Lansing Area Plant Group Interest
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 03-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
C_perugiae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lansing Area Plant Group Interest

Hi all,
After reading a few posts here and there online about the lack of fish clubs in Lansing, I talked to my boss, Rick Preuss (of Preuss Pets) about allowing me to use the store's classroom to host a gathering of my own. He's absolutely delighted by the idea.

I'd like to get some people together in the next few weeks, so I thought I'd ask around about what time would work best for everyone. Saturday nights are not ideal, as the store is extremely busy and parking is hard enough, but I was considering Friday or Sunday nights. Please PM me if you have any suggestions or know of conflicting times with other club meetings that may come up. Or heck, stop in at the shop and say hi- I love talking plants. Or fish, for that matter.

Post here if you have suggestions about a topic to get us warmed up. I was thinking about doing a short plant-tying workshop and offering a discount on plants and driftwood to anyone who shows... I'll make an extra large order of cool Anubias and ferns to make this worthwhile.

Hopefully, we can get something started in the Lansing area soon... thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions you all have.

-Sarah
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
C_perugiae
Algae Grower

We are going to meet Friday, March 30th, at 6:00PM in the store's classroom. I'll lug some driftwood and plants back so we have things to work from back there. If anyone wants to bring hairnets for Riccia, that's cool... I don't have any, but I'll bring thread and fishing line, as well as some plant weights, which also work well.

Here's a list of plants (for tying) we either have or will have by then:
Spiky Moss
Taiwan Moss
Java Moss
Monosolenium tenerum (Pellia)
Riccia fluitans
Anubias barteri (large)
Anubias nana
Anubias coffeefolia
Anubias frazeri
Anubias hastifolia
Anubias barteri var. round leaf
Anubias petite
Anubias sp. wrinkled (or wavy)
Anubias sp. marbled (or variegated)
Anubias nana sp. gold
Java Fern
Windelov Fern
Java Fern "narrow"
Java Fern "Tropica"
Bolbitis heudelotii

I think that's it, anyway... seems like I was excited about getting something that we haven't had before and it's not on the list... I guess I'll remember later, huh?

We're also offering 15% off driftwood and 10-50% off the plants that are used in the workshop. I'll do 20% off any other plants you buy that day, too, if you bring in a printed copy of this post.

Any questions, just call the store and ask for me, or PM me here... I'll keep my eyes open for messages.

Thanks,
Sarah

Last edited by C_perugiae; 03-17-2007 at 12:25 AM..
C_perugiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Otis
Algae Grower

Default Club

Can we bring our own plants or does everything have to be purchased there?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
C_perugiae
Algae Grower

You can bring your own plants, but let me know when you come in so they don't get mixed up with everything else. I figure I'll write out receipts by hand for people to bring to the front to be rung up, instead of confusing the poor cashiers with chunks of driftwood and plants that aren't tagged.

Since this is a retail establishment, I'd rather not get into people selling plants to each other. If you'd like to trade or share, that's okay... again, just let me know.

I forgot to mention that we have a bunch of moss balls, as well... I'll bring some of those back so we can play around with using them to carpet stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

I'm interested! I know I'm from Cleveland, but I come to Eaton Rapids 1-2 times a month and we have nothing here...

Please pm me if this happens.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

I'm coming!!!! Everyone be there or be SQUARED!
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
C_perugiae
Algae Grower

Thought I'd drop by and remind everyone about this coming Friday... 6:00 to 8:30PM... Preuss Pets, Lansing...

We're getting in new driftwood, and the plants are coming in pretty much right before the workshop, so whoever shows gets first dibs on the shipment! Looks like we'll have a great turnout already; the more, the merrier!.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
C_perugiae
Algae Grower

Reminder to everyone... workshop is tonight!
See ya there...

-Sarah
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
bullhead
Algae Grower

darn,I missed it.Are you planning on doing anymore ?
bullhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

It was fun, I liked it a lot. Plus the plants looked gorgeous!!!
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote