James From Cali's Tanks Thread *Updates 5/14/07* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #16
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
Lighting!lighting!lighting!
Co2 won't do much good until you hit the right lighting levels!
it's like a car(import mind you), if you install a turbo kit, it's a lot of money, but a lot of horsepower, where as is you get the cylinders bored, its a lot of moey and not as much HP. the co2 will boost planbt growth, but not as much as lighting.
Okay gotcha. Now to see if that lighting fixture wouldd work for aquariums.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Unhappy Bad News

Nothing can possibly go wrong now. I had found my tank with yeast in it after coming back from lunch. I had done a 60% water change and had Lost 1 Neon Tetra and the other platy. Now I have:

1 Betta
3 Neon Tetra

My numbers are going down. IDK why this has to happen to me. I am almost tired of all of this, almost about ready to make this plants only! But here is what Im thinking, 1 more death and Im going to start completley over with fish. Going to get rid of the rest of the fish and make sure the tank is cycled and add fish very slowly(1 at a time or 3 depending on if schoolers). But thats only if another fish dies and if I have a place to send them.

But on a good note I had got the Tank nice looking and will try to take good pics of the tank when I get a chance.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

That's sucks. Didn't you have a check valve?

I hope all goes well. For me, I have a 10 gallon but that tank is very very neglected now. Nonetheless planted of course :-D. I'm focusing on smaller tanks now. Much much more manageable.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
Chrona
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a 10g planted too. I don't even bother with a check valve, and simply keep the water in the soda bottle below 3 inches from the cap and have never had any issues. As a side note though, without a check valve, you need to be sure your mixture cools to room temperature before capping it, or it WILL draw tank water into the bottle.
Chrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
That's sucks. Didn't you have a check valve?

I hope all goes well. For me, I have a 10 gallon but that tank is very very neglected now. Nonetheless planted of course :-D. I'm focusing on smaller tanks now. Much much more manageable.
Yeah I have a check valve and that is what got me. So I switched the check valv and created a DIY Bubble Counter. I took a powerade bottle and drilled a hole in the side top and cap of bottle and stuck the hose in the side hole that leads from the CO2 generator(soda bottle) to the bubble counter. Then another hose from the cap to the tank. Im hoping it goes well too. The only thing to do now is wait for the water to clear and then it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona
I have a 10g planted too. I don't even bother with a check valve, and simply keep the water in the soda bottle below 3 inches from the cap and have never had any issues. As a side note though, without a check valve, you need to be sure your mixture cools to room temperature before capping it, or it WILL draw tank water into the bottle.
My water is very cool. I just dont want to take any more chances. Im going to be keeping a close eye on it.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #21
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Unhappy *sigh* :(

Okay well new stock so far is:

1 Betta
1 Neon Tetra

I went from 2 Platys, 6 Neon Tetras, and a Betta to this. Its horrible. I need to find out why, why, why!!! I just dont know what to do with the betta. Im thinking if the last neon tetra dies to go with a 2.5g(secretly snuck in lol) for the betta, planted and everything. Then Ill need to find a stock for my 10g.

Let me rephrase I got a Betta Left! .

And to inform I had acclimated them .
Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #22
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Default Just Wondering

If I was to have my tank growout a bit with the Betta what would you suggest for stocking. I was loving cherry Barbs but they are red like the Betta, and looking at the Lemon Tetras......so many to choose and I need help. Im wanting to have a small school and maybe some sort of bottom feeder. Thanks you guys. I just cant choos because if it were me I would take them all.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 AM   #23
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Well as for a bottom feeder, get an oto. They are the greatest fish you'll ever keep :-D. Can't live without one!

Otherwise, I have no idea for fish.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #24
Chrona
Planted Member

What kind of substrate do you have? Cories make good bottom feeders if you have a fairly smooth substrate (ie not Flourite)
Old 03-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #25
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
Well as for a bottom feeder, get an oto. They are the greatest fish you'll ever keep :-D. Can't live without one!

Otherwise, I have no idea for fish.
I had never had luck with them lol. They die a week after I get them. But I think by the time this tank is all balanced and grown out it should be safe for them. I was thinking 2 or 3 if thas the case. Would that be too many or no?

I was thinking if I did any of the listed fish I would do something like this:

Option #1
Male Betta
7 Lemon Tetra
3 Oto

Option #2
Male Betta
4-5 Female Cherry Barbs
3 Oto

Option #3
Male Betta
7 Blue Tetra
3 Oto

I like to push the limits a bit because if I understock it looks bare but if I overstock I like it(only within reason). I just realized its a stocking posts!!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #26
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Go with Option 3.

Chrona: You should really use both a checkvalve and a separating bottle just in case the yeast goes crazy. The separating bottle will keep the yeast from entering the tank.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 AM   #27
Chrona
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Go with Option 3.

Chrona: You should really use both a checkvalve and a separating bottle just in case the yeast goes crazy. The separating bottle will keep the yeast from entering the tank.
I will work on it. Having some problems finding brass check valves for that diameter around here though
Old 03-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #28
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish
Go with Option 3.

Yeah it might be blue tetras or Razzies.

I agree. The extra bottle will save your fishies IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona
I will work on it. Having some problems finding brass check valves for that diameter around here though
Are the brass ones better then the plastic?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona View Post
What kind of substrate do you have? Cories make good bottom feeders if you have a fairly smooth substrate (ie not Flourite)
Yeah I have Floruite. I love cories but for the idea of this tank is to have the eye catch the Microsword and work its way up to the fish. So anything that is bottom feeder and stays small works great for me.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #30
jebarj90
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jebarj90

You really need a better camera. I thought you were gettting one from your boss???
jebarj90 is offline   Reply With Quote