Best place for plants in NPR/Tampa?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
chrissyinbloom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Best place for plants in NPR/Tampa?

Hey gang! What places have you had luck in finding good plants? I'm not looking for anything exotic, just some Java Moss, crypts, and the like. I live in New Port Richey. Our LFS is iffy. I've been to Marine Warehouse in Tampa, but I really don't want to drive that far! Any other ideas where to go around here?

Thanks
Chrissy
chrissyinbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
chrissyinbloom
Algae Grower

I see no one has any clue... Has anyone ever been to Foster's Exotic Pets on US 19? I haven't been, but plan on checking it out soon.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

Hey there!

Fellow NPR member here

Here's my breakdown:
  1. Fosters: AVOID LIKE THE BLACK PLAGUE!!!!!!!! They will literally try to sell you HAIR ALGAE and call it java moss. I've been back three times to see if it was just one person or more, it's all of them. I still can't believe they are selling ALGAE as a plant. Their tanks usually look horrible and filled with algae. The staff has little to no knowledge and it's a frustrating trip everytime to see the conditions they keep their animals in. I have no idea how they can keep their animals in the conditions they do, literally heartbreaking and enraging
  2. Bob's Feathered Friends: I've never had a problem with any of the physical fish I've purchased here over the years and they have a decent rewards program. Plants are very hit or miss and they sell a lot of emersed plants as submersed plants. Sometimes plants are pretty healthy sometimes not. Best day to get plants is Tuesday when they get shipment. Be sure to snail treat or find an army of little ones after a few weeks.
  3. Petco (US 19 across from the mall in Embassy Plaza): The people here are helpful however knowledge is abysmal. Almost every one of my plants I've gotten from here melt. Though if you get in there and there's something you can salvage such as Java Fern they will work some good deals for you. However they sell a lot of species as submerged while they are emersed grown so expect a lot of melting. Many of the prepackaged plants are dead or close to dying. Some snails but it's rare.
  4. Walmart: LOL don't even try it
  5. Marine Warehouse: Yup it's a drive but it's your best bet. Most people are knowledgable however WATCH for algae on the plants. While they do go through a lot of plants there are several that come with that and POND SNAILS....seriously POND SNAILS! They also sell shrimp from time to time but are VERY overpriced on them. Last time I was there they had Lower grade Crystal Reds for $7
Hope I helped
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
chrissyinbloom
Algae Grower

*Waves* Hi neighbor!

Thanks for the response! Bob's is where I go all the time. And, like you said, the plants are hit or miss. Thanks for the tip about Tuesdays! I didn't know that. I think that they're prices are too high on equipment.. heaters, filters, etc. I try to buy those things on Amazon, unless I absolutely need it that day. I've bought a few fish from there... one pleco died within two days, but other than that, its been ok.

I ended up going to Marine Wharehouse yesterday after a trip to Oldsmar Flea Market. I had no idea that they were so close! I got a couple beautiful plants and I'm all set for awhile.