Planted 44g Livebearer Pentagon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
lsunick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted 44g Livebearer Pentagon

After a few months of difficulty with my live-bearer tank, I am excited to finally be able to start again. To make a long story short, I lost all of my guppies, most of my platies, and all but one of my mollies to a disaster. I have finally recovered and I believe the tank is stabilized. Before I restock this tank, I am venturing into the world of live plants for the first time. All of my supplies, including plants are in and I will make the change tomorrow.

To start, I have a 44g pentagonal tank with a satellite plus pro LED light. I am using a marineland penguin 350B and an emperor 280 HOB filter. I will be using ecocomplete as a substrate and have a large piece of driftwood ready to go. I will put pics and a list of plants tomorrow after the remodel is complete.

Any advice or comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for joining me on my journey.

Last edited by lsunick; 05-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Title Change
lsunick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
lsunick
Algae Grower

Just finished the initial planting. I am very happy with the way it looks. No pictures yet as it is still very cloudy from the ecocomplete. On the plus side, I found 4 babies when I removed the old gravel substrate. I believe they are platies. I released them about an hour before I released the adult fish hoping they would find a place to hide. Will update with pics when everything clears up.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
lsunick
Algae Grower

So here are the pics that I promised. Strange thing is that the tank cleared up this morning, but it seems to have gotten cloudier throughout the day. I am hoping that this is a bacterial bloom that will go away on its own. I also couldn't wait and got a few neons for the tank. It looked so bare without the movement of fish. When should I begin the fertilizer dosing? Do I begin now or wait until the tank settles after the major change?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #4
lsunick
Algae Grower

Update

flora -

Banana Plant
Cryptocoryne
Ludwigia Peruensis
Rotala indica
Wisteria
Amazon Sword
Marimo moss ball
Myrio

fauna -

red wag platy x 3
neon tetra x 12
Creamsicle Lyretail Molly x1
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
lsunick
Algae Grower

Default New start no longer refreshing

I was in such a hurry to add fish to my tank, that I did not inspect the fish/tank at the local petsmart. Brought home 12 neons that were infected/exposed to ich. I went back to the store today and spoke to the manager who gave me a bottle of API Super Ick Cure to treat the tank with. The manager was very apologetic and assured me they would not sell any of the remaining fish in that tank. At least they did the right thing and did not make me pay for the medication, but now I am having to treat tank and pray for the best.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
lsunick
Algae Grower

It appears that the ich treatment is working at this point. Most of the white spots have disappeared from the neons so I will continue the treatment. I did lose 2 of the neons this morning, which is unfortunate. On the plus side all of my plants seem to be doing well. Treatment will continue and hope not to lose any more.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
lsunick
Algae Grower

Getting this tank restarted has been a roller-coaster of highs and lows. Last night I had a mass die off of all the neons except one. I guess they succumbed to the ich. They all looked healthy at 3 PM, but at 7 PM I started to see a few dead. By morning, there was only one survivor. My water quality has remained good, as ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates also 0 both before and after the mass casualty event. Really not sure what caused it.

On the plus side, while I was searching for the dead, I found not just one baby platy, but three. I wasn't sure if they had survived the rescape, but I am excited to see them. My kids will be excited as well.

Tomorrow morning, the ich medication will be complete and I can do a 50% water change and add carbon to filter to remove any remaining meds. I will also be able to gradually lower my temp back down.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
billythecounselor

Sorry you had a bad experience with the fish. I know it's hard to pace yourself when getting a tank sorted out. I'm in the middle of a blackout to get rid of blue green algae. I've become very familiar with my lack of patience over the last year with my tank. I've learned to keep my lights at 6 hours. I have the Sat planted+ LED (lower power than yours) and mine is too bright at full power resting on my 40B. You'll be in good shape with your light, but watch your duration. I'm starting mine up tomorrow and starting at about 75% power for 6 hours.
billythecounselor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
lsunick
Algae Grower

I know what you mean about the lighting duration. I had a minor algae problem prior to planting the tank. I am hoping that the plants out compete the algae for nutrients. I am doing 1/3 EI ferts and will adjust lighting/dosing from there. At this time I have no CO2, but am researching the possibility and cost now. Any info on any of these subjects is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
lsunick
Algae Grower

Well, about a week after the ich breakout and all seems well. I lost my last neon, but all other fish are doing well. I have added a few more mollies to keep the one I had some company and my 3 platy fry are finally large enough to swim freely in the tank. All my plants are doing well and all are having new leaves form. This includes my crypt, which has finally stopped melting after the initial planting. I am going to leave the stocking as is for about a month and make sure all is well before adding new fish, although all my water parameters continue to look good. I am currently looking into CO2 so that I can fully appreciate the plants and use my light to its full potential. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Islandgaliam
Planted Member

Nice job..I just love the wood in your tank! And, I know well the frustration this hobby can be sometimes.

I found a big difference in my tanks, (which I have struggled with for the last year..how many times can you re-do a 20g?? lol) when I started with pressurized c02.

Are you looking at doing a dyi c02 or pressurized? I am still quite a noob in this area.

I started with Excel, then the first regulator I had gave me fits so I saved up for a GLA, which was a bit pricey but so far so good, and it has a 6 year warranty, which is a plus for someone like me who is not good at fixing/replacing parts in items like this. I think it will pay for itself in the long run.
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
lsunick
Algae Grower

Thanks. I appreciate the compliments.

I plan on going with pressurized CO2, but my budget is kind of low right now. I am not really sure that I even want to mess with DIY CO2 at this point. I guess it all depends on how well my plants do in the meantime. My sister and father in law both work in the gas industry, so I am hoping they can get me a good regulator on the cheap and build my own setup. One can hope, right?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:56 AM   #13
lsunick
Algae Grower

It's been a few days since my last post, but all seems well with my tank. Plants and fish are doing well, though I do have a minor algae outbreak. I just introduced MTS and nerite snails and reduced my photoperiod by 3 hours so we will see what happens. I will update with new pics when algae clears. Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
lsunick
Algae Grower

Well, the algae has cleared up due to the addition of the snails. I have approx 20 olive nerites and 10-15 MTS along with some pond snails that are getting larger by the day. The pond snails must have snuck in on some plants I received. I know, probably overkill on the nerites, but we will give it some time to see how they play out in the overall scheme of things. As promised here are some pics. I also cleaned the hard water off the glass, I didn't even notice it until I took the first pics.

My platies and a couple of nerite eggs.

The mollies playing in the foliage.

A full frontal view.

The plants on the right are doing well, but not growing as fast as I would like. I am thinking I need to add co2, but haven't pulled the plug on that yet.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
MountainPool
Algae Grower

Those crypts neastled under the wood look great!

Look out for escapee Nerites, I thought my tank hood was secure u til I found one stinking up the cabling behind the cabinet. With 20 in there, someone is bound to get adventurous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.