Current Satellite Freshwater - Blue Light cause photosynthesis?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
jaekwong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Current Satellite Freshwater - Blue Light cause photosynthesis?

Hi there

I own the
Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture. And I'm wondering, in the late late evenings I want to be able to enjoy my tank but understand I have to turn off the lights and co2 to stop photosynthesis from occuring.

BUT.

Is it possible to perhaps use the 'moon sign' lighting which is like a blue night color and still have photosynthesis occur? Basically I'm wondering is it safe to leave the dim blue lights on my curreent sattellite fixure on safely without any photosynthesis happening?

Thank you
jaekwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I mean, moonlights are a thing, and this sounds similar, so I think you'd be alright
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

It's good you asked this question. So few people ever seem to give it a first thought.

I did some fact checking. Actual moonlight is too dim to cause photosynthesis. At the next opportunity find a dark place and observe the landscape where you are standing to see how dim even full Moon moonlight really is.

Here's my opinion. From what I gather these moonlights leds allow rather easy viewing of tank contents with that in mind I'd say there's some level of photosynthesis. One more thing that bothers me about these moonlights always being blue, that's not the color of moonlight which is white. If you decide to use this light remember to turn it off before you go to bed. Flora and fauna need several hours of complete darkness.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You should be fine. It doesn't even have to be blue, as long as it's dim and doesn't have enough PAR to drive any growth.

I use four 24" strips of 5050 SMD RGB LEDs over my tank in conjunction with my Ray 2 to extend my viewing time and add color. Since the 5050's are so dim, I can run them outside of my usual growth photoperiod for tank viewing and not cause issues.

The lights are controlled by an arduino. Right now I'm doing a sunrise mix from 6am till noon. Then at noon the Ray 2 comes on and I switch the 5050's to full red for added color. They run that way until the Ray 2 shuts down at 10pm, and then I run a sunset mix until 11:45 pm, and then finally switch to moonlights until 1am. I get to see my tank all the time now.

That amounts to 19 hours of lighting for viewing, but only 10 hours of growth lighting. I've been doing this for a few weeks now with zero change in plant growth and no algae issues. I love it because I can see my tank pretty much any time I am awake.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
You should be fine. It doesn't even have to be blue, as long as it's dim and doesn't have enough PAR to drive any growth.

I use four 24" strips of 5050 SMD RGB LEDs over my tank in conjunction with my Ray 2 to extend my viewing time and add color. Since the 5050's are so dim, I can run them outside of my usual growth photoperiod for tank viewing and not cause issues.

The lights are controlled by an arduino. Right now I'm doing a sunrise mix from 6am till noon. Then at noon the Ray 2 comes on and I switch the 5050's to full red for added color. They run that way until the Ray 2 shuts down at 10pm, and then I run a sunset mix until 11:45 pm, and then finally switch to moonlights until 1am. I get to see my tank all the time now.

That amounts to 19 hours of lighting for viewing, but only 10 hours of growth lighting. I've been doing this for a few weeks now with zero change in plant growth and no algae issues. I love it because I can see my tank pretty much any time I am awake.
You've been doing this for just a few weeks. So, how do you know this won't in the long run have any affect. I'm certain you know the plants you have in your tank were grown under natural lighting conditions by commercial plant growers and at best they would receive 12 hours of light total. So you can't say what affect your schedule will have. It's not wise to endorse what you don't know for certain.

Have you noticed on some of your stem plants leaves later in the day pointing vertically instead of horizontally? If you have, do you know what that indicates?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
You've been doing this for just a few weeks. So, how do you know this won't in the long run have any affect. I'm certain you know the plants you have in your tank were grown under natural lighting conditions by commercial plant growers and at best they would receive 12 hours of light total. So you can't say what affect your schedule will have. It's not wise to endorse what you don't know for certain.

Have you noticed on some of your stem plants leaves later in the day pointing vertically instead of horizontally? If you have, do you know what that indicates?
Boy... you are making some assumptions here. It's not wise to assume things you don't know for certain, right? None of my plants were from commercial growers... all were from hobbyists on here. Any no, none of them are growing weird or pointing up late in the day. As with anything in this hobby, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. This happens to be working fine for me.

The SMD 5050 RGB LED lights are very dim. I just checked my iPhoto library, and I've actually been doing this for a month. With EI dosing, CO2, and a Ray 2, I would have noticed any adverse effects by now. Observing for a full month after a lighting change is pretty good. No algae, no strange growth, and very healthy plants. Peek at the last page of my journal to see that.

