Which canopy fans and how many will I need?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
Hoosch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Hoosch

My tank is 6 ft. x 1 ft. (looking at it from the top), and my canopy is approximately 4 inches wider than the tank (meaning there's open space between the back of the tank and the back of the canopy).
I would of course like to purchase fans that have good output, but that are also quiet. Any suggestions as to which kind of fan to look for? It sounds like a 12v DC fan is the preferred choice. I've got AH's 4x55 watt Bright Kit on it's way as we speak. How many fans should I implement? What about size and positioning of the fans? Will I need to be drilling holes in my canopy, or can I position them in the open space at the back of the canopy and still be efficient enough to cool the lights?
I guess what I'm looking for is the most efficient set-up that's still quiet (and of course something that won't cost a day's pay, but I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks on the fans than have to replace my light bulbs sooner than normal). I plan to hook the fans up to the same timer I'll be using for the lights. Obviously I'll also need a power supply for the fans, but will I need a transformer as well, or is this just necessary when the power supply doesn't match the fan's required current/voltage?
100% Eco-Complete substrate
Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium Heater
Eheim 2217 canister filter

Polypterus senegalus (2) [6"]
Polypterus ornatipinnis [6"]
Polypterus delhezi [7"]
Polypterus weeksii [6"]
Polypterus polli [6"]
Electric catfish [7"]
Rhino plecostomus [6"]
Hoosch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 AM   #2
markstr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Try the "IceCap" 4" Thermo- Sensors.
They Vary the Speed on the Fan and are Extremly Quiet.......
I have had them on my Reef Tank (on sides of Canopy) ....
One pointed in, the other out...
Your not going to have the Heat like on a Reef with Halides but they
have smaller versions as well I believe......
Think they are around $42.00 each approx...
markstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosch
How many fans should I implement? What about size and positioning of the fans? Will I need to be drilling holes in my canopy, or can I position them in the open space at the back of the canopy and still be efficient enough to cool the lights?
I guess what I'm looking for is the most efficient set-up that's still quiet (and of course something that won't cost a day's pay, but I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks on the fans than have to replace my light bulbs sooner than normal). I plan to hook the fans up to the same timer I'll be using for the lights. Obviously I'll also need a power supply for the fans, but will I need a transformer as well, or is this just necessary when the power supply doesn't match the fan's required current/voltage?
Those IceCap fans look nice, but are definitely a bit pricey. If you're not wanting to spend that much, then it's pretty easy to piece your own system together for a lot less.
I would go with two 4" 12VDC fans, one at each end, with one pushing air in and the other pulling air out. The 12V fans are definitely quieter. Best place to get 12V fans is from a computer parts website, or even better a computer swap meet. They have boxes of those fans for a few dollars a piece.
For the transformer, I use a regular 12V transformer from Wal-mart.

PSL has some fan kits for a pretty cheap price if you can't find the PC fans...
http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/aparts_fans.htm
Old 01-22-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
d28 boy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to d28 boy

has anyone done actual comparison of the icecap "superquiet" fans to standard pc box fans? i am in the same situation as Hoosch. my tank is in a very quiet part of the house and i hope to keep it in its present state of tranquility, but need to add fans to my hood for the 4x55 setup. in a relatively cool environment (coastal pacific northwest) where temps do not exceed 80F, is it feasible to create a convection cooling situation with a standard wooden hood? just throwin' it out there...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If you want inexpensive quiet fans check out http://pcpowerandcooling.com/product...rfan/index.htm I use these in my canopy. If you mount them correctly and don't stress or warp the frame they are silent.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

http://www.nexfan.com/60mmfans.html

Fans starting at $1.99. They have a huge selection of not only fans but all the accessories too plus some cheap thermosensors. Shipping is at a flat rate of $6 or $7.

Call me crazy, but its only a idea as of now. Since the weather outside is freezing, I was actually thinking a hooking something like dryer vent tubing from a window to the canopy. No fans since the difference of >100F will be enough to cool the hood/plus selfactivated circulation. Anyway, just an idea, not trying to run with the post.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
markstr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have used the IceCap Fan in my Canopy and even though they are a
bit Pricey they are a GREAT FAN!!!

The THermo Sensor is a great feature allowing the fan to vary the amount
of flow within the Canopy so, Depending how hot it is in there it will vary..
And this is a quiet fan.... and Well Built...........
markstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #8
d28 boy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to d28 boy

i'm sure this has been gone over many times, but what does the wiring situation entail(from a wiring gimp!)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.