HELP!! I think slider is dying...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

HELP!! I think slider is dying...

Okay so I have a 55g with 3 baby sliders, 1 cumberland and 2 yellow belly. Everything has been fine with no problems until today. I was cleaning the tank and doing a water change and as usual I pulled all three out and put them in their holding tank. All three were swimming around just fine before the holding tank. Well after everything was cleaned and refilled (about 45min) I put back in their home to have one of the yellow bellies just kinda sink. I left him alone for a few minutes while I continued to clean up the room. A few minutes later I see him still "sunk" at the bottom with his head down and almost tilted to one side. I pulled him up and put him on a piece a wood and noticed that his head seemed to be hanging like he couldn't hold it up. I help him for a minute and he would pull his head up but it seemed like it took all his energy to do so. I put him on a piece of wood and left him there for a bit under the lights. A few minutes later he had slid off the wood and was back in the same position at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure what to do with him. I've got him back in his holding tank with just enough water to keep him wet but with his head laying on the bottom his nose is above water.
BTW tank has sand to help with impacting their stomach.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

If you think he's sick take him to the vet. Reptiles hide their illnesses very well and sometimes you don't notice till it's almost to late. The best thing is to find a vet who's certified with reptiles and knows what they are doing. Till then keep they baby warm and comfortable.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 on taking him to a herp vet. How large are these turtles? What was the temperature of the water? Most young turtles need a water temp in the low 80's and a basking area in the 90 degree range.

In the mean time keep him in shallow water

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'm not sure if there is a herp vet in the area, however the turtle has passed. I'm pretty sure that he died a few minutes after my OP.

Just for comfort, the yellow bellies are 1.5" shell, the cumberland is 3-3.5". The water is 83 with a low 90 basking zone. Tank is thoroughly filtered with proper lighting.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
C2C
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

take the sand out. Impacting is bad. also it will help keep your tank cleaner without it. If you really want a substrate use big river rocks or something similar
Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
C2C is offline   Reply With Quote