James From Cali's Tanks Thread *Updates 5/14/07* - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #166
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Did da wood come in yet?!

6 1G Un-filtered Bettas Tanks *Temporary*
4.5G 2 African Dwarf Frogs *Under Construction*
6.6G 3-way Divided Paludarium-Inspired *Under Construction*
15G 6-way Divided Open-Top Planted *Under Construction*
yoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #167
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
I got my Malaysain driftwood today. I tied the Java Moss and the Ferns on and I will get pics up when I can. Im letting it soak for a few weeks or until there are no tannins.

I got it monday(yesterday) as shown above. My birthday is this week and the problem is I have testing on that day and I wont be able to fix up the tank in preparation for the wood. Tomorrow and Thursday are toughies.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #168
dufus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus

Quote:
Are yours Dwarf Sunset Platys. There are normal Sunburst/Sunset Platys that are average size.
I'm pretty sure they're the same fish, just different common names. Like panda cories being called dwarves.

Quote:
I thought E. vivipara was from NA? If its from all americas than thats what Im getting.
Not sure, check APC's plantfinder

Quote:
I want one but I want to maintain a nice balance between subtle and active. The main fish are definitely active. We(me and mom) are in the still choosing stage lol.
I see, well, have fun choosing wiht your mom.

Quote:
Here is a sketch(another one) of the middle and right side of what I want the 10g asian to be. I need to do the coloring and finish it but yeah.
Looks good.

Quote:
The foreground is going to be Downoi but I may move that more to the left side and just fill in that area
That's gonna take forever to fill in!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #169
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
I'm pretty sure they're the same fish, just different common names. Like panda cories being called dwarves.

Not sure, check APC's plantfinder

I see, well, have fun choosing wiht your mom.

Looks good.

That's gonna take forever to fill in!
Patience is key my friend . I have accomplished that(I would have had the fish by now). Why do you think Im taking my time with setting up another tank and a pond lol.

She is so hard headed. I was telling her about Tetras really like to school and I found out a 5g was too small. But she still wants them.

Im looking on APC now for the answer. According to Plant Geek ts says Southern US:

Umbrella Hairgrass

The reason I ask to see if they were the same is cause my LFS sells Dwarf Sunset Platys and Sunset/Suburst Platys. Same Name but different sizes.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #170
dufus
Wannabe Guru

Well, the only explanation i can come up with is your LFS is selling One species as Dwarves, the other as normals.
there are at least 4 varieties of orange platies.
the mickey mouse tailed sunburst platy is the smallest one i think. I have a male of those i think, and a pair of neon oranges.

OR- the LFS has the females as sunsets, and the males as dwarves, it's possible.

The "pet supplies plus"(knock off of petsmart) near me tried to tell me their HQ bred a pretty new dwarf gupy, when it was actually the males of the species, i informed them "nicely" hehe.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #171
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well, the only explanation i can come up with is your LFS is selling One species as Dwarves, the other as normals.
there are at least 4 varieties of orange platies.
the mickey mouse tailed sunburst platy is the smallest one i think. I have a male of those i think, and a pair of neon oranges.

OR- the LFS has the females as sunsets, and the males as dwarves, it's possible.

The "pet supplies plus"(knock off of petsmart) near me tried to tell me their HQ bred a pretty new dwarf gupy, when it was actually the males of the species, i informed them "nicely" hehe.

I was told they were bred to be dwarves. The females are the same size as males so the second theory is out and the normal ones are the same size as Mickey Mouse Platys.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #172
dufus
Wannabe Guru

huh, must be pretty rare, i didn't find much on the net except for a few cases of the lfs mistakingly naming some platies dwarfs, and a few thinking the coral platy is a dwarf.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #173
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
huh, must be pretty rare, i didn't find much on the net except for a few cases of the lfs mistakingly naming some platies dwarfs, and a few thinking the coral platy is a dwarf.
I was researching and the other name given was Dwarf Sunset Coral Platy. They were selectively bred for the size and coloring.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #174
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Well some Text Updates and a pic.

Well first here is the new addition:

He was given to me after the suicidal death of Blaze the Betta. This is Spaz the Gourami lol(friend named him). Now to the tanks.

10g Asian:
(Good Things)
~Added The Malaysian Driftwood
~Added Gourami
~Added Stones For Decorative Touch
(Bad Things)
~pH Is Still 7.6 And Wont Go Lower. Will Be Doing Water Changes Every 2 Weeks To Give The Leaves Time To Alter pH.
~Running Out Of Ferts. Need To Get More. Will Look Into Cheaper Alternatives.
~Plant Leaves Turning Yellow And See Through. Moss Turning Brown. I Believe This Is From Lack Of Ferts.

10g North American:
(Bad Things)
~Algae Every Where!
~Had To Move Inside Due To Stand Warping
~Need More Plants

Im frustrated because I need to get more ferts and right now I have no money and I dont start work for a few more days. So thats my update.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #175
dufus
Wannabe Guru

James- I wouldn't try to lower your ph unless you want to breed something that needs that low of a ph to breed, it's unneeded stress on fish and plants.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #176
boink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)

Quote:

Im frustrated because I need to get more ferts and right now I have no money and I dont start work for a few more days. So thats my update.
Why not kill your NA tank and move all the plants into your asian one--doesnt really make sense to setup another tank if you dont have the funds to properly keep it going. you can always set it up at a later time when money permits
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #177
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
Why not kill your NA tank and move all the plants into your asian one--doesnt really make sense to setup another tank if you dont have the funds to properly keep it going. you can always set it up at a later time when money permits
Well my mom has taking a liken to it(go figure) and so she wants to see it up. Right now Im focusing on the 10g Asian as that is what Im finishing first as it already has everything. I think I could get some ferts (Stump romover, NuSalt, Fleet Enema, Flourish) for cheap so I am investing in that first hand to get that done. Its just been a long month and Im just a bit irritable with everything. But once I get money Im pretty sure that if I stay on track things will be fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 AM   #178
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Well its been a while. And sorry no picture updates just text and a picture I made in Paint lol!

Okay well since the last post ,almost a month ago, Things have been going well. Not too much growth but still the plants are growing. I havent got any ferts as I had been busy with work but my plants seem fine as the are not so demanding. I added 3 Harlequin Rasboras to hang out with my lonesome Male Paradise Fish, Spaz. I have the following in my Asian Biotope:

Fauna: Male Paradise Gourami, 3 Harlequin Rasboras
Flora: Green Hygro, Brown Wendtii Crypt, Java Moss, Dwarf Hairgrass(I hope lol)

Here is my little picture for what the tank resembles now but what it will be like with a higher bioload of fish in the tank:

Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #179
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Well I think I may try Rainbow Shrimp in the tank. A few at least. And if they go well Im going to try and breed them. But they are in the moss in the design above(ones even on the cryptocryne).