Growing Utricularia Graminifolia (UG) From Clippings using DSM
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 868
Default

Growing Utricularia Graminifolia (UG) From Clippings using DSM


I'm starting this thread so that I can track/document the growth of using simple clippings/trimmings of utricularia graminifolia (commonly referred to as UG). I'm curious to see how well it works, and how long it takes. I'd love to hear from anybody else who has tried doing this.

I've know it's possible to grow the clippings emmersed, but I didn't find really good info on it, other than people saying it works. The clipped leaves can grow roots from either end of the blade, so I should just be able to spread it over the substrate and let it grow, so that's exactly what I'm trying.

My setup:

Container: Pyrex Glass Dish, 9" x 11"
Light: 27W Power Compact, 4.5" from the substrate (I measured 150 PAR at substrate)
Photoperiod: Currently set to 12 hours per day
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (new)
Lid: Saran Wrap with several holes poked in it

Here is where I started one week ago. This is a weekly trimming of UG from my tank. I simply mowed it down and did not uproot my existing carpet. For this experiment I spread it evenly over the aquasoil. I also poked it a bit to break up clumps and to make sure it was in good contact with the substrate.



I took this picture today, after precisely 1 week. I looks like it's definitely doing well. One thing that's more apparent in person vs. the picture is the tips of the leaves are all turned up toward the light. No signs of mold or algae (whew). I open it up once per day, mist heavily with tap water, make sure it breathes, and close it back up. Nothing special.



As you can see, it's already starting to grow roots, so it's looking good:



I hope this keeps going well. I'll update as it progresses.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
gus6464
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 801
Default

Such nice looking UG. My emersed UG project was a complete and utter failure.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
glndrifts
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san jose CA
Posts: 90
Send a message via AIM to glndrifts Send a message via Yahoo to glndrifts
Default

This is good to know. O-O I'll be trying this later.
__________________
glndrifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Such nice looking UG. My emersed UG project was a complete and utter failure.
Do you mind sharing what happened? I'm looking to learn.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Zapins
Wannabe Guru
 
Zapins's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT & Philadelphia
Posts: 1,076
Default

When I grew UG emersed I started it on flora-base under 55 watts of PC lighting from AHSupply and it took roughly a month and a half to get going. It seemed to grow a lot faster submersed. I've heard it has trouble growing on rich substrates, but I am beginning to wonder how true that claim is since flora-base is relatively nutrient poor, and by comparison aquasoil is pretty rich. I wonder if my slow growth was a result of this or if the plant truly grows as slowly as that while emersed?
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Jalopy
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 280
Default

Cool project.
Jalopy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
amphirion's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
When I grew UG emersed I started it on flora-base under 55 watts of PC lighting from AHSupply and it took roughly a month and a half to get going. It seemed to grow a lot faster submersed. I've heard it has trouble growing on rich substrates, but I am beginning to wonder how true that claim is since flora-base is relatively nutrient poor, and by comparison aquasoil is pretty rich. I wonder if my slow growth was a result of this or if the plant truly grows as slowly as that while emersed?
i used to think this as well with regards to it growing poorly on rich substrates... apparently, Tom Barr has refuted this claim.

another interesting tidbit about utricularia in general. none of the plants within the genus have true roots. just lots of stem, bladders, and the "leaves" that they produce, which are not leaves at all, but rather photosynthetic structures which are called--i forgot. :P any who, the true leaves are actually the bladders themselves.
__________________
2.5 pico || 8 gallon tank - Come see how my mind works! ||
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (31/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,624
Default

I have mine growing emersed in an old soup container with a substrate mix of sphagnum peat and sand. It seems to do fine with periodic flooding as well.
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
gus6464
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Do you mind sharing what happened? I'm looking to learn.
I had it in a tank with a bottom layer of sphagnum peat moss with osmocote, then a layer of mgocpm, and then a final layer of fluval plant stratum. I had it covered so high humidity and it never took. I also had some anubias Nana petites in the same tank and they grew like wildfire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
Jalopy
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 280
Default

Hey, let me know if you're looking to sell some of your UG when you're done growing them out. Thanks.
Jalopy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Greenz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: FT Lauderdale
Posts: 16
Default

I've had it growing emersed in my tank for about 3 weeks now and its doing pretty well. Very intrigued by this plant. I havent noticed any bladders yet but during maintenance, when I'd pick up an individual leaf off the substrate with my tweezers - I did notice the new "roots" it was growing So I just starting sticking burrying them in to help spread faster
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I'm starting this thread so that I can track/document the growth of using simple clippings/trimmings of utricularia graminifolia (commonly referred to as UG). I'm curious to see how well it works, and how long it takes. I'd love to hear from anybody else who has tried doing this.

I've know it's possible to grow the clippings emmersed, but I didn't find really good info on it, other than people saying it works. The clipped leaves can grow roots from either end of the blade, so I should just be able to spread it over the substrate and let it grow, so that's exactly what I'm trying.

My setup:

Container: Pyrex Glass Dish, 9" x 11"
Light: 27W Power Compact, 4.5" from the substrate (I measured 150 PAR at substrate)
Photoperiod: Currently set to 12 hours per day
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (new)
Lid: Saran Wrap with several holes poked in it

Here is where I started one week ago. This is a weekly trimming of UG from my tank. I simply mowed it down and did not uproot my existing carpet. For this experiment I spread it evenly over the aquasoil. I also poked it a bit to break up clumps and to make sure it was in good contact with the substrate.

I took this picture today, after precisely 1 week. I looks like it's definitely doing well. One thing that's more apparent in person vs. the picture is the tips of the leaves are all turned up toward the light. No signs of mold or algae (whew). I open it up once per day, mist heavily with tap water, make sure it breathes, and close it back up. Nothing special.

As you can see, it's already starting to grow roots, so it's looking good:

I hope this keeps going well. I'll update as it progresses.
I was just going to message you about your emersed UG project and I came across this thread.

I have mine doing exactly what you're doing, except I'm not allowed to use a pyrex dish :P and I didnt poke holes in the cover, maybe I should do that.

My first attempt failed because I used some top soil and 90% of the UG melted on me.

Some people said that UG likes a lower pH so, I broke down and I bought aquasoil and with my 5 blades (with roots) left from my first attempt it is filling in nicely.

I saw the most growth when I was out of town for a week and I didnt get to mist it, when I came back the humidity was about 50% and it really grew fast.

Based upon your growth. I'm going to poke holes in my cover and add more light, trim and propagate them.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
I have mine doing exactly what you're doing, except I'm not allowed to use a pyrex dish :P and I didnt poke holes in the cover, maybe I should do that.

My first attempt failed because I used some top soil and 90% of the UG melted on me.

Some people said that UG likes a lower pH so, I broke down and I bought aquasoil and with my 5 blades (with roots) left from my first attempt it is filling in nicely.

I saw the most growth when I was out of town for a week and I didnt get to mist it, when I came back the humidity was about 50% and it really grew fast.

Based upon your growth. I'm going to poke holes in my cover and add more light, trim and propagate them.
Thanks for sharing good info! Interesting about you going out of town, because I leave tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday. I was a little worried, but I'm less so now, and I'm sure it'll be fine. If I remember, I'll post a pic this evening when I get home. It's continuing to fill in at a decent rate and is looking quite good at this point.

I poked the holes because mold scares me, and air exchange helps prevent it. After watching it slowly kill lots of plants in my tank a few months ago, and kill all of the HC in my DSM a few months before that, I really don't ever want to see it again if I can avoid it.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
gus6464
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 801
Default

Right now I got Tropica 049 and HC growing emersed in a tank with just random Fluval stratum I had left over and O+ tabs and it's growing pretty nicely. I don't cover the tank at all and just throw water in there when it gets low. The 049 melted almost completely as it came from a flooded a tank but a week later it started to sprout new growth everywhere. The leaves also look cooler in their emersed form IMO.

Got a Trithuria Sp coming in today that will go in the same tank and see how it does.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Right now I got Tropica 049 and HC growing emersed in a tank with just random Fluval stratum I had left over and O+ tabs and it's growing pretty nicely. I don't cover the tank at all and just throw water in there when it gets low. The 049 melted almost completely as it came from a flooded a tank but a week later it started to sprout new growth everywhere. The leaves also look cooler in their emersed form IMO.

Got a Trithuria Sp coming in today that will go in the same tank and see how it does.
I'm confused... this thread is about growing out UG clippings?
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012