To give you an idea of how dim they are, here is my tank with the just the RGBs on, and then with the Ray 2. Both were taken with a full 1 second exposure, ISO 100, F3.8 at night.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Boy... you are making some assumptions here. It's not wise to assume things you don't know for certain, right? None of my plants were from commercial growers... all were from hobbyists on here. Any no, none of them are growing weird or pointing up late in the day. As with anything in this hobby, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. This happens to be working fine for me.

The SMD 5050 RGB LED lights are very dim. I just checked my iPhoto library, and I've actually been doing this for a month. With EI dosing, CO2, and a Ray 2, I would have noticed any adverse effects by now. Observing for a full month after a lighting change is pretty good. No algae, no strange growth, and very healthy plants. Peek at the last page of my journal to see that.

To give you an idea of how dim they are, here is my tank with the just the RGBs on, and then with the Ray 2. Both were taken with a full 1 second exposure, ISO 100, F3.8 at night.

I've been growing plants starting way back in 1986. I'm making educated assumptions.

I one second exposure doesn't tell anyone quantitatively how bright the light is or even how much PAR is being output. It really means nothing.

Leaves pointing upward isn't a weird thing. It happens in nature and I've seen it in my tank. It's a sign indicating the plant is reducing the amount of light it receives because it's photosynthetic needs have been met.

I'll take a look at your journal
Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I one second exposure doesn't tell anyone quantitatively how bright the light is or even how much PAR is being output. It really means nothing.
It wasn't quantitive, it was illustrative.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It wasn't quantitive, it was illustrative.
You've made the point I am stressing. This forum is full of qualitative opinions.
You may be correct, but we just don't know.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yup, we don't know how it would work in any tank other than mine. I know that in my tank there are no adverse effects, my plants are lush and healthy (as you can see in my journal), I'm not fighting any algae, and the light adds a great amount of pleasure during the off peak hours when I get to see my tank.

If anybody ever wants to loan me a PAR meter that reads super low numbers, I'll pull a reading off them.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
Michael M
Planted Member

Current Satellite LED+ user here.

I've thought about moonlight vs no moonlight quite a bit. I have no idea if plants are harmed by being exposed to 'moonlights' or not, though they are certainly not anything like natrual moonlight.

I think the Current LED+ has way nicer settings than the preset 'moonlights' though, I really like the 'Dawn and Dusk' settings, I do run them in the evening.

However around 9pm, it's lights off until 7am the next day. I do this for the sake of my african clawed frogs and fish though. I don't like exposing them to moonlight all night, I do think they benefit from a period of total darkness.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #12
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

I'm curious about the stem plants and leaf orientation throughout the day. I was always under the assumption that the leaves close up at night, and open during the day. Once the plant gets used to the photo period I've found that it will begin to close late in the cycle, but before the lights go off. Was I wrong? Is it really that the plant is at its limit for light and wants to reduce its exposure?

Matt

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
johnmcleren
Algae Grower

Default reply

Your idea is perfect. It will work just fine and the process of photosynthesis won`t stop too.
johnmcleren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
You've made the point I am stressing. This forum is full of qualitative opinions.
I am bumping this to the top, because now I can measure. Earlier I was quite confident that my lights were not driving plant growth. I knew what I was seeing, but without measurement, all I could argue was observation, which isn't science. Well, today I got a PAR meter, so I took some measurements of my 5050 SMD RGB LEDs.

In my "sunset" evening mode, which runs after the Ray 2 shuts down, they measure 1 PAR below the surface, down to about the 1/2 way mark (6-7" deep), and then they go to zero pretty much everywhere. My moonlight reads zero, everywhere. My morning mode reads the exact same as my sunset.

This is great! Now I know with confidence that I'm not driving any plant growth by using them outside of the photoperiod. That is, unless < 1 par drives plant growth.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

As far as the OP's concerns go. I was messing with mine tonight and found what I consider to be the ideal "moonlight" setting. First pick a standard setting, then turn each channel down (RGB and white) until they're all off, then turn RGB each up one notch while leaving the White LEDs off. You can now hold down one of the Memory buttons until the light blinks and your moonlight setting is saved. Light output in this mode isn't even detectable in a moderately lit room but visible in the dark, you could tweak it to taste obviously.