primo's 7.9g Ebi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
primo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

primo's 7.9g Ebi

Picked me up an Ebi on sale last Saturday and have begun setting it up.

Based on reviews I've read of the Fluval Shrimp Substrate I decided to stick some leftover Fluorite in it instead and I also didn't think there'd be enough of the FSS for what I wanted to do.

Here's the hardscape, a couple of the pieces of DW are darker because they've been soaking:

Question for the forum... how should I plant this? The only two things I know I want in it right now are a big ol' ball of Christmas Moss and a Red Tiger Lotus. Thinking to tie the moss over the DW and the lotus in the back right corner but am open to any other suggestions. No CO2 and sticking with stock lighting.

I can't seem to imagine any plantings that I like but this is what I have available and would consider getting a plant or two shipped in: anubias nana (wish I had petit), couple crypts, crypt parva, micro chain sword, rotala rotundifolia, needle leaf anarchis, jungle val, and dwarf sag.

I also thought that maybe I could just leave it with moss, the lotus, and put something like the chain swords or parva in the foreground and just let them slowly fill out a "carpet". Maybe put some vals in at the back to make a wall?

Also have 4 pieces of cholla wood but I'm thinking they might take away from the hardscape.

For the pic I've taken out the stock 3D background and turned it around on the back just for now to make the scape easier to see. Planning to leave it open in the back.

Any ideas?!

Oh.. and first shrimp tank, going to put some cherries in it, nothing too fancy/difficult.

Last edited by primo; 09-19-2013 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: title change
primo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Jsquared
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
I also thought that maybe I could just leave it with moss, the lotus, and put something like the chain swords or parva in the foreground and just let them slowly fill out a "carpet". Maybe put some vals in at the back to make a wall?
that sounds pretty good.

When I first read Tiger lotus I imagined it in the V of the wood more towards the middle of the tank with the Rotala or anarchis in the back with the wood mossed out with a carpeting plant to fill in the foreground.

Whatever you do it looks like its going to be a sweet little nano. Look forward to updates.
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
primo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks J!

I think after much deliberation I want it to look something like this:

Red is the lotus, dark green is Christmas moss, and lighter green is dwarf chain swords. I wouldn't mind getting hand on a couple rhizomes of anubias nana petite to stick out the twisting parts of the driftwood in the middle.

I *think* this plant is pygmy chain sword:

I'd like to separate this pot and spread it to begin a carpet, maybe order a pot or two online if I need to.

Lastly, the cholla wood I mentioned before... I don't think it works to just lay down but considered doing some sort of 5 stump formation. I'd cut the cholla wood into smaller pieces and stick them out of the substrate. I could either make a semi circle where the middle one is the tallest and they get progressively shorter around the circle, arrange in a flower type (think like a daisy) with different heights, or just nothing at all. I'm not sure I like it but then when I imagine it all filled with the chain sword it kind of breaks up the grass field effect.

I could put rando stumps throughout the carpet with logs sticking out diagonally.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
second
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Some crypt parva would look nice in the front, I have been thinking of one of these for some time now, however I went with a spec v because of the hidden filter.
Ps hide a piece of chola wood in the back, the shrimp will love it.
second is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
hryder77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice start so far it seems
hryder77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.