Hello, Everyone
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
barbre44
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello, Everyone

I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I'm a transplant () from Illinois and now a life long resident of Fort Collins. Before we moved out here I had 2 10g tanks, a 39g and a 75g, but with the move all but the 10g had to be sold. My son (8) came home a few weeks ago with another 10g tank he bought at a yard sale. He was very proud of himself! Well, that got me going again so we set it up with 2 albino corys, 8 neons, 4 guppies, and a mystery snail. The petsmart guppies died almost instantly. We went to D&G and got two guppies that my son now has in a little 3g tank and they are doing well.

Well, it didn't take long for me to want something more and I went out and got a 20g high at Petco during the $1 a gallon sale and I'm ready remake my planted tank. I need to find a place to refill my co2 canister and I'm still looking for a good place to get plants. D&G has some nice ones but they are very expensive. Found firedupaquatics.net online but don't know anything about them. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
barbre44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Dulkred
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Welcome!

Couple of options for co2. If it's a paintball tank, you can fill it at either Sports Authority in town. For 5/10 lbs tanks, you should be able to get those filled at Jax (which will also fill paintball tanks).

For plants, locally is really just D&G, although the packaged plants at Petco and Petsmart are pretty nice, if you pick a non-melted package. I've had great luck with their assorted crypts, and fairly good luck with the rest. Great White doesn't tend to have much variety the couple times I've checked. The new place opening soon(?) is an unknown.

For online the only place I could recommend is the "For Sale/Trade" section of this forum. I've had good luck ordering plants from other hobbiest via the forums.

There's also a few local members that may have some stuff for trade (I don't really have anything at the moment or I'd offer!)
Dulkred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
barbre44
Algae Grower

Dulkred,

Thanks for the info. I drive by JAX every day so I'll give them a shot (I have a 5lb tank).
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Definitely Jax! I refill my 5lb there for just under $10! You get it refilled in the military surplus dept.

I usually have a lot of trimmings that I just end up giving away. If you're interested, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulkred View Post
The new place opening soon(?) is an unknown.
What new place??

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
barbre44
Algae Grower

Good price. In Illinois I had to go 15 miles to a shop that dealt with fire equipment to fill it and I think they charged me $20.

Yes, when you have some clippings I'd be interested.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Dulkred
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post

What new place??
The Fish Crew. Not sure when their opening is, but I'm guessing it's not too far away. They're opening next to the Safeway on Harmony.
Dulkred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
Good price. In Illinois I had to go 15 miles to a shop that dealt with fire equipment to fill it and I think they charged me $20.

Yes, when you have some clippings I'd be interested.
I trimmed just last weekend, so ~2 weeks, I should have some healthy proportions to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulkred View Post
The Fish Crew. Not sure when their opening is, but I'm guessing it's not too far away. They're opening next to the Safeway on Harmony.
Wow, I did not know about this! Looks like they are a lot more serious about plants than some of the other LFS around here.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Welcome to Colorado Barbre. Sounds like your off the a good start.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
sumer
Hates love!

PTrader: (21/96%)

Hey,
Nice to see another guy in FoCo.
I have a LOT of Syngonanthus belem to give away. Please come by if you'd like it.
sumer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
barbre44
Algae Grower

Thanks, everyone!

I'm still a week or so from setting up the new tank.

Came home and my son's male guppy was dead. I've never had trouble with guppy's before.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I'm a transplant () from Illinois and now a life long resident of Fort Collins. Before we moved out here I had 2 10g tanks, a 39g and a 75g, but with the move all but the 10g had to be sold. My son (8) came home a few weeks ago with another 10g tank he bought at a yard sale. He was very proud of himself! Well, that got me going again so we set it up with 2 albino corys, 8 neons, 4 guppies, and a mystery snail. The petsmart guppies died almost instantly. We went to D&G and got two guppies that my son now has in a little 3g tank and they are doing well.

Well, it didn't take long for me to want something more and I went out and got a 20g high at Petco during the $1 a gallon sale and I'm ready remake my planted tank. I need to find a place to refill my co2 canister and I'm still looking for a good place to get plants. D&G has some nice ones but they are very expensive. Found firedupaquatics.net online but don't know anything about them. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Welcome back to the hobby

If you can make it down south, There is always Aqua Imports in Boudler, I know its quite a drive, but they do have inexpensive plants and can special order what you want. And they can get just about any fish species you might want as well.

We also have the Colorado Aquarium Society auction coming up.
http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/ofil...tion2013_c.jpg
You can usually get some pretty decent plants and great fish there. And get to know more people in the community.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #12
barbre44
Algae Grower

Thanks, Noah! Aqua Imports sounds cool, might be about time for a road trip! I'll have to see if I can make the auction as well.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Welcome to the site!!!

I personally don't know if there's any good fish stores in FoCo, but I came across this website http://www.dandgpetstore.com/

They're located at 925 E. Harmony #250 in Fort Collins...

But I'm sure someone from that area knows where to find the best deals, and best plant selection.

For co2 refills I just go to a local hydroponic store in Aurora for a $12 flat fee.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #14
jfritz
Algae Grower

I 2nd the suggestion of hydroponics stores for CO2 refills. I think I got my 5 gal tank filled for $8 last time at ACE Hydroponics in Broomfield.

I just went to "About Fish" a few days ago for the first time. They have some pretty interesting varieties of fish, e.g. some fabulous electric blue rams. They're at 72nd and Federal, https://www.facebook.com/AboutFishInc

They also had some basic plants.
jfritz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
TraceyW
Planted Member

Welcome to Colorado and Fort Collins! I've pretty much stopped trying to buy anything alive at Petsmart. Stock is usually not good and the survival rate is very low of anything I bought there. Petco I've had much better luck and got some nice yellow snakeskin guppies there a few months ago and they're still going strong. Petco also has a guarantee if your fish die within I think 2 weeks, you bring the body back with a sample of your water they test and they will replace it free for you.

Have you cycled your tanks? Sounds like they're fairly new and if they haven't been cycled that could be causing your fatalities too.

Forums here are great for picking up fish/shrimp/snails/plants either throught the For Sale forum or the RAOK/WTB ection. RAOK if you win it you get the items for free and only have to pay shipping for them. Nice way to get some plants into your tanks.

I didn't know about the new fish store opening. I'll have to check it out when it does as it's near wear I work. I heard Great White Aquatics closed and D&G has a limited selection of plants. The Colorado Aquarium Society semi-annual auctions down in Denver are also a great place to get just about everything. I've gotten some really nice fish and shrimp there over the last few years.

Welcome back to the hobby!
TraceyW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.