Water flow and water current...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Water flow and water current...

I am trying to think outside of the box dealing with the water flow and direction. I have a 40g. I have an API XP M filter with 300gph flow rate. A Maxi Jet 1200 powerhead with 156gph flow rate. So far, I have both of them blowing water from my back, right tank corner, and to the left front of the tank. The powerhead is slightly power down so that my DHG carpet would get some flow. The problem is that there are a lot of currents in the mid tank section. And a dead spot by the front, right lower corner. I am getting the feeling that the lower, right side of my tank isn't getting enough flow by the substrate. There are tones of debris by that area.

Well, now, I am experimenting something different. I have my XP filter, on the right, back side of the tank, blowing at the right side of the tank glass. This creates a downward action and forcing the water to move from lower right to the left of the tank. I am getting a steadily flow of water current literally on the substrate lower from the right side of the tank to the left side. Of course, I have no mid and top water movement now. So, I pointed my powerhead, which is on the right side of the tank, blowing straight across to the left side. Basically, the powerhead is causing water movements in the mid and top levels of thank. The API XP filter is responsible for moving the water on the substrate level (clockwise position) since it is powerful enough. Anyone seeing any problems with this configuration?

My tank is very, very, very densely planted.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You are doing right to keep working with it. Where you see debris accumulating is a potential problem spot.

You can also use a stick (like a chopstick or something longer) with several threads attached to it to see what the current is doing in different areas of the tank.

When you set up more than one pump (power head, filter...) you want to make sure they are not set to cross each others' path. That would create some turmoil, but then cancel out the flow. A good set up is to think about either a clockwise or anticlockwise pattern and set up all the flows to contribute to that.
More complex is a flow from back to front, like you would have with just one filter, HOB or a can with a spray bar. Then, where do you place the power head?
Another easy one is the Hillstream set up from here:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You are doing right to keep working with it. Where you see debris accumulating is a potential problem spot.

You can also use a stick (like a chopstick or something longer) with several threads attached to it to see what the current is doing in different areas of the tank.

When you set up more than one pump (power head, filter...) you want to make sure they are not set to cross each others' path. That would create some turmoil, but then cancel out the flow. A good set up is to think about either a clockwise or anticlockwise pattern and set up all the flows to contribute to that.
More complex is a flow from back to front, like you would have with just one filter, HOB or a can with a spray bar. Then, where do you place the power head?
Another easy one is the Hillstream set up from here:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane
Thanks. I decided to switch to both the filter outlet and the powerhead blowing the same direction. From back right corner, at 45 degree angle, to the front of the glass. Moving to the left in a clockwise position. This way, I would get flow on the DHG carpet while moving the water to the left of the tank. And I pointed the powerhead a bit down to get some water movement over my dead spot.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.