lay them how you want. If you can tuck them lightly into something, they should stay put. I made a carpet like that once.
I'll probably do a little research and add something else to the background to cover the substrate. I'm definitely holding off on some of the ferts for now. I have the CO2 pretty low at 1-1.5 bps for now. Turned it down a bit since the plant load was decreased and the drop checker was reading light green and probably isn't necessary that high.

I had a marimo ball in my big tank that was flattened out into a carpet. That would work great over the rocks, I agree!

The pennywort will take over the tank soon I'm sure lol I have it growing partially emersed for a little bit of a wild look.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
kep
crazy fish lady

Fun happenings today! New fish! And I'm diving into the shrimplet (much prefer "shrimplet" to "shrimp") world too. Today I picked up 6 fire ember tetras (they only get to about an inch long), 2 bumblebee gobys,12+ red cherry shrimp and a nerite snail.

I am going to have to keep an eye on the gobys as they prefer live food and will accept frozen but no dry stuff for them. Already had one casualty as I put everyone in the same bucket and realized as I put the gobys in that their mouths were bigger than some of the shrimplets... As soon as I came to the realization one got slurped up! I promptly separated them into their own acclimation tanks. Some of the shrimps are bigger than the tetras so I'm not worried about them.

I added some more plants and kinda lost the simplicity look... But I want to make sure the RCS have lots of hiding places.

I'll post pics of everyone once they're done with the drip acclimation. Almost done. Not quite sure how I'm going to get all the shrimp because I have to net them out of a 5g bucket. Should be interesting.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #10
kep
crazy fish lady

Well I believe there were more casualties. Sigh. Learning the hard way always. None of the minuscule shrimplets are left.

Put everybody in the tank and the tetras are absolutely terrified. The shrimp don't give a hoot and went straight to work with their weird little legs moving a million miles an hour. One of the gobies does not look well. Almost like his tail fin has been nipped off. Hopefully he's alright.

I used the drip acclimation method and ran it for about two hours and dumped out the excess water once.

I ran out of time trying to add plants and set the tank up. The fish had been in buckets for a while so I hurried. It's a bit of a mess but I did manage to make a shrimplet motel with a small glass bottle I had.

Not so happy goby in the back

Other goby

Glosso not so happy since the rescape. Swapped out the 13w bulb for another 23w so now there are two 23w. When I had them both running before the glosso was kickin butt, but the hair algae showed up on the Java moss.

Cut a fine mesh eheim filter piece to cover the intake on the filter to keep shrimps out.

I went a little crazy last night and bought a whole bunch of stuff for the tank in an effort to remove as much equipment from sight as possible. Right now it sits on a countertop bar at home, but the plan has always been to move it to work. I think I'm finally ready so I ordered a stand for it. Also ordered DoAqua lily pipe set, clear tubing to replace the eheim green stuff, a Hydor inline heater, and a DoAqua glass inline bubble counter. I swapped from a paintball tank to a regular cylinder and the regulator I have is designed to stand upright, but the bottle attachment comes out the side. So rather than trying to add plumbing to make a 90 I decided to go with an inline bubble counter.

I started a modified EI dosing today. Not dosing nitrates at all and half of the other ferts. Bumped up the CO2 a little this afternoon with the plant addition. Not sure what it's called but it's a high light plant that requires CO2.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 AM   #11
Mitashade
Planted Member

I too know the pains of trying to grow a high light glosso carpet with java moss. My algae nemesis is BBA, though, so at least you can in theory get rid of yours.

Nice hardware upgrades, I'm sure you'll love them. I do!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
kep
crazy fish lady

Made a couple changes. Got rid of the pennywort and added monte carlo on an attempt to grow a carpet. The RCS seem real happy and I can see them getting bigger. Lost both of the bumble bee gobies the LFS told me after the fact that it was a bad batch. Well I have store credit needless to say.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #13
kep
crazy fish lady

Default New Regulator

The regulator I bought initially for this tank was an AquaMaxx Nano and I just really wasn't happy with it. I'm pretty sure it was leaking because I flew through a 5lb cylinder in 6 weeks. No way!

So I hit up AlanLe on here after checking out his CO2 build thread and I'm sure glad I did. I wanted something awesome, and that had dual outputs because I'm going to run a 20L nearby. They will share the same space with me in my office at work. Still haven't gotten this tank moved yet, but that is the PLAN this weekend!

