60Gal Cube Journal. Its been a long journey so far. Dial-Up WARNING!! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #31
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, all water was in the tank. Krtismo helped me, it helps that he's about 6'4" and has rather long arms. I'm 6' and was barely able to reach bottom in the front. For the rear I had to stand on the couches arm .

Water is clearing nicely and I have added 3 Endlers just to "test the waters" if you will.
RedIrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #32
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

looks really nice. I would let all those plants fill in before really trying to scape. Do you have those Java ferns stuck under the sand? If not you want to get their rhizome out before it gets nasty ...

The depth should be fun! I would stick some big amazon swords in the back and make a little dividing "Wall" of DW in the middle, then either leave the front open or put a carpet in it...

Just some more ideas for you

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #33
dufus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus

sweet! i agree with fish newb's suggestions.....but i would PUT lot of wood in.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #34
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
looks really nice. I would let all those plants fill in before really trying to scape. Do you have those Java ferns stuck under the sand? If not you want to get their rhizome out before it gets nasty ...

The depth should be fun! I would stick some big amazon swords in the back and make a little dividing "Wall" of DW in the middle, then either leave the front open or put a carpet in it...

Just some more ideas for you

-Andrew
Most of the Java Fern roots are just stuck to driftwood but there are a few buried very shallow, basically just enough to cover the rhizome. I am hoping that they will root a little bit so I can pull them out of the sand.

I have 2 bigger Red Flame Swords coming from ihooklow hopefully by about Wednesday or so. I hope to be able to plant them near the back, I agree with you, will go well with the Apontogeton (I probably spelled that wrong) back there.

Also, I simply could not get enough driftwood from the store I went to, I literally took 1/2 of their stock but nothing was long enough to reach the waterline ad stick out, I have to remember that I have over 21" from the substrate to the waterline in this tank. I am thinking that I will likely need to order some Old BlackWood online but I have only found 1 place and they have the same stock photo for all 4 sizes. Maybe I should call them. Anyone have any ideas where I can find ~30" pieces of driftwood?

4 White Clouds
5 Neon Tetras
6 Corydoras
2 Dwarf Puffers
5 Glowlight Tetras
1 Banjo Cat
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #35
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

I could be wrong, but i thought you were not supposed to bury the Rhizome on Java fern. Thus the reason why most people tie it to something. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Tank looks sweet by the way.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #36
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
I could be wrong, but i thought you were not supposed to bury the Rhizome on Java fern. Thus the reason why most people tie it to something. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Tank looks sweet by the way.

No, you're totally right about that actually. I just don't have enough driftwood to attach it all to unfortunately. I need some reallllllly long pieces because of the deapth of the tank being 25.5" without substrate in it and about 21" with it. I just stuck them in the sand for lack of a better place to put it for now.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #37
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

OK...i here ya. you could have just free floated them to. i have done that on occasion and just let them "walk" about the tank with the current. its kind of cool actually. i would just monitor them and if you see any signs of decay, get them out of the substrate.

Rocks work good to btw for mounting.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 AM   #38
MStars30
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)

more pictures, I'm interested =). Even though I live 15 minutes from ya, pictures plz, and a bump to the top
MStars30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #39
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

I know what you're saying. If you would want ADA type wood why not call ADG and talk to Jeff or Mike? I've heard they're really good with customers, I've yet to give them the call though (sooner or later)

What I was suggesting was a "WALL" so to speak maybe 5-8 inches tall that just separates the swords and stuff from the front. Then tie moss, ferns, and other stuff to it to create a VERY EASY low maintenance mid ground. IF you wanted to put some extra branchy stuff in it sticking out you could.

So good luck with the tank!

-Andrew

PS, I just realized I have some LONG straight DW in my box of hard scape goodies. They're pretty plain and straight but if you would be interested let me know. You would need to prepare them before adding them to the tank since they where collected at the beach shore, But I've never had a problem with collected stuff, yet

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #40
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Old 03-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #41
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

It's groooowwwwiinggg looking good. Cool Anubias

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #42
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh wow its only been about 2 weeks since I posted but the growth in the tank is enough to warrant another photo session. On the right side, the Swords and Apontegeton(probably still spelled it wrong) have grown considerably. The Apon... one especially. It went from the brink of death with 1/2 of 1 leaf alive and now its got 4-6 of them that are nearing 20+ in length. I swear that they grow a full 1.5" a day. Anyway, I will try to remember to get pics up tonight after I hit the LFS.

EDIT: I've also added more fish.

Current fish and shrimp count for the tank is:
4- Neon Tetras
4- WhiteCloud Minnows
5- Glowlight Tetras
2- Dwarf/Malabar Puffers
6- Corydoras Catfish
1- Banjo Catfish
~14- Endler's Livebearers
4- Cherry Shrimp
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #43
ianmoede
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looks good dude. I would only make one suggestion as far as layout/composition goes. Foreground, and left side look good, but the open space on the upper right and middle side make the tank look a little bare, and not good in the iwagumi way. Maybe your plants have increased in height a little, but a bunch of stems or cyprus helferi (sp?) would look very attractive and fill things out a bit.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #44
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Yes they have filled in a bit, I wish I would have uploaded the pics last night but the re-run of Deadliest Catch was coming on so I dropped what I was doing and forgot about it. I'll get them up tonight though for sure when I get home. The middle now has an "L" shaped piece of driftwood going acrossed it with the point of the L upward. And the right side has 20" Apontegeton leaves .

I'll have to look into that plant you mentioned.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #45
RedIrocZ-28
Planted Tank Obsessed

Small problem, looks like I have some sort of algae that grows on the edges of leaves and looks like Black Hair. I'm assuming its Black hair algae as I have seen that referenced before. I attribute it to not having enough heavy root feeders in the tank. Lots and LOTS of Anubias and Java ferns, but just 2 clumps of Althernathera (thats gotta be spelled wrong lol) and some WaterSprite. Other than that there are 2 Swords and a bunch of acclimating Crypts that are seemingly doing well with minimal melting. I again forgot to get the pics up last night. I was dozing off on the couch pretty early. I'll get some tonight though for sure. I'm heading to the LFS to get another fish for the 55gal Brackish tank which I should probably do a photo album of also.