65gal "To Be Announced"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

65gal "To Be Announced"

After some time with the 40 breeder, I figure I need a taller tank. I bought this 65gal back in April when I decided to go in a different direction. It
s been sitting on the stand for 5 months, being that I like to hunt, fish, and get out of town every weekend in the summer. Now that the season is coming to an end I can get this project started. Now that winter is coming and the new school year has started, I can get this build going. The 65gal has been and still is empty, but I have done a little work on the stand and new filter. I took the 10lbs 1/3 full Co2 tank back to Airgas and was able to do a straight trade for a 5lbs filled. I also ditched the canister for a Aqueon Proflex Model 3. The stand has been cleaned and prepped for a water proof coat of ultra-white paint, along with water proof silicone lined around the filter floor area. I had to take the brace out to slide the AP3 into the stand, it was easy enough. There's just enough room for the Co2 to fit. Man this is a nice size tank!

Last edited by Assassynation; 09-17-2013 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: title change
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Since the tank is 3ft from my bed, I'll need a submersible pump that is really quiet. So far it looks like the top 2 contenders are the Eheim or a Sicce Syncra Silent. If you guys have another recommendation, let me know and I'll consider it. Figuring out how to plumb the tank and keep it universal so that if I want to down the road switch from fresh to salt water is a must, hence the purchase of the aqueon proflex 3. The vertical lift from bottom of sump to the output nozzle is 4ft. I have 2 holes drilled, one for input, one for output. I am thinking that I should get a third hole cut for emergency overflow. so I have two questions, one about the pump, and one if I should get the third hole drilled?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

looks nice. good luck with the build.
I understand the use of a sump with a saltwater tank, but I don't see the advantages of using it in a planted tank at all, simply because the risks are to high for the little advantage you get. so please explain to use your thoughts on this.

As for the drilling, a salt water/reef forum may be able to give you better advice on it then most here. Or at least probably quicker.

Last thing, give us an idea of your plans for the build
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
looks nice. good luck with the build.
I understand the use of a sump with a saltwater tank, but I don't see the advantages of using it in a planted tank at all, simply because the risks are to high for the little advantage you get. so please explain to use your thoughts on this.

As for the drilling, a salt water/reef forum may be able to give you better advice on it then most here. Or at least probably quicker.

Last thing, give us an idea of your plans for the build
I was inspired by forum member plantbrain to try a wet/dry filter. I bought the Aqueon Proflex model 3 because if I chose to go saltwater down the road I could change the filter set-up easily. The proflex can be configured for 3 different style's of filters, right now it will be a wet/dry filter. I'm still undecided about what I am going to do with the tank, just getting the equipment in order.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Nestle_
Planted Member

That certainly makes sense.
My opinion with planted tanks and filters is simple, minimalist. Unless you're putting in larger plant safe fish like angels/discus then I see little advantage in running a big filter.
For example on my 46 gallon, the only filter is a small 2in by 2in filter floss, even that is only there to keep the powerhead from clogging.

But I do agree with you that preparing yourself to make a switch. Honestly, if you have the money now to jump into a salt water tank you might as well go after it. The main thing with it, from what I've read, is that salt water tanks take a long time to cycle and get set up. So unless you're thinking of a salt water tank not for another 3 years or so, then ignore me. But I personally would not want to run a freshwater planted tank for a short while, and then have to clean it all out for a salt water set up. Know what I mean? I only say this because I've had the same thoughts on my 90 gallon tank, not posted here yet, where I've thought about the switch in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was considering angles/discus! how did you know? lol

More water volume makes for less water chemistry to go a stray. It will be 3-5 years before I make the switch to salt, but not til I graduate college and get settled.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Nestle_
Planted Member

That's basically why I've been waiting to get a saltwater tank going. It'd be my luck that I get it set up, and have to move.

If you aren't in a long term home situation, then I highly suggest angels. Cheap, hardy, and fantastic character. Plus they are very easy to find, easy on plants, and did I mention great? No need to go buy expensive breeds off breeders online, or even from a LFS. Find a local breeder, or even accidental local breeder who just needs to get rid of some. Just today I bought a dozen dime sized angels for $6.
Losing any of them wouldn't hurt my wallet, versus losing a single discus which range $35 to $120 each. I'm cheap

Go for the manzanita branches look, especially with a tall tank. Manzanita with moss, val's, and other tall plants would be a good easy look. 6 angels, cardinals/rummynose/ and something like julii cory is a simple/easy/cheap tank.

I actually got some zebra loaches recently, and I think they are fantastic to watch as compared to cory's. Check into them About the same price as julii's, but need caves much more than cory's do.

Enough of my ranting, good luck!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

There was a little mix up at the LFS and instead of the 3/4 return, they installed a 1/2. All the return pumps I'm looking at have a 3/4 return. My question is do you guys think that I can include a reducer in the soft line at the pump to the 1/2 hardline and how will this affect flow?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did a little soft plumbing. What you guys think?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

looks good! paint the background black, especailly to cover up the piping. It also makes a great back drop when everything is all said and done.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
looks good! paint the background black, especailly to cover up the piping. It also makes a great back drop when everything is all said and done.
Thanks, I'm undecided about the back. I've done black paint and Slate. I might do a blue fade for a change or a 3D background.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

3d!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just put a 3d background in my tank and I love it! Hides all my equipment.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Almost there. I was waiting to see some reviews on the DC, and they didn't get my attention. I went ahead with my first choice, an Eheim 1262. I also ordered a wet/dry kit and TDS meter. I took the Eheim output nozzle to Tim over at AK Corals and he hooked me up with the perfect hose so I wouldn't need a crazy soft connection between the PVC and Ehiem, Big Thumbs Up!