FASTEST way to cycle a tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
Left Coast DJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Why not take an entire filter from an established tank and put it in the new tank? Instant cycle!

About 4-5 weeks before I set up a new tank, I stick one of my spare AC50s in an established tank. So when the new tank is ready for fish, I just move the AC50 over along with the first group of fish. So until the canister in the new tank gets going, the AC50 should carry the load.

DJ
Left Coast DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
CarolF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you have fish friends the quickest way to cycle a tank is to get lots of squeezings from their sponge filter and put it in your tank. Or you can buy a cycled filter online but that costs about as much as the bio starter.

I have other tanks and always keep cycled sponges or sponges as back up. I just take the squeezings and sometimes some of the substrate that is well used and instant cycle.
CarolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Well if BioSpira isn't available then I would suggest Seachem's Stability. It works great, is less expensive and does the same thing, albeit over a longer period of time. You must follow the directions carefully, failure to follow the schedule will result in fish deaths...but it does work well!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #19
chasedafish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default new tank start up

i have a 20g with a new sand bottom, new filter, plants, etc.. do i run the filter when starting the fishless cycle? also can i add plants right away or should wait till the balance has set in?
chasedafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #20
retoid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
That is the 100% incorrect way to use Bio Spira. It must have a food source immediately, and that can only come from fish. It is intended and designed to be added with a full fish load at the same time.

I believe that it is this misconception and "sacrilegious" idea of fully stocking a tank from day one that has prevented Bio Spira from being more widely available, or at least stocked by PetSmart, Petco, etc. If you add Bio Spira to the tank, then wait a day, then add only a few fish, most of the bacteria will die off. If you then add more fish in a short time frame, there won't be enough bacteria to get rid of the ammonia and urea that is produced, and you're left with the impression that the Bio Spira didn't work, and is no different than the multitude of other "snake oil" type bacterial products in the aquarium marketplace.
You are totally right. I was unaware of how it worked. Sorry for the incorrect info. I stand corrected.
retoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

Chasedafish, start with a ton of fast growing stems right away. Also, when you mean fishless cycle, are you referring to the process of adding ammonia? This isn't necessary and if you have a good amount of those fast growing stems in your tank from the beginning, you will hardly notice the cycle. All of the tanks I've started in the last year started heavily planted, with fish and BioSpira. I've been told you can skip the BioSpira but, I prefer to be on the safe side.
Digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #22
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

To answer your question chasedafish, you should run the filter. But they are all right about planting heavy and really needing to finish the cycle before you stock.

IME taking an established filter and putting it on a new tank is risky. You need to make sure you have it off and transported in a very short amount of time. The bacteria colonies can die from bad conditions (like a hot car, as I unfortunately found out). Also, much of the bacteria in a nonplanted fish tank exists on other surfaces, such as the gravel. In planted tanks, the bacteria can be found on plants as well. Using the established filter will work for small fish loads, so as long as you stock slowly, you should be ok.
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #23
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

P.S. I've been cycling a filter in a garbage can for a month and a half
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #24
chasedafish
Algae Grower

Default thanks for the help

thanks for the help! i have one more question about co2 im not sure if that is needed for my setup... it a 20g with a brand new bio wheel filter.
chasedafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #25
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

here is what I did to cylce my 10g. I took roughly 10g of water from my established 38g and put it in the 10g. I then took my penguin bio-wheel off of my other 10g and put it on my new 10g. Finished. Less then one week and it is cycled. Oh yeah, I also used endler fry to help the cycle. They are tuff little buggers.

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #26
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

Whether or not you need CO2 depends on the type of plants you are wanting to grow and the lighting you have. Do you have a lighting fixture already? What types of plants are you hoping to grow?
Digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #27
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx1 View Post
Well if BioSpira isn't available then I would suggest Seachem's Stability. It works great, is less expensive and does the same thing, albeit over a longer period of time. You must follow the directions carefully, failure to follow the schedule will result in fish deaths...but it does work well!
Sorry, but that's not correct. The best way to use Stability is to Not follow the directions and overdose it. Its just different forms of bacteria--so, technically, it can't be overdosed.

"Over-Dosing" Stability.....?

It has a 4yr shelf-life, doesn't need to be refrigerated, and is generally easier to locate (locally and online).

Believe me, with the influxes of Feeder Fish that I deal with--I've had to learn how to Instant cycle a tank. Seachem's Prime, Stability and Ammonia Alert.

HTH
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
FishScape
Algae Grower

You could also use stress-zyme from api. I dont think it works as quick as Bio-Spira but it will help to cycle your tank faster then normal
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 AM   #29
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

Cycling a tank for weeks is a thing of the past. Cycle and stability, are great products that boost the biological filter and work great if you don't kill them (with a UV filter for example) since they are water borne. Eco is an excellent substrate, and comes with living bacteria on it. Plants also aid in cycling because they use up ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I cycled a 125Gal tank for 3 days before putting in fish, and had no problems at all. Don't be fooled though, putting in too many fish at once at any time can result in problems. In one week you can have the aquarium completely setup if you're careful and work hard.

You cannot overdose Cycle or Stability or any of those other products. I think what Styxx1 meant was that you had to dose as often and as much as they tell you, and not any less. This is NOT TRUE and is simply the company's way of getting you to use more of their product. Once your bio filter is setup and your tank is completely finished, you should have no variations in the nitrogen cycle. That means adding extra bacteria will be wasteful. It is at times like adding new fish, or in broad terms, new stress on the bio filter, that you need to add bacteria.
Ukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #30
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

why the whole filter? just use the sponge of your established tank to a new one.