Check this bad boy out. It's a dual stage regulator Concoa 312 with a Burkert 0200A solenoid and Hoke 1300 series needle valves. It has dual outputs.

Followed by a shot of a teenager shrimplet on the MC, and a clean tank after a water change today. I added Purigen to the canister last week and the water is unbeliveable clear. Plus the shrimp are doing an excellent job of cleaning up debris it doesn't even seem to need a water change. But I'm dosing EI, so I want to stay on top of tank. All it took was sticking a hose in the water and removing 50%, refilling and adjusting some plants and done. No cleaning necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	462017  

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	462025  

Name:	IMG_2191.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	462033  

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	462041  

Old 04-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
kep
crazy fish lady

Default kep's 9g Aquastyle Hi-Tech Nano

Finally got the tank moved last night to its final home in my office, and I must say the view is great!!! The move was nerve wracking but luckily it's only a 4 mile drive from my house. Looks like everybody made it and the setup went smoother than expected. Now I am going to adjust the EI dosing to double up on a couple days since I won't be dosing on the weekends.

I hooked up the hydor online heater and set to 78 and removed the jager heater. I forgot to bring a thermometer and felt the water with my hands and it felt really warm!! I unplugged the heater and went home and got the thermometer a couple hours later. Temp was much cooler and at 80. I will play with it tomorrow, they will be fine overnight. This is why I wanted to set it up on Sunday so I could monitor throughout the week.

These pics are the view from my desk. The walls are painted a turquoise color and it looks amazing as a background. You can see my 20L next to it which I'm currently building.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
kep
crazy fish lady

So terribly sad this morning. I did a water change last night and came in this morning to what looks like most of my shrimp dead. All the big ones. There are some small ones still in the tank. I don't have my test kit here to test the water.

I suspect it was the Equilibrium I added while changing the water (RO water only). Maybe the shrimp are sensitive to something in it or it raised the GH too much. I haven't been adding much (maybe none at all since I got the shrimp) because the EI dosing has been keeping the GH high enough. I didn't even measure, just took two little pinches and dropped it in front of the outflow.

Didn't think losing shrimp would be so sad! I think most of it is just because it was my fault. I need to figure out where I failed. They were prospering so well! I'm going to run home on my lunch and grab my test kit. The second one I ordered for my office hasn't arrived yet.

UPDATE LATER:

The only thing I can think is that the water may have warmed up by 2-3 degrees overnight. I have struggling with the new hydor inline heater I installed when I moved this tank to my office. Two mornings before I felt the water and it felt warm, but the shrimp were ok. I turned the heater off. Usually I keep the temp at 78 degrees but I didn't have a thermometer in the tank (forgot it at home and didn't use it with the Jager heater I had before cus it was always right). I just knew it was warm. I did bring a therm from home to measure the next day and it was at 80. Right now it's at 81. Something else to note is my office is a much warmer environment than my house. I have an office server running in the closet nearby and my office is always warm, usually around 78-80 degrees. I forgot to keep the A/C on in here last night and the new heater was set to 77. I was worried about this heater being too much.

I tested all the water parameters but the last reading I have to compare to is from 4/15. I use the API kit for everything except ammonia, where I use Seachem's.

Today:
GH 5 KH 4 pH 6.4 Nitrates 20-30ppm Ammonia 0 Phosphates MAX on chart (this is the first phosphate test I've done)

4/15
GH 6 KH 5 pH 6.6 Nitrates 0

A few weeks ago I realized I was WAY high on Nitrates after EI dosing (10-20g schedule) and lost some fish, so I stopped dosing KNO3 for a few weeks and lowered everything else by half. This week I started up again at a lower rate. Here is the schedule (modified this week for being away on the weekends):

Mon 1/16 trace
Tue 1/32 K2SO4, 1/32 KH2PO4, 1/16 KNO3
Wed 1/32 trace
Thu 50% WC
Fri 1/16 K2SO4, 1/16 KH2PO4, 1/8 KNO3
Sat none
Sun none

Apparently I need to adjust again because the phosphates are HIGH. Top of the chart was 10. And I just changed out 50% of the water last night and added 1/16 tsp to it this morning. <cussing!>

Last edited by kep; 04-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Update a few hours later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.