ADA 60P---Failure....Low Tech again. - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #181
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Would it work if you hook up Co2 and just had a lower bps? Sort of like a low tech with a boost of stable Co2, I'm thinking the added Co2 can't hurt.

What kind of fertilizers are you adding? Would the ADA Soil and the fish food be enough for a low tech?

I'm starting to think low techs are harder to do then high.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #182
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Would it work if you hook up Co2 and just had a lower bps? Sort of like a low tech with a boost of stable Co2, I'm thinking the added Co2 can't hurt.

What kind of fertilizers are you adding? Would the ADA Soil and the fish food be enough for a low tech?

I'm starting to think low techs are harder to do then high.
I have done both, using low amounts of CO2 or none. If you have a basically algae free tank, adding low amounts of CO2 can have a great effect on growth without any negatives of high tech, except adding ferts. In a low tech setup without CO2, with a nutrient rich substrate, you can really get away without any dosing until you actually see deficiencies.

It may seem more challenging to dose for deficiencies but it's really not. For example, if I see plants loosing color or leaves start changing shape, I don't dose per that deficiency, I just dose an EI amount of everything, or some Flourish Comprehensive and wait until the next time.

The same idea would apply to a lower light tank with CO2. But at that point, you may as well jump up to 30PPM because there is no reason not to. The downside is that you likely need to start dosing daily or atleast routinely.

CO2 in an otherwise low tech setup is actually a really easy way to get a really lush, easy to deal with tank. Sounds great and it can be if you are content to limit your plants. CO2 will not make up for lack of light so you won't get intense reds or get a plant that can't carpet in the amount of light you have to carpet. So, you have that limitation. I have found that their are plenty of red plants that don't need a ton of light, as well as plants that carpet well without a ton of light. It's a great way to go. However, once you are in the hobby long enough, and have the equipment to do more, it's hard to set limits on yourself. I often consider going this route.

My personal problem is that I am very stubborn, yet fairly patient which makes it easy for me to make my life harder. Going low tech for a bit was probably the first time in a while in this hobby where I said, hey, this could be easier and did so, but I new I would have to change out some plants long term. That's probably where this tank will come together as well, once I start getting sick of plants that are not doing well, find an easier substitute. That's really the way to go for a long term type scape anyway.

Hope that makes sense, if you look at my 6 gallon, you will see that my tank never has algae but I also never clean it, and rarely fertilize it. I just need to find a go to carpet plant besides Riccia as that hasn't stayed down well long term and adds a ton of maintenance. I could use moss as well, just not a huge fan of moss myself.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #183
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, lack luster update. I have been neglecting the tank. I don't know how long it's been without ferts. I don't know why but I seem to be able to get BGA better since I moved. Not sure if it's my water or something, but it comes back with any neglect.

Having the same issues. The easy plants grow well, the plants that could be red are green, and the plants that never look good green look bad. I have never had a ton of luck with red plants in high tech so I am just not worrying. Especially since I have not been up on my ferts anyway.

Kind of uninspired about the tank right now, both because I have other things requiring my attention, as well as things are not going as planned. I think I may add some more easy to grow plants and skip the hard ones. Likely not immediately and I may extend the photoperiod and see what happens. I find that it is easy to get more color that way, but the changes of algae outbreaks go up.

Didn't even clean the tank or pull out a decent camera. I did want to take some full shots that don't work with my other camera as I love seeing how other people's tanks look in the room. Here are some horrible pics for you guys and gals.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #184
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Non picture update....well, this tank has been seriously neglected to the point I may have to start over. Making things worse, I accidentally killed all my fish. I usually use cold water to fill my tanks. I didn't think to touch the water when refilling until after I had topped off the tank, about 3 gallons (serious neglect). I don't know if it was new water or the extremely cold temperature of the water but my fish didn't survive. My tank was well below normal temp even a full day after top off. I thought my heater had failed at first but I guess the inline heater, combined with a slow filter, it just wasn't up to the task of heating up a large amount of water quickly. I feel very stupid making a mistake that kills all my fish when I have been in the hobby this long. More importantly, it makes me feel irresponsible.

I have strongly considered getting out of the hobby. However, at the same time, my 6 gallon is going fine with the same amount of work (none). It could use a trim, it isn't scaped to perfection, but it's attractive.

I really need to decide where I want to go with this. Not looking for advice on the hobby, per say, as I it's really hard for someone to convince someone to stay back in the hobby but I have some ideas that may get me back.

1. Would a Satellite Freshwater LED+ work well without CO2? I am not against using CO2 but I am not doing the maintenance associated with it. I want to go back to low tech for sure. In the interim, I can use my Coralife T5NO fixture. Not looking to drop money now, but lighting will need to change.

2. Will Aquasoil be in the ball park of a dirted tank? I typically only use about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil in my dirted tanks which seems to do fine for about 1 to 1.5 years. After that, I may have to add some Flourish Comprehensive from time to time but that is it. If I can get about the same with AS, then it will be fine for me.

3. My high tech tanks seem to attract BGA quickly when neglected. My low tech tanks never get it. Is it likely that it will go away with different lighting and no CO2. My gut tells me "no" and I should nuke it but I am curious if anyone has gone low tech and successfully conquered BGA with just a lighting change.

I think my only goal for this tank is to change the light out and see what changes. I will turn the CO2 off, stop dosing, and go from there. Then I will likely let it just grow into a jungle, one that will hopefully have very little maintenance and algae.

Sad that I finally got all nice equipment and I now want to quit. I think Dutch was too ambitious for my skill level. One major issue without having hard scape is that when your tank looks bad, you have no redeeming factor, it's just ugly across the board. Before I even think about a restart, I just want to make sure I have something I can manage.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #185
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Things can spiral out of control rather quickly in a high tech build if you get complacent -- which you know. If you can't allocate the time or enthusasim to maintain it, and you still have a little interest in the hobby, I'd definitely go low tech.

I've seen that you posted already in mihnata's ADA 60p Low-Tech "Cheburashka"... I think her tank/build is looking pretty darn good for being low tech with the Sat+. I say go for it! She seems to being having success with a 60p, AquaSoil, and Sat+ combo. I really like my Sat+ fixtures... they're so versatile with the color options and dynamic modes.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #186
mihnata
Algae Grower

I have to say, I LOVE Sat+ fixture! Probably my best investment. When I got some kind of algae due to high nutrients and no CO2, all I did is water changes and reduced light intensity. Now, when all algae is gone, I put it back on brightest. I find it really useful to be able to find the setting which work best for me. I don't really use the presets or dynamic modes, but if somebody comes over I just have to show off +))
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #187
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Don't quit bro, remember that this is your tank and it's for your own amusement. If it's a low tech and you get joy out of it, your goal is met. Make the tank fit you, no one else is going to look down on you for having less fert, less light and less Co2.

Your tank looks fine right now anyways. I think you can still keep the layout and just go slow if it fits your schedule better.

There is no timeline for progression, no top 10 IAPLC placing at the 3rd year mark, no expectation. Remember, some of those gorgeous tanks are done by people trying to make a living. Planted aquariums is their livelihood while just a hobby to us "mortals".
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #188
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Don't quit bro, remember that this is your tank and it's for your own amusement. If it's a low tech and you get joy out of it, your goal is met. Make the tank fit you, no one else is going to look down on you for having less fert, less light and less Co2.

Your tank looks fine right now anyways. I think you can still keep the layout and just go slow if it fits your schedule better.

There is no timeline for progression, no top 10 IAPLC placing at the 3rd year mark, no expectation. Remember, some of those gorgeous tanks are done by people trying to make a living. Planted aquariums is their livelihood while just a hobby to us "mortals".
I understand but my tank does not look fine, plus I killed off all my fish, 5 years into the hobby. Not trying to win an award, though I do think I got ahead of myself. Not trying to make a living here, I have done that with music and I know what it takes to go from hobbyist to professional.

I know I sound really self deprecating but at the same time, I am just really over this tank, at least at high tech. I don't have ottos to clean up since I killed them. However, I think using my Coarlife fixture, then maybe upgrading to a Current may allow me to have a nice looking tank without it being my job. I loved it being my part time job for so long but I can't hack it right now....

Anyway, here is the tank it all it's glory. I hope to sell the light and make enough or close to what it will cost for the Current.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #189
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I did get some chance to clean the tank today. I am probably not going to deal with the BGA immediately, I just want to see what happens. I did a 50% water change. I plan to do this a lot for awhile. If the BGA gets worse, I will nuke it.

