Giving Emersed a Go! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #31
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I did read your thread. Maybe it will go away on its own. I had that thought. I dont have the money to spend on a big light fixture, but i could get a higher wattage cfl?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #32
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

The more light you can add the better, whether that comes from higher wattage fluorescent bulbs, additional light fixtures, putting the light closer to the plants (inside the tub directly above them), or using natural daylight that is what will solve the issue of plants growing.

If you have a home depot or hardware store near you have a look there for lighting options, you can often find really cheap fluorescent lighting or clip on work-bench lights for only a few bucks.

You might also try using a tub that isn't quite as tall, that would let you put the lights a lot closer.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Looks like you've got a decent start. I wouldn't worry too much about mold or algae. The mold will probably pop up on your soil for a while, I'm still getting some in the pots I started in June. If it starts to grow on the plants you can dose it as suggested earlier, or remove it manually. I wouldn't stress changing your water, it's gonna turn a brownish/yellow hue due to tannins in the soil. I've got the same water in my 20L as when I started it in Feb./Mar. I add a little from time to time when it gets too low. The sides of both of my emersed tanks are growing algae, no worries. Moss on your soil will help prevent other things(mold/fungus/algae) from growing on it. I took a couple decent clumps of xmas moss and chopped it up super fine with scissors before I spread it out. The moss filled started growing within a week. I wouldn't stress the O2 exchange too much at this point, you've got so few plants in there... I'd be more concerned with keeping the humidity up! I open up only a small section of my 55 about once a week(when I think about it) for maybe an hour or so(my 20L gets opened even less) & have had no problems.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #34
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

okay so: don't worry about mold, get better lighting
and it seems like everyones' actual soil is wetter than mine, could that be a problem?

zapins: i wanted a deeper tub because I have a lot of stem plants so I wanted to give them room to grow
Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #35
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

Default ending

I've officially decided to discontinue this project :/ right now I think I would rather have a few planted vases with stem plants and attempt them to be dirted? This tub may refeature in the future for trimmings! Thanks for all of your help guys. I think I will retry emersed another time