have any of you bought the plant bulbs at walmart? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #31
matt_vasko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 130 watt pc light with 10k bulbs I used to dose with excel and other stuff but now the lily pad just runs the show haha
Thanks
matt_vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #32
Scotty
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retoid View Post
I hate walmart and refuse to shop there.
I am with you totally!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #33
outlate
Algae Grower

Default petco bulbs

I bought some of these in Feb of 2008. None grew, sent them to the address for replacements last april. I just received my bulbs. I totally forgot about them, it had been like 8 months. I will post pictures if any of them grow.
outlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #34
Mattydiah
Algae Grower

Ive done Walmart bulbs a few times. Most of them seem to sprout, but theres almost always a dead one in the package.

I've had the one that sprouts flowers in my tank for a while now. They sprout bulbs every now and then that you can cut off and replant.

Honestly, they will grow in anything if you can get them to sprout. When I first planted them, I had crap light, no ferts and no CO2 and they grew like weeds.
Mattydiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #35
frozenbarb
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb

I went to Petsmart and brought the Top Fin Betta Bulbs.
I always wanted them so badly and try it out. They came with at least 10 little bulbs.

I'll let everyone know if they decide to sprout.
frozenbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #36
outlate
Algae Grower

About how long for these to sprout? And also which bulbs are which? Got a lot of long thin ones. Was wondering what they will be.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #37
Sarge
Planted Member

you won't know till they grow... bro...

It depends on the tank... no joke, they will sprout with no light, I am dead serious.

In my 20 gal high light, EI dosing, DIY CO2 (upkept) I have 2 of them and they are all over the place, I have 3 flowering heads per bulb outside of the tank.

In my highly neglected 55, nothing but sand and cold water, I have one that has two pads and a pitiful excuse for a flower.

It takes time, it took a month for the ones in my 20 Gal to take off, now they've done away with their bulb and are self sustaining.
Eheim Pimp #347
aka
The 347 Pimp

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NAAGC/
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #38
ofrd3steve

Default walmart plant bulbs

i bought some apologens bulbs from walmart. the easyiest way to get these to grow is as follows..... plant all the bulbs that you want into the tank under neath the gravel. wait 24 hours take them out discard any that float. the ones that float are rotten and not even worth the time of growing. keep the ones that sink right away. spread out the roots so they can catch onto ur substrate. plant roots down and the head up just above the gravel. make sure they are away from air bubbler wands or any other decorations that move the water. it might move them around and the roots wont catch onto anything. make sure you have a good substrate such as complete substrate from tetra. have good lighting, floresenct compacts work best. keep light on for 10 hours then of for 12. sometimes the fish will nibble at it once it starts sprouting in that case you really cant avoid it. if its still not growing you could try using some fertilizer to git it going alot faster. another good suggestion is to get co2 injection. this works for me i can get 4 out of 5 to grow!!!! not to appealing plants so i dont waste much time with these kind of bulbs. i like to see what it looks like before i buy it. took me awile to figure out how to grow these, i recomend not wasting time with them go out and buy full grown plants from a fish store.
ofrd3steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #39
redman88
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay i bought 6 packs of these bulbs. I put them all in my ten gallon tank early Dec only two of the have started to grow. i don't know how many of them i have pull out and thrown away due to fungi growing on them.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #40
NateFank
Planted Member

I bought a pack of these from petsmart, my lily has started growing and same with the onion plant and its only been like 3 weeks, i have a 55gal with 48" t5 2 54w bulbs, diy co2 and excel daily
NateFank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #41
jeff@zina.com
Planted Member

I picked up a pack a while back. Planted four in the tank, two in a pot on the windowsill. Two sprouted in the tank, one has flowered. Both on the windowsill sprouted and grow fine, thoughh no flowers yet. The pot is kept damp, boglike, and has heavy amounts of peat in the planting mix.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #42
outlate
Algae Grower

It's been 5 weeks and nothing happening yet, none of them floated, but none have sprouted yet either.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #43
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If they feel soft or smell bad, dont leave them in your tank. Petco has been getting bulbs that still have a little moisture in them. Most of the ones at Walmart are very dried up. Watch for the ones with some weight to them to start, Id guess this product has a shelf life thats only a few months or so.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #44
seadee33
Algae Grower

Default lilly

I used bulbs from Wal mart. Sometimes they sprout sometimes not. But I have a beutiful deep red lilly in one of my tanks from these bulbs. It grows with no light, no fert,s no co2. It grows faster in better conditions, but does not need any pampering. It splits off into new plants as well that I transfer to other tanks. The guarantee is usless to me because I can never seem to mail it back (just a bad procrastinator I guess) Im going out to get some of the ones from petco/petsmart today. I will try them out and post how they come out.
seadee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #45
djscotty
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_vasko View Post
Plants
Mine look exactly like this. They have grown wonderfully. I am wondering if I clip them will they grow back. Yes mine are from walmart as well. They have overwhelmed the tank and the fish absolutely love them.
djscotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aponogeton, bulbs