No tech coffee table display.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

No tech coffee table display.

hey guys! decided to start up a planted vase in the sunroom.

was rummaging around looking for something else and found this

i had some sand and dirt left over from my big tank build and decided to give it ago. this measures out at about 1.4l so i dont think ill put shrimp in it.

got it dirty

cleaned it up

finished! after stirring up the dirt about 10 times because im a idiot.

i was going to use a sword from my nano but this little thing was floating on top so i thought it would do. no idea what it is, but it thrives in my nano and melts in my 4ft so will see how it goes. once my moss grows back a bit (in my cube) ill be covering the bottom in java.

its going to be sitting in the sun room with probably 5-7 hours sunlight, might have to move it once summer comes around as it will probably catch fire

Last edited by frenchie1001; 09-23-2013 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: title change
frenchie1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks good. Depending on what you want I would do some stem plants instead of the sword. I think they would fill up and use more of the vertical space of the tall vase. I actually just started a large brandy glass no tech vase too with dwarf hair grass and a moss tree.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the sword will look amazing in that jar! Subscribed.....
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

I think I just want one larger plant in here for a clean look rather than a stem jungle. I can only just get my hand all the way to the bottom so I don't really want to have to do much maintaince. I love the idea of hair grass! Interested to how goes, a floor of hg with a tall plant would look fantastic!

I agree about the sword! Laziness just got the best of me with it. As soon as a baby sword breaks off ill chuck it in.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will probably be putting some stems in my vase for their quick growth but I am covering the surface with water lettuce, and doing a gnarly Xmas moss tree. I have the tree starting in my high tech tank to get thing going.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's gonna be nice if that plant grows in and fills it up. So, I noticed this was yesterday. How many have you built since then? They're addictive. I had 5 done within 3 days of my first.

Last edited by Seedreemer; 09-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: grammar
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the shape of your vase.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedreemer View Post
It's gonna be nice if that plant grows in and fills it up. So, I noticed this was yesterday. How many have you built since then? They're addictive. I had 5 done within 3 days of my first.
oh man, i have been eyeing off every vase in the house since i set this up. if it werent for GTAV i think every surface in the house would be covered with.

im hoping it will fill up, when i brought the parent plant or whatever it kinda resembles a thin sword with balls. i havent been able to i.d it yet, and the LFS got sent it by mistake so he isnt sure.

probably much to my grandparents chargin as i still live at home, they are understanding of my hobbies, but probably not when it takes over the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I like the shape of your vase.
i do to, im glad my nan has good taste i vases she will never use

sitting in the sun! here is hoping it will work. i have also found a shallow ball i am think of filling with some Hairgrass out of my big tank, i dont know i have enough patients to plant it though haha
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I saw your other thread, lol. I at one point was considering hitting the streets to score some vases, hehe.

I think that's pygmy chain sword. When you said it had the balls I remembered seeing something like it on liveaquaria dot com in their freshwater plants section, page 2. Every one of these I've ever had has ended up growing tall so either I've gotten the wrong plant for years from different sources or it'll grow tall at times.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

yeahhh, the addiction struck. now it looks odd there are 2 bowls/vase on the table, maybe time for a third haha!

your sir, are correct! i just googled it. hopefully this one is a rouge and gets tall. if not it can go as a centre piece in the bowl.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love the shiney new workbench you have there. It looks like it's only 50 or 60 years old!!!

Nice little vase. I'm tempted to try one at my office. The cactus are suffering cause I'm gone to much. Maybe something like java fern in a vase will work better.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

haha! that work bench has served my pop for 45 years or something! its a shame only 10% of it isnt covered in [censored][censored][censored][censored]!

i think if i do a third one, it will be java fern.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie1001 View Post
your sir, are correct! i just googled it. hopefully this one is a rouge and gets tall. if not it can go as a centre piece in the bowl.
I just read last night if it's in low light it gets tall, which explains my past experiences. I don't know what your hours of sunlight will do for it, but I know once it gets started it grows fast for me. It'll be pretty in the vase.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

lets hope it goes crazy!

pictures to come but there in a now a small bowl with hair grass and bacopa sitting next to this.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

I think ive turned a experiment into a coffee table display! My grand parents are surprisingly interested which makes it good.

I am thinking ill add a 2nd smaller vase with a tall sword or some kinda val to round the table off!

I'm undecided on adding a betta in the small bowl as yet. Ill watch the temp and see how it goes. I got a tds meter with temp today so ill keep a close eye on it.

The sword in the vase is growing strongly so I think it's a win there. Just waiting to see how the hair grass and bacopa in the bowl goes.

ive also edited the title to better reflect what this has turned into.

Last edited by frenchie1001; 09-23-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Wrong img