bisnick's first aquarium - Fluval Edge 6G
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
bisnicks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

bisnick's first aquarium - Fluval Edge 6G

Hello,
I recently got a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank (LED model). This is my first aquarium that I've had.
Anyways, after reading all of the beginner's notes on the sidebar and countless posts, I've finally got a tentative plan for the tank.
  • Substrate- AquaSoil Amazonia Normal - 9 liters
  • Heater- EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 25W
  • Filter- Stock Fluval Edge 6G filter
  • Lighting- Stock 21 LED lights, considering swapping the 42 LED 12 gallon model light in or setting a Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 16-Inch on top for additional lighting.
  • Hardscape- 7 lbs of Seiryu stone
  • Flora- DHG carpet in the foreground, possibly Java Fern in the background, maybe some Xmas moss or java moss on the rocks? Still deciding here.
  • Fauna- (Will only be added once cycling is complete)
    1. Planned - ~10-20 Red Cherry Shrimp,~1-2 nerite snails
    2. Under consideration - ~6-10 green neon tetras OR ~6-10 Celestial Pearl Danio OR ~6-10 Endler's Livebearer
  • Accessories-
    1. Seachem Flourish Tabs 40 Count - Bury some in the substrate before filling
    2. Seachem Flourish Excel 250ml - As I don't plan on CO2 injection for now, I'm considering utilizing this.
    3. API Freshwater Master Test Kit - Solid reviews on Amazon, need a test kit.
    4. U.P. Aqua Professional (long) Scissor - Again, good reviews, need to keep things trimmed down.
    5. Aqua World Sand Scraper - Figured this would help reach throughout the Edge when aquascaping.
    6. 25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System - To clean the tank, this seems handy enough where water maintenance shouldn't be a hassle.
Besides, the substrate, the tank, the stock lighting, the stock filter and the hardscape, everything else is pretty much tentative.
Any recommendations for foods for the specific fauna mentioned would be appreciated.
Also, a couple questions:
  1. I've heard Aquasoil has high ammonia when first being used and that you should avoid planting and obviously stocking until the levels go down. However, in most aquascaping videos featuring aquasoil, I notice that they plant it right away and then fill it up. Is this OK to do?
  2. For the Seiryu stone, I've heard stone should be boiled for 15 minutes before placing in the tank. Would you agree with this advice?
Please let me know if you have any feedback for me regarding my plan. I'm trying to do things somewhat right the first time and am approaching with caution before jumping into things.
bisnicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

No pictures?
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.