Help with ID and Removal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Fiala06
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help with ID and Removal

So I've had some kinda of algae I'm assuming grow on my plants. Up untill recently its only been on 2 of my plants. Its not starting to grow on about 60% of them all. Below are some screenshots. Ohh and the algae has been all scrapped off the glass already. Not sure whats causing it to bloom. Sorry for the bad photos

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fiala06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Tzac
Planted Tank Obsessed

Eugene FTW =P Anyways that looks like GSA. I have a GSA problem in my 75 that I am starting to dose EI in the hopes that it will help clear it up. I have read that low Phosphate levels can contribute to it.
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
PortalMasteryRy
Algae Grower

+1 to GSA. Higher phosphates will help fight it off. From the first picture it looks like you might have some staghorn too and possibly a little diatom issue from the 2nd pic.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzac View Post
Eugene FTW =P Anyways that looks like GSA. I have a GSA problem in my 75 that I am starting to dose EI in the hopes that it will help clear it up. I have read that low Phosphate levels can contribute to it.
Hello neighbor Sorry I'm still kinda a noob when it comes to planted tanks. Whats EI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
+1 to GSA. Higher phosphates will help fight it off. From the first picture it looks like you might have some staghorn too and possibly a little diatom issue from the 2nd pic.
Thanks yeah think your right. So whats the best solution to remove this stuff?
I've cut back my light and thinking of doing more water changes.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiala06 View Post
Hello neighbor Sorry I'm still kinda a noob when it comes to planted tanks. Whats EI?
EI is estimative index. It's a method for dosing ferts.

Cutting back on lighting has helped me with my GSA.
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
EI is estimative index. It's a method for dosing ferts.

Cutting back on lighting has helped me with my GSA.
Ok thanks! I'll look into it more. Yesterday I put in some Flourish Tabs as I was researching why 1 of my plants had what almost looked like burn holes which appears to be from malnutrition. So maybe with the tabs in there it will help.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
PortalMasteryRy
Algae Grower

The GSA takes some time to go away and you can start pushing it back with some BN plecos. Ottocinclus catfish will take care of the diatoms and staghorn should die as soon as you get your plants moving assuming you only get isolated strands of staghorn. Keep in mind the the fish is used as a clean up crew when the algae is dying and is not actual to solution. The goal is to get the plants growing so the algae do not take over that is why the EI (fertilization) method was suggested. This method does require some basic understanding on how it works so you don't end up actually feeding the algae some more.

If you have a test kit then we might get a picture of what is out of balance if you can get some water parameters. We probably need Nitrate and phosphate readings.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Fiala06
Algae Grower

OK, thanks didn't realized that about the fish. I was looking at getting some new ones. (just got a gift card to my lfs for my bday) Maybe I'll pick up 1 or 2 bn pleco and 3 or 4 oto catfish.

I'll run my test kit when I get home from work and post the results.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I always got GSA on my lower leaves of S Repens. Tom has said BN plecos work well. But for me, im fine with a bit on the lower leaves.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Fiala06
Algae Grower

So here are my stats.

Ph 7.8
No2 - 0ppm
No3 - 0ppm

I did pick up 2 Siamese algae eaters and they are doing some work!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
PortalMasteryRy
Algae Grower

SAE ftw. I just added 1 to my tank and almost all of the isolated thread algae is gone.

You have 0 nitrates which is bad. I would suggest to start doing fertilization and start with a moderate amount. I would get the EI dosing (using dry ferts) for nitrates for the size of your tank and use only have the dose following the suggested schedule. I would then follow the micro, phosphate and potassium dosing.

The reason I suggested half the nitrates is that it is very easy to go overboard with the nitrate and you could end up with too much nitrate that could kill the fish or shrimp in your tanks. The plants will take some time to get good growth to consume and keep the nitrates in check.

I would also suggest to keep track of the nitrates and phosphates levels for the next 2 weeks to make sure none of the nutrients go way beyond the recommend levels. Nitrates 10-30 ppm and Phosphates 1-4 ppm. I would suggest higher phosphate levels as it might help fight the GSA. I know this sound anti-EI but the last thing you want is feeding the algae with excess nitrate levels.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
SAE ftw. I just added 1 to my tank and almost all of the isolated thread algae is gone.

You have 0 nitrates which is bad. I would suggest to start doing fertilization and start with a moderate amount. I would get the EI dosing (using dry ferts) for nitrates for the size of your tank and use only have the dose following the suggested schedule. I would then follow the micro, phosphate and potassium dosing.

The reason I suggested half the nitrates is that it is very easy to go overboard with the nitrate and you could end up with too much nitrate that could kill the fish or shrimp in your tanks. The plants will take some time to get good growth to consume and keep the nitrates in check.

I would also suggest to keep track of the nitrates and phosphates levels for the next 2 weeks to make sure none of the nutrients go way beyond the recommend levels. Nitrates 10-30 ppm and Phosphates 1-4 ppm. I would suggest higher phosphate levels as it might help fight the GSA. I know this sound anti-EI but the last thing you want is feeding the algae with excess nitrate levels.
The SAE are really fun to watch!

For some reason I thought 0 nitrates was a good thing. 2 days ago I added 8 flourish tabs to the substrate, and I have been adding flourish excel about every 3 days and each water change I do every friday/saturday, depending on how I feel

Ohh and my 1st co2 will be arriving tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
PortalMasteryRy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiala06 View Post
The SAE are really fun to watch!

For some reason I thought 0 nitrates was a good thing. 2 days ago I added 8 flourish tabs to the substrate, and I have been adding flourish excel about every 3 days and each water change I do every friday/saturday, depending on how I feel

Ohh and my 1st co2 will be arriving tomorrow!
Nitrates are needed by plants. Phosphates too. The only time we try to avoid nitrates or higher level of it is when we have a fish only tank since no other inhabitant of the tank will remove it from the water column which becomes toxic for fish but at very high levels.

CO2 will get the plants moving if you have the right light. Again the key is start slowly with the nitrates and just don't get the phosphates to insane levels. Once you get the feel of how things are growing then you can start heading to the right EI dosage. Also it takes a long time for the GSA to fade away from the leaves. I know the BN pleco will clean it off once it starts to die which is usually when it starts to turn greyish green or holes in the middle appear (if you see them on the glass).
Old 09-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Ok thanks for that info. Makes sense now. I have 2 T5 6700k bulbs plus a T8 something I can add onto it.

I plan on letting the co2 run very slowly the first week or 2.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
Fiala06
Algae Grower

So seems like the co2 has helped the algae? and new stringy one on my tall plants...