Ultrasonic foggers (without all the hubbub)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-19-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I know very little about these devices except their function and I'd like to set one up in my paludarium. I hope to set one up so it can run through most of the day and produce a very, very light fog in the tank. Since I know very little about these devices, I have a couple questions:

1) Are they safe to use in the same setup as plants/animals? What precautions, if any, must be taken? Are there special brands/types better suited for aquarium use?

2) Could animals (dogs, cats, amphibians, ferrets, fish) be disturbed by the device? I am not a biology wizard, but I'd think that the frequency of sound produced by these devices is too high for most animals to pick up.

I am assuming that they are not safe and that maintenance isn't too bad (maybe top it off once a day). I can easily set up a little "fogger box" outside and above my tank, if necessary, and let the fog pour in. Any suggestions/links?

BTW, I looked at the other fogger thread and, despite the volume and size of posts, didn't find the answers I was looking for.

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

Did you see my last post on that topic. It has my plans for my fogger chamber.

To the best of my knowledge, (Trust it as you see fit.), to summarize that lengthy reply.

Are they safe for direct use within the tank. (No) we both agreed on that.

Precautions. (Physical burn-like damage from direct contact with the stream. Excessive heating of water from prolonged operation. Possible bacteria build-up from not regularly changing water. Possible pneumonia from extended use.)

Any special brands? (No, only one company manufactures this device, they are all the same. Right down to the power-pack. Only the name on the box is different.)

Animals will not be disturbed by the sound of the element which creates the fog. (However, the whole unit may rattle from secondary sound during operation if not mounted to a surface. {Sounding like an electric toothbrush banging against the surface that the device rests on. The jet that is produced, forces the unit back-wards, as the jet goes fore-ward.})

These are not safe for unattended operation where life can contact the stream. However, the fog is totally safe. Provided that all above cautions are taken into consideration. (For the record, have now owned three of these, from different "Box labels", and each is built exactly the same, and operates the same. I now have them for providing my morning and night fog roll-in, and one provides constant humidity for my iguana. {The one inside the bucket from the last post drawing.})

One word about chemical concentration also, don't continually (TOP-OFF) the water in this device. sediment buildup from topping off will easily stop this from operating, and the chemical concentration and salt, may further enhance the above mentioned conditions of bacteria and pneumonia. It will be better to replace stagnant water every week.

Don't forget, you will be breathing this air also, it will rise out of the tank and into your house. (This will also make your house feel about 10 - 20 degrees colder, if used for extended periods.)
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm...looks like I'll have to put this off until I can invest more time researching and planning such a project. I don't want too much fog...barely enough to be visible, really.

Would it help to use distilled water? I mean, from the chemical buildup standpoint.

Also, are there other types of foggers that might be more appropriate for this type of application?
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #4
Zurp
Planted Member

If you only want a mild fog, I would suggest using a timer with half hour settings, or 15 min settings.

Home Depo has an electric timer that can let things run for as little as 2 min. but there are only 8 slots for on/off. This may be what you need. (I use half hour settings, 30min. on, 30min. off, 30min. on, One hour of total operation per duration, with a half hour between settings.)

Yes, distilled water and reverse osmosis water are a preferred filler for use. However, all water contains dissolved minerals to some point. This becomes noticeable through testing and solidification from slower evaporation.

One more note. The water level sensor on these things are garbage. They corrode and stop the fogger from working when water levels are more than perfect. (You should clean the sensor and the disk with every water change, weekly. Use a soft toothbrush with a small drop of distilled vinegar on it. Then wipe off with a paper-towel.)
Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

i have seen one of these things on a 55 gallon aquarium and the aquarium was half empty with like a log and lang on top of the water half way and it looked cool....always wanted to do this...could i on a 29 gallon?
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #6
Zurp
Planted Member

Yup, the fog normally stays about three inches high in my 55 and stays rather thin. In my 20 gallon long, the fog rose to about five inches, and was thick like concert fog. I think that my 20 Long,and your 29 gallon have the same footprint, only yours is taller, (I think).

The fog will rise as the unit heats up, heating up the fog, which will give a deeper fog that is also thinner. Also, any temprature variaton from heaters will thin out fog, as they create convex curents within the tank.

(Eventually, with extended use, the whole tank will be filled with a medium fog. This usualy happens after about one hour of continuous use, as the humidity and temprature rise, holding lighter droplets in the air longer.)
Old 01-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Zurp
Planted Member

Sears has an ultrasonic humidifyer for about $48.00. There are four fog level settings, and two fan speed settings. The water is even chemically filtered, in the one gallon storage container. This may be what you are looking for.

For a cost of ten dollars over the average price of a normal fogger unit, you get the whole setup. (Water storage container, water filter, adjustable voltage levels for the fogger, and distribution fan)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=04214175000
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
halfsour
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurp View Post
Did you see my last post on that topic. It has my plans for my fogger chamber.

To the best of my knowledge, (Trust it as you see fit.), to summarize that lengthy reply.

Are they safe for direct use within the tank. (No) we both agreed on that.
And why would that be the case?
Quote:
Precautions. (Physical burn-like damage from direct contact with the stream. Excessive heating of water from prolonged operation. Possible bacteria build-up from not regularly changing water. Possible pneumonia from extended use.)
I've never owned an ultrasonic fogger but as far as I know they don't produce excessive heat. I could be wrong though. Especially with those small diameter metal disk type with LED's. The way an ultrasonic fogger works is by vibrating a speaker at extremely low frequency which in turn changes water into a mist. As far as I have seen ultrasonic devices do not create much heat but I've never seen the less expensive smaller units in person to say for sure. I think I did see a youtube video once where a small fogger melted the plastic container it was in. I would guess the rubber floater that they sell to go around it would solve some of those issues but maybe not. And I don't think the fog is steam it just might be hot from an inferior fogger raising the water temperature. It just might seem hot because the water temp is rising from the inexpensive foggers heat.

As far as I Know Nutramist and Repti foggers do not buildup heat. A Nutramist fogger can use tap water without clogs as it's actually made for hydroponic gardening to mist nutrient solutions to the plants roots.
Quote:
Any special brands? (No, only one company manufactures this device, they are all the same. Right down to the power-pack. Only the name on the box is different.)
Once again very untrue. There are many different models of foggers.

Reptifogger
Nutramist
and many other resold chinese versions of a basic fogger
Many people even make their own..

Most likely the humidifier you have in your house is using an ultrasonic fogger and it's not the same one as everyone else with a different name.. There are many different designs on the market for different purposes. For example I use a Nutramist 10 in my garden.
Quote:
Animals will not be disturbed by the sound of the element which creates the fog. (However, the whole unit may rattle from secondary sound during operation if not mounted to a surface. {Sounding like an electric toothbrush banging against the surface that the device rests on. The jet that is produced, forces the unit back-wards, as the jet goes fore-ward.})
First accurate statement as far as I'm concerned but did you kniow they make floating buoy's? This floats the fogger at just the right depth and has a rubber gasket around the edges to prevent vibrational noise when touching another surface. You could also lok into the Reptifogger whic sits on a shelf outside the environment and uses tubing to pipe in the fog as needed.
Quote:
These are not safe for unattended operation where life can contact the stream. However, the fog is totally safe. Provided that all above cautions are taken into consideration. (For the record, have now owned three of these, from different "Box labels", and each is built exactly the same, and operates the same. I now have them for providing my morning and night fog roll-in, and one provides constant humidity for my iguana. {The one inside the bucket from the last post drawing.})
The best unit for your Iguana is the Reptifogger.

If you go to youtube you can see the Reptifogger in action.

Quote:
One word about chemical concentration also, don't continually (TOP-OFF) the water in this device. sediment buildup from topping off will easily stop this from operating, and the chemical concentration and salt, may further enhance the above mentioned conditions of bacteria and pneumonia. It will be better to replace stagnant water every week.
Get a Reptifogger and no, I don't have any affiliation with it. It just happens to be the best fogger for reptiles.

If you want to use one of those inexpensive and I guess HOT foggers, you may want to consider buying a 3" polyethylene pipe and cut it down to the size of your tank. Stand it straight up and place an endcap on the bottom. You could punch holes in the sides near the top and fill that with the water. Polyethylene is one of the strongest plastics you can buy. It dissipates heat quickly and has a high heat tolerance. It's also FDA and USDA approved material so you can be sure your not drenching your reptile in PCB's.. This method would allow you to keep the unit inside the tank without fear of burning your lizard.
halfsour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Wow. Thread ressurection. You did notice the thread was almost six years old right?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
halfsour
Algae Grower

Yeah I noticed after the fact.. :x

I was googling reviews on foggers myself and stumbled onto the forum. Too bad I was replying to ancient discussions. lol!
halfsour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.