Unfortunately, my heater failed. I need to check the box and see what the warranty is on it. It doesn't matter in the short term as I don't have any fish anymore. I also retired my auto dosing setup, at least for the time being. I am keeping my CO2 setup but only running about 10 bubbles per second. I may give up on high light but I am not sure about CO2 yet. I mainly don't want anything to back siphon so I figured I will run it for now.

Lastly, before I dump money into this, I figured I would try cutting down my light, just like I did with the first. I basically took a 30in Coralife T5NO fixture and found the difference in bulb length was 5.5 inches. This can be done without splicing wires but I didn't think about it until after the fact. Was pretty simple to do. I am running T5HO bulbs right now, under driving them at 18 watts each. Should probably switch to T5NO bulbs but if it works, it works. I do like the slim profile of the light but it also doesn't reach the back well so it may or may not work. In the past, I would raise them up about 1 inch but I will see how much I care.

From here to the foreseeable future, I am just going to run this low tech again. I hope the BGA goes away. Any other algae, I will use algae fix or Excel/H2O2 on. I will likely trim back the foreground hard as I know that everything grew quite a bit more compact last time I dialed down the light.

Anyway, I cleaned it up a fair amount and trimmed a lot. Unfortunately I had to through away almost a gallon pitcher of plants as I did not want to give these to anyone.

Here are new pics. I will take one further back in the future as the new light looks a lot sleeker.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #190
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, not to whore my thread more but I am officially retiring that light. Even if I go high tech again, it is just something about it where I never had success. If anything, I may actually go with 2 Coarlife lights again, my first successful high tech setup.

I only post this as since the stand is pretty low already, and I have had this light big old light hanging since I moved any. Compared to some pics above, you can see how different it looks.

Oh, an my wife told me this. "The tank looks a lot better. Don't get my wrong, it still looks like crap, just a lot better". Got a kick out of that.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #191
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Eh, brother... Why don't you take that light, get in the car, and safely get over to my place. You have a phone call incoming.

v3
Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #192
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Non picture update since everything looks the same. I am noticing new growth and it's as expected, since I already did low tech. I am getting really slow growth but it looks healthier (not as leggy), more colorful, and more compact. The best part for me right now, it's slow. I think that is what I need, just a tank that exists, I don't do much and trim every month or so. I really think I picked the right direction to go in, considering that I am not so into it right now.

I truly believe I can create an attractive low tech tank if it goes the same way as my last try, it will just take longer to grow in. However, that doesn't mean it will be slower, I haven't made a lot of progress since September.

Like always, my favorite plant buddy is trying to twist my arm. That is a very fortunate thing, I am not complaining and I am still in the dark about a lot of the details. Nice when someone at that level of planted tanks steps in when I have trouble. I was drunk when he called so I had to hold off. Now I am sick, but will call soon. We will see where this goes from here but I may have some changes I am excited about.

Anyway, I am just saying, I am happy and I want to say this...if you are having trouble with high tech, low tech just may be your thing. I don't know why I keep trying to prove to myself I suck at high tech, I have had one really nice high tech tank and a bunch of bad ones. My low techs always work out as planned. So, don't be like me and keep fighting the idea that high tech is the only way to go. I seriously just did a 180 on my feelings about my tank (was going to sell everything but the actual tank off), and now I am happy, haven't even dosed ferts and don't plan to. Just need to nuke the BGA. I also feel more comfortable with fish because I have always done better with them in low tech. I think I may do Guppies, how is that for an ADA tank...haha.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #193
OVT
Carpe Diem

I am getting to love guppies: colorful and active. And if you get just 3, you will never run out.

v3
Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #194
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I am getting to love guppies: colorful and active. And if you get just 3, you will never run out.

v3
Well, I am hoping to get just males or females. I have only had them in nano sized tanks and even though their "goofy" behavior doesn't fit a natural style tank, it fits just about any other type. I overlooked this fish for a long time, getting hooked on Amano's work, thinking they were not "cool" enough, but I really think they are one of the most entertaining fish in behavior, plus you can get any color you would ever want.

I am legitly sick BTW. I will call you when I am feeling better.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #195
OVT
Carpe Diem

Do get well soon. I also have some nice guppies for you, if you want them. For whatever reasons, my dwarf puffers do not touch neither fry nor adults. Go figure.

v3