Giving Emersed a Go! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

hey guys, i've accumulated mold overnight! why is this? is it because i don't have enough airflow since its covered all day?
I have these glass panels I stole from my job (shh dont tell) so I could put one on and that would leave half of the tub open.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You can spray the mold with a 1 to 4 part hydrogen peroxide. Make sure water levels are kept low as possible. Kept humidity high, but moisture low as possible.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #18
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

USe moss, moss is an apparent anti fungal/mold. Works amazing
Each pot put some moss and it will spread and prevent fungus and mold. I had some white mold or fungus pop up in a pot, I threw some java moss on it and it went away in less then two days.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

I will try the moss! I will also lower the water and allow more air
Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

okay so i put the moss around and replaced the tub cover with one of the glass panels. it fits perfectly, and leaves about a 2.5" space in the back for airflow. Tattooedfool- you say the mold goes away fast? i hope so
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

You could always pick the mold off the top and put the moss on then. Removes it quicker and it won't come back.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure, the two kinds I have in 2 submerged tanks haven't put out any new leaves. And I had another Anubias of a different variety put out a yellow leave that has since changed to green. So only assumptions at this point
Both my anubias (nana and barteri)
Grow the new leaves yellow and then turn green too, and they are submerged.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

okay so REDO:
i think the lack of air and too much water made a deadly combo of nauseating water :|
so!

i also threw some water sprite in the water too since its like my personal duckweed

any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

i've got mold again. i may dump this, since i have no growth either :/
Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Don't give up man, just gotta find the right balance. My tank is a 55 gallon with a couple if lowes cut pieces of glass as the lid. They don't fit extremely right but right enough where humidity is always 85% and air temp is a little over 70 degrees. I have a heater in the water cranked to 80 and a single rio power head to move water from one side to the other.

The water level stays below the dirt and I have moss in every pot which keeps mold and fungus at a stand still. I also use a single air stone which I believe helps with humidity. But all my plants grow like crazy, I have cut and filled up two tanks just with emersed clippings and plan on adding more and more as my own personal plant bank.
My lights are just 2-6500k t8 lights from lowes and u keep them on 14hrs a day, is like to have t5s but haven't had a stahl out on plant growth to force me to upgrade my lights so for now ill stick with it. I haven't changed my water ever and just topped it out. I did add a couple ml if flourish to the water for no reason. The dirt hasn't been depleted yet so no reason to add anything. Every time something fails its just something learned to not do the next time.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #26
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

For this to be successful am i going to need more tech? Everyone made it seem so easy. I just feel like I'm growing a mold tank instead of plants.
My water got so disgusting too. Over a span of less than a week it became nauseating.
What could be causing this? I don't think I have very much humidity, but I'm worried that lack of air will just cause more mold. I'm frustrated
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

You need exactly what you have. If the water got gross quick the. Just plan to change the water every other day. And if you change it every other day then keep the lid on until you change the water and then that will be the air exchange then close the lid and let it go. What kind of soil did you use? Is there alot of wood in it? My first emersed tub was micro swords in a Tupperware container with Saran Wrap over it under a light. And it grew quickly.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #28
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

Maybe. It was just potting soil from my shed.
So should I leave the glass cover as is with the 2.5" air gap, or put the bin's original cover back on? I wasn't planning on doing water changes that often
Old 09-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #29
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I used miracle gro organic garden soil. Not sure if it matters or not but I know that some soils have a lot of fertilizers in them. Personally I would leave the lid on and maybe pop it open everyday to allow stagnant air to escape and new air to go in. You don't have to do water changes at all. That's up to you
Old 09-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #30
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I am reposting my original reply on PT for anyone who is curious as to what is going on here.

When you say mold what exactly does it look like? Mold and fungus is quite common when you start up a new batch of soil but after a few days it dies off and you don't see it again.

The bad kind of fungus I am talking about is thin, like spider web, slightly yellow, and digests plants into goo rather quickly.

Emersed setups are pretty easy to get going and care free, you do not have to change the water daily or even agitate it at all. The water will probably grow algae in it, but that makes no difference to the plant growth so I just ignore it completely.

I'm going to say that your problem is a rather severe lack of lighting. Fungus doesn't like high light at all, and you only have CFL 14watt. The spiral type bulb in there loses half of the light it puts out because it restrikes the coils, subtract all the light that doesn't shine the 10 degrees straight down into your tank and you are probably only getting a few watts of light to the plants. By comparison on my emersed tub I had a 55 watt power compact with individual reflector only 6 inches away from the plants. By comparison the lighting difference is blazing sun and a dark corner in a basement. You need more light to do this that is the most important aspect of emersed setups.

Have you had a look through my tutorial on how to start emersed tubs?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...t-emersed.html
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.