Color temp for discus/par for ground cover plants in tall tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Color temp for discus/par for ground cover plants in tall tank

I have a tank 48"L x13"w x 24"t. I'm guessing 65gallons. Right now I have four large fancy goldfish. I'm thinking about converting it to a planted discus tank. My desired look is green ground cover with lots of narrow mossy driftwood spires or cypress knees. Maybe NL java fern or something else tall and thin as a background plant.

Two questions:
1)best color temperature for discus?
2)what does it take to get good par a 24"?

Filtration is a one year old, well aged fx5.
I'm thinking about getting four t5s or two bml led's at about 70 angle or narrower each or a BML and two t5's.. open for suggestions. I want thick green grass on the floor.

I want a simple, clean look that also gives the discus what they need. They need warm water, great filtration and things to hide behind, ergo the cypress knees et al.

Last edited by Loco4Tanks; 09-19-2013 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Retarded
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

I haven't decided on co2 yet. I may have to go with flourish Excel at first. I need to also, do more research on discus. I'm not sure how they handle co2,given they need such warm water. I would love baby tears. I'm thinking short thin grass in the foreground with slightly taller in the middle and taller yet just in front of the background plants. I want the discus to be the attention not the plants.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

*bump*
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Double bump!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Really?
Nobody has a suggestion on lighting for discus in a 24" tall , 48" long, 13" wide , 65gallon aquarium, with dwarf grass as a fore and mid ground then various taller grasses towards the rear?
Nobody?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have two T5HO 48" bulbs on my 120 gallon discus biotope. Both Geissman bulbs, a Midday which is 6000k(daylight) and an aqua flora not sure the kelvin (a lot of magenta). The magenta in the flora will bring out the reds in your discus and cover the red spectrum for plants. The midday covers your blue spectrum. My tank is mostly moss and does well with this combo and my discus colors look nice.

Any bulb that claims it will brighten fish colors(colormax etc) will likely be in the red spectrum. It's great for pigeon blood discus btw.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Also I think 4 t5's on a 60 gallon will not only have to be raised off the lid far to prevent algae but will likely need pressurized c02. Two t5's should be plenty.

Also since your discus come first you should choose lower maintenance plants like stems(cambomba etc), swords, mosses. DHG should be fine though slow growing without C02, HC requires high C02 and maintenance for results. I keep a low tech wood and moss discus biotope and high light c02 injected planted tank. Takes care of all my tank needs

Check out the SimplyDiscus Forum they have a planted tank section that will help you a lot.

Oh yea and one more thing, definitely have your planted tank established and under control before you purchase discus. They will need time to settle in and the last thing you want to be doing is putting your arms in the tank aquascaping etc the first few weeks.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco4Tanks View Post
Two questions:
1)best color temperature for discus?
2)what does it take to get good par a 24"?
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...view-with-pics
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

I think we're leaning toward brilliant blue or blue checkerboard... so I'd want to highlight the blues and green (for the plants). We're going to choose only one type of discus. I like the simple, uncluttered look that a single color fish set against a clean looking backdrop gives. I can also picture doing a full wall to wall carpet of DHG, with mossy driftwood and/or clean cypress knees. I already have the organized clutter of a dutch planted. I want this to have a clean, "sophisticated, look.
I don't mind doing compressed co2 if the discus don't mind. I know I like the contrast between lush green and striking blue, when it's displayed properly.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Here you go~

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
SejRamkas
Planted Member

Have you ever kept discus before? They are a lot of work by themselves and even more when you add them to a planted tank. I would advise trying them both separately and getting comfortable with the aspects of both individually before combining them. I have done both and I am speaking from experience. If you do decide to go with discus make the investment to get large 4+" fish because they will require less maintenance than the juveniles(2-3"), and juveniles hardly ever grow to full potential in planted environments.

All that being said I think going with some blue diamonds would look really nice. The bright solid blue color looks great contrasting the green.

not both blue diamonds, but you get the idea:
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/membe...nirvana-34632/

Also as others have suggested simplydiscus.com is a wonderful resource when keeping these difficult, yet rewarding fish.
SejRamkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post

not both blue diamonds, but you get the idea:
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/membe...nirvana-34632/

Also as others have suggested simplydiscus.com is a wonderful resource when keeping these difficult, yet rewarding fish.
Pretty.. and looks to be using those "pink" fluorescent bulbs..